Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What did the signs mean?

I used to lead hikes etc. on weekends, and when I didn't do it other
people did, and we needed a good location to meet, near the Xway, both
for people arriving and when we were all leaving. We carpooled so 3 out
of 4 cars would be left there all day.

There was a quite small shopping center which always had a couple
hundred empty spaces. Most of the parking was near the street, but some
on the other 3 sides and I'd guess it totalled 300 spots with no more
than 50 used at a time on weekends. No more than 150 used at any time
during the week.

Eventually I found out indirectly that the owner of the property didn't
like us doing this, so I would try to get people to have lunch or dinner
at a restaurant there. (Some weekend days he drove by to check the
center or the lot but he never left a note on a car.)

But the strange thing was the signs, along the outside border of the
lot. "Cars must be parked between the lines" is all it said. And there
were typical parking lot lines, white lines of the usual width on a
black or dark grey pavement, spaced as they usually are in parking lots.
It was easy to park between the lines and everyone did. I think we
would have even were there no signs.

Nothing about illegal parkers being towed away.

What could he have wanted when he wrote those signs?

Have you ever seen signs like that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-17, micky wrote:

Nothing about illegal parkers being towed away.

Do you know for a fact your car was towed?

I'd call the police and file a stolen vehicle report. That should
bring things to a head, tout de suite.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 10:03:45 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
[...]

For people to park between the lines and not just
anywhere.

Have you ever seen signs like that?

I can't recall seeing any. Typically they do have signs
that address what you're doing though, which is using their
business lot for a commuter lot. Signs that say something
to the effect that parking is only for people while visiting
these stores. And if you park there, then wander off to go
hiking, or even wander off to walk across the street to some
other stores, don't be surprised if you get towed. Buying
a doughnut and then leaving for 3 hours, isn't a defense.
And many lots have agreements with the towing company, so
the towing guys have spotters there, waiting to see you leave.
With no signage, you might be alright, but I wouldn't bet on
it. I'd bet the default position is that private lots like
that are for reasonable use while visiting the businesses
there, even if it's not stated explicitly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/17/2015 10:03 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

Plenty of people park over the lines and you don't want to park within
the lines around them so they may be in effect hogging three spaces.

I would not like you parking in my lot either and parkers should think
about this and park away from the businesses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
[...]

Exactly what he said. ie: Don't hog 2 spots.

We have a similar problem with our ski meetup. Cars have been towed. The
solution is to find Park & Ride lots, or side streets without parking
restrictions.

If businesses allow anyone to park for extended periods in their lots, any lot
near a bus stop would become a de-facto P&R lot, and customers could have
troubles find parking.

Have you ever seen signs like that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/17/2015 10:03 AM, micky wrote:
[the characters from the original post have been recycled]

Nothing about illegal parkers being towed away.

What could he have wanted when he wrote those signs?

Have you ever seen signs like that?

Find a Sears or Kmart parking lot.
They're always empty and there's no one left at the stores that give a ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 4:37:47 PM UTC-4, Mayhem wrote:
On 04/17/2015 10:03 AM, micky wrote:
[the characters from the original post have been recycled]

Nothing about illegal parkers being towed away.

What could he have wanted when he wrote those signs?

Have you ever seen signs like that?

Find a Sears or Kmart parking lot.
They're always empty and there's no one left at the stores that give a ****.

I was at Sears last week, needed a wrench, early evening and
boy was it dead. I mean really, really devoid of customers.
I do hope they survive though. K Mart which they merged with,
that's an even bigger mess, but at least they seem to have some
customers. Sears, their website is the worst I've seen. If
you go on there and search for "18mm metric wrench", it comes
back with a hit on every word independently. So, you have 500
items, with sockets, SAE wrenches, and the kitchen sink all
thrown in together. And then, by default, the website shows you
all the crap they are selling from all kinds of vendors, not just
Sears. At least that you can filter down to just Sears. But what
an image for customers. It looks more like a flea market than Sears.

It's another great business story. How Sears was there long before
competitors like Walmart even existed. Yet Walmart has become hugely
successful and Sears is hurting badly. Unfortunately it may be too
late to save. No sign that they are even trying....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 4:54:53 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

The fellow who owns controlling interest in saears has gotten wealth by not investing any $ in sears or kmart store. KMarts look like a flea market, broken fixtures with scratched glass cases cracked floors etc.

note you never see any sears service trucks anymore.

eddie lampert is setting nthe stage to break up what remains and sell it off piecemeal.

actually very sad. sears has ome stores half renovatedb for many years when the orders came stop all renovations.

sears owns most of it stores real estate, even in malls.

eddie had planned to sell it off for big bucks but the fiancial collapse occured, and another is coming soon......

sears where america used to shop
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-17, micky wrote:

Nothing about illegal parkers being towed away.

Do you know for a fact your car was towed?

Oh, no. No one was ever towed. I'm sorry I left that out.

