Ben

Default signs

Hi

Can anyone recommend an online supplier of signs. I've tried the local
hardware store and B&Q and a couple of local sign shops, but none of
them have what I'm looking for. Basically I'm having trouble with kids
on motorbikes messing about on my parking area, so I need a sign that
says private parking, no motorcycles (or 2 separate signs would do).

Ben
Hywel

In article , Ben says...
Hi

Can anyone recommend an online supplier of signs. I've tried the local
hardware store and B&Q and a couple of local sign shops, but none of
them have what I'm looking for. Basically I'm having trouble with kids
on motorbikes messing about on my parking area, so I need a sign that
says private parking, no motorcycles (or 2 separate signs would do).

http://www.uk-safety-signs.co.uk/parking-signs.htm

How do you plan to enforce it?

--
Hywel

Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/
Ian Stirling

Hywel wrote:
In article , Ben says...
Hi

Can anyone recommend an online supplier of signs. I've tried the local
hardware store and B&Q and a couple of local sign shops, but none of
them have what I'm looking for. Basically I'm having trouble with kids
on motorbikes messing about on my parking area, so I need a sign that
says private parking, no motorcycles (or 2 separate signs would do).

http://www.uk-safety-signs.co.uk/parking-signs.htm

How do you plan to enforce it?

Add another "Caution, oily road" sign?
Ben

Hywel wrote:
In article , Ben says...

Hi

Can anyone recommend an online supplier of signs. I've tried the local
hardware store and B&Q and a couple of local sign shops, but none of
them have what I'm looking for. Basically I'm having trouble with kids
on motorbikes messing about on my parking area, so I need a sign that
says private parking, no motorcycles (or 2 separate signs would do).

http://www.uk-safety-signs.co.uk/parking-signs.htm

Thanks, that's the best site I've seen yet, but it only has the private
car park sign - I didn't see one about motorcycles.

How do you plan to enforce it?

At the moment it works like a 3-stage filter system
(1) One of us goes out and tells them to stop
(2) The police come round and tell them to stop
(3) The police take them away in the back of a van

Like all filter systems, the majority are stopped at the first stage,
and the majority that get through are stopped at the second stage. The
sign is intended to make life a bit easier by acting as a stage 0.
G&M

"Ben" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone recommend an online supplier of signs. I've tried the local
hardware store and B&Q and a couple of local sign shops, but none of
them have what I'm looking for. Basically I'm having trouble with kids
on motorbikes messing about on my parking area, so I need a sign that
says private parking, no motorcycles (or 2 separate signs would do).

Use Microsoft Word and a cheap £25 laminator from Safeway or Office
Supplies.

Hywel

In article , Ben says...
Hywel wrote:
In article , Ben says...

Hi

Can anyone recommend an online supplier of signs. I've tried the local
hardware store and B&Q and a couple of local sign shops, but none of
them have what I'm looking for. Basically I'm having trouble with kids
on motorbikes messing about on my parking area, so I need a sign that
says private parking, no motorcycles (or 2 separate signs would do).

http://www.uk-safety-signs.co.uk/parking-signs.htm

Thanks, that's the best site I've seen yet, but it only has the private
car park sign - I didn't see one about motorcycles.

How do you plan to enforce it?

At the moment it works like a 3-stage filter system
(1) One of us goes out and tells them to stop
(2) The police come round and tell them to stop
(3) The police take them away in the back of a van

Why would the police get involved - what's the crime?

--
Hywel

Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/
Bob Eager

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 22:59:04 UTC, Hywel wrote:

In article , Ben says...
Hywel wrote:
[...]

He says 'parking area' - some kind of private off-street area? The sort
that is good to zoom around on? Trespass?

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Mark S.

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 23:59:04 +0100, Hywel
wrote:

In article , Ben says...
Hywel wrote:
[...]

There's been an advert on the "Real Radio" station round here for a
send away for parking notice complete with parking tickets.... you
couldn't make it up. ;-)

Mark S.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
G&M wrote:
Use Microsoft Word and a cheap £25 laminator from Safeway or Office
Supplies.

For that really pro look, RS do an ally etching process. Posh, innit.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Hywel

In article , Bob Eager
says...

Hywel wrote:
[...]

Trespass isn't a crime, though, is it?

--
Hywel

Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/

mike ring

Hywel wrote in
t:

Why would the police get involved - what's the crime?

He says 'parking area' - some kind of private off-street area? The
sort that is good to zoom around on? Trespass?

Trespass isn't a crime, though, is it?

Been a long time since the fuzz round here had any time left over for crime
from their main duty of being a complete waste of space

mike
Ben

Hywel wrote:
In article , Bob Eager
says...

Hywel wrote:

[...]

No, it starts off as criminal damage and when someone goes out and talks
to them in a minority of cases it becomes abusive/threatening behaviour.
Amazingly, the majority of them don't seem to realise they're doing
anything wrong and actually respond quite well when its pointed out to
them, although some of them need a police officer rather than a resident
to tell them.

I've found a sign that says "private - no public right of way" which I
think is the most appropriate one. After all, parking is not the issue
here. There's another one that warns that legal action may be taken
against unauthorized persons found on this property, but I think that
might upset legitimate visitors and make the place look like a trouble
spot (although, frankly, it couldn't look much worse at the moment)
Chippy

Mark S. wrote in message . ..

There's been an advert on the "Real Radio" station round here for a
send away for parking notice complete with parking tickets.... you
couldn't make it up. ;-)

Not as daft as it sounds:

http://www.parkforce.com/
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Huge wrote:
There was an article in the Saturday papers about some guy who has been
imprisoned for refusing to pay the Police precept element of his council
charge after having been burgled 5 times.

He obviously failed to realise that the Police are now an arm of the
Inland Revenue, rather than enforcers of any law.

What has the council charge got to do with the IR?

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Rick Dipper

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 08:54:07 +0000 (UTC), mike ring
wrote:

Hywel wrote in
et:

Why would the police get involved - what's the crime?

He says 'parking area' - some kind of private off-street area? The
sort that is good to zoom around on? Trespass?

Trespass isn't a crime, though, is it?

Been a long time since the fuzz round here had any time left over for crime
from their main duty of being a complete waste of space

mike

Sombody lives in North Wales .......

Ben

Ben wrote:
Hi

Can anyone recommend an online supplier of signs. I've tried the local
hardware store and B&Q and a couple of local sign shops, but none of
them have what I'm looking for. Basically I'm having trouble with kids
on motorbikes messing about on my parking area, so I need a sign that
says private parking, no motorcycles (or 2 separate signs would do).

Ben

One interesting site I've found is www.seton.co.uk
They have proper aluminium reflective signs like the council use
(although they're not cheap).
G&M

"Ben" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend an online supplier of signs. I've tried the local
hardware store and B&Q and a couple of local sign shops, but none of
them have what I'm looking for. Basically I'm having trouble with kids
on motorbikes messing about on my parking area, so I need a sign that
says private parking, no motorcycles (or 2 separate signs would do).

One interesting site I've found is www.seton.co.uk
They have proper aluminium reflective signs like the council use
(although they're not cheap).

And get nicked for the scrap value of the ali !!!