I'd call the police and file a stolen vehicle report. That should
bring things to a head, tout de suite.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 writes:
On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 4:37:47 PM UTC-4, Mayhem wrote:
On 04/17/2015 10:03 AM, micky wrote:
[the characters from the original post have been recycled]

Nothing about illegal parkers being towed away.

What could he have wanted when he wrote those signs?

Have you ever seen signs like that?

Find a Sears or Kmart parking lot.
They're always empty and there's no one left at the stores that give a ****.

I was at Sears last week, needed a wrench, early evening and
boy was it dead. I mean really, really devoid of customers.
I do hope they survive though. K Mart which they merged with,
that's an even bigger mess, but at least they seem to have some
customers. Sears, their website is the worst I've seen. If
you go on there and search for "18mm metric wrench", it comes

Methinks your "search foo" is lacking. I tried
"18mm metric wrench" on www.sears.com and the
top 8 results were, guess it, 18mm metric wrenches.

Now the results are presented using flash, which I detest,
but at least they were accurate.

(note: I included the quotation marks in the query string)

http://www.sears.com/search="18mm metric wrench"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:40:42 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 07:20:03 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I can't recall seeing any. Typically they do have signs
that address what you're doing though, which is using their
business lot for a commuter lot. Signs that say something
to the effect that parking is only for people while visiting
these stores. And if you park there, then wander off to go
hiking, or even wander off to walk across the street to some
other stores, don't be surprised if you get towed. Buying
a doughnut and then leaving for 3 hours, isn't a defense.
And many lots have agreements with the towing company, so
the towing guys have spotters there, waiting to see you leave.
With no signage, you might be alright, but I wouldn't bet on
it. I'd bet the default position is that private lots like
that are for reasonable use while visiting the businesses
there, even if it's not stated explicitly.

I assume most states have a law like Florida that specifies which
signs must be posted and where they need to be before you can tow.

Including this one. My HOA goes through periods when there is loads
of empty parking and periods when everyone seems to have another car and
we're short. During one of the latter periods, when the HOA wanted to
tow a car that had been here for months, we had signs, but they weren't
good enough and we had to get better signs.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...s/0715.07.html

The lot I was talking about had, as I said, no signs about towing, and
he never towed anyone afaik.

Your other post convinces me. He didn't want people paring across two
spots, which people do to avoid getting their car dinged. The people I
see doing this park either as far from the stores as possible, or at
least beyond all the other cars. I never saw anyone do this at his lot,
maybe because of his signs.

I usually park beyond all the other cars, wherever I go. But I think
the only time I got dinged, I dinged myself, when I let go of the
shoppping cart while it was 2 feet from my car and I was on a small
hill. I had to buy another car after that.

He's never built anything in the outskirts of his parking lot, like some
shopping centers do. If he had, it would take up 100 spots or more and
the lot woudl be crowded. This way, it looks a lot nicer, less
commercial, more suburban, than most shopping centers around here. No
signs on facades except one restaurant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:27:48 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

Nothing about illegal parkers being towed away.

What could he have wanted when he wrote those signs?

Exactly what he said. ie: Don't hog 2 spots.

I guess you're right. It must have worked because I've never seen
anyone do that there. (I still drive by once a week or so, and also the
radiology clinic is there. I should be done with them after one or two
more visits.)

We have a similar problem with our ski meetup. Cars have been towed. The
solution is to find Park & Ride lots, or side streets without parking
restrictions.

When I first heard he wasnt' happy, I looked again, but there was no
good spot. One of the features of this place was, ironically, that
people could get food while waiting for the car-pools to leave, and
small** groups from the day trip could buy a meal when they got back.
Neither happened that often, but over the years it did happen a few
times.

**Large groups could too, but it never happened that more than 6 stayed.
We had brought lunch and eaten it on the trail.

If businesses allow anyone to park for extended periods in their lots, any lot
near a bus stop would become a de-facto P&R lot, and customers could have
troubles find parking.

At first I had people park as far from the stores as possible, but after
I got scared of being towed (which woudn't have happened until he first
put up new signs. but I didnt' want to goad him into doing that) I had
people park rather near the restaurant, but in the third row (the last
row in that section.)

He was in his 60's or 70's and had several properties in the area.
Maybe his complaining was just grumbling, since he knew there was plenty
of parking there. I guess he'd be in his 90's now. I forget his
name, so I don't know if he's actively running the properties or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
[...]

You really had to ask?
Come on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/17/2015 08:03 AM, micky wrote:
Have you ever seen signs like that?

My favorite sign was in a supermarket parking lot in Elko, NV that said
'no eighteen wheelers'. The parking lot was almost empty when I stopped
for groceries but a minimum wage bagger decided to give me a hard time,
ran out, and pointed to the sign. I had a set of doubles, so i just
pointed to the truck and said 'Start counting, Sparky. This is a twenty
two wheeler.'

Some businesses like WallyWorld and the Cabela mothership in Nebraska
had the epiphany that truckers have money and tend to spend it so were
more accommodating. Others obviously spend a lot of time laying out
parking lots that were truck unfriendly. Some of them even laid out
figured if it worked for his Prius it was all good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/17/2015 11:15 AM, Frank wrote:
Plenty of people park over the lines and you don't want to park within
the lines around them so they may be in effect hogging three spaces.

I've seen some parking lot striping jobs where you'd have to be damn
good to not take two spaces if you're driving an ark, excuse me, a SUV.
There's a lot of that around here with the parking lot laid out for
Civics in a town where anything smaller than a F350 dually is considered
a compact.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/17/2015 02:37 PM, Mayhem wrote:
Find a Sears or Kmart parking lot.
They're always empty and there's no one left at the stores that give a
****.

Won't work here. The KMart morphed into a Cabela's when nobody was
looking. Funny, the KMart seemed to poison the neighboring businesses.
Now that there's a magnet, everybody wants to build in that center.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/17/2015 02:54 PM, trader_4 wrote:
It's another great business story. How Sears was there long before
competitors like Walmart even existed. Yet Walmart has become hugely
successful and Sears is hurting badly. Unfortunately it may be too
late to save. No sign that they are even trying....

When I was a kid, the Montgomery Ward catalog was what you curled up
with, if only to peruse the lingerie section. There was a regional
distribution center about 8 miles away so you could call your order in
and pick it up in a couple of hours.

Somewhere along the way Wards took a wrong turn although the name lives
on as an internet retailer. It's too bad. They even survived near
nationalization by FDR.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

IMO if you live in an area with a HOA you have bigger problems than parking!

Posted to alt.home.repair

NO VEHICLES MAY EVER BE PARKED IN THIS PARKING LOT!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/17/2015 10:54 PM, rbowman wrote:
Some businesses like WallyWorld and the Cabela mothership in Nebraska had the epiphany that truckers have money and tend to spend it so were more accommodating. Others obviously spend a lot of time laying out parking lots that were truck unfriendly. Some of them even laid out loading docks that were truck unfriendly. I imagine some architect figured if it worked for his Prius it was all good.

I am not a truck driver nor do I play one on TV but...here in the mid-west, Walmart has the absolute worst parking lot entrances.
I can't imagine driving a truck/trailer through a Walmart obstacle course to get to the receiving docks.

But since it's Walmart we're talking about, the design job obviously went to the cheapest bidder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/17/2015 10:54 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 04/17/2015 08:03 AM, micky wrote:
Have you ever seen signs like that?

My favorite sign was in a supermarket parking lot in Elko, NV that said 'no eighteen wheelers'. The parking lot was almost empty when I stopped for groceries but a minimum wage bagger decided to give me a hard time, ran out, and pointed to the sign. I had a set of doubles, so i just pointed to the truck and said 'Start counting, Sparky. This is a twenty two wheeler.'

24 if you count the steering and fifth wheel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 5:17:10 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
trader_4 writes:
[...]

Interesting. I just went there and tried that search, together
with similar searches and low and behold, the results are very
different than just a couple weeks ago. This problem has existed
for years. I go there a few times a year and have seen the poor
search results almost every time. The 18mm metric wrench search
I just did a couple weeks ago and as I said, it came back with
all kinds of crap, SAE, sockets, God knows what.

Funny thing too, during that visit I got asked to do a survey.
I did, told them they sucked, and pointed out the search problem.
Hard to believe they fixed it in the last two weeks, but it sure
is working OK now. I tried a few other searches that I had similar
problems with recently, like E12 torx socket and now that produces
good results too. It's not like I could be do something wrong, back
then the same search on Ebay for example or google produced the targeted,
expected results. But the good news is that it appears to be fixed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/18/2015 07:08 AM, Senator Pocketstuffer wrote:
I am not a truck driver nor do I play one on TV but...here in the
mid-west, Walmart has the absolute worst parking lot entrances.
I can't imagine driving a truck/trailer through a Walmart obstacle
course to get to the receiving docks.

The company I worked for had a Walmart contract for a while, so I've
been to a few. Most weren't too bad but you had to know where you're
going. There are two Walmarts locally. Each has a couple of ways in that
are not a problem and one way that sucks. When you're pulling a 53'
trailer you get to know what's possible.

The company lost the contract eventually. With Walmart, it's strictly
pennies per mile. Even their own fleet has to bid for runs against
outside trucking companies. If you're an outsider, you can be sure your
number when loading at a distribution warehouse is LAST.

Not one of my favorites. I brought a load of mattresses to a Sam's Club.
It was going to take some time for them to unload the truck. I carried a
bicycle on the truck so I decided to go for a ride. Discovering I had a
flat I was going to buy a new tube. Wrong! No Sam's Club card, no
courtesy pass to buy a tube. Fortunately the neighboring strip mall had
a bicycle shop.

Walmart is known to be RV friendly. A few years back someone made a
movie about RVers that essential trek from Walmart to Walmart, camping
in the parking lot.

http://www.highplainsfilms.org/films/this_is_nowhere

Posted to alt.home.repair

at sams and presumably costco if you have a friend with a membership and they will loan you their card, you can use it at the self checkout and gas pumps. since no one checks to see if your face matches the one on your card