Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A simple, insulated coffee mug?

Several years ago, maybe 10 or so, Cuisinart sold a coffee maker that
came with no carafe, but instead had two insulated mugs. Over the
years the first, then the second mug's seals failed.

I liked the mugs because the lid had just an o-ring seal and no
threads. All one had to do was put the lid on in any position and
push. Simple.

Also the lid had no cover over the opening that had to rotated,
flipped or pushed in order to get a drink. Again, simple.

There wasn't even a handle. Very simple.

I've looked and looked and can't find one that simple. I even queried
Thermos and they don't have anything. Does anyone know of any
insulated mug available today that is, well, simple? Or have the
lawyers won the battle of them protecting us from ourselves?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote:
Several years ago, maybe 10 or so, Cuisinart sold a coffee maker that
came with no carafe, but instead had two insulated mugs. Over the
years the first, then the second mug's seals failed.

I liked the mugs because the lid had just an o-ring seal and no
threads. All one had to do was put the lid on in any position and
push. Simple.

Also the lid had no cover over the opening that had to rotated,
flipped or pushed in order to get a drink. Again, simple.

There wasn't even a handle. Very simple.

I've looked and looked and can't find one that simple. I even queried
Thermos and they don't have anything. Does anyone know of any
insulated mug available today that is, well, simple? Or have the
lawyers won the battle of them protecting us from ourselves?

Hi,
Don't have an old wool sock? Improvise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/15 3:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
Several years ago, maybe 10 or so, Cuisinart sold a coffee maker that
came with no carafe, but instead had two insulated mugs. Over the
years the first, then the second mug's seals failed.

I liked the mugs because the lid had just an o-ring seal and no
threads. All one had to do was put the lid on in any position and
push. Simple.

Also the lid had no cover over the opening that had to rotated,
flipped or pushed in order to get a drink. Again, simple.

There wasn't even a handle. Very simple.

I've looked and looked and can't find one that simple. I even queried
Thermos and they don't have anything. Does anyone know of any
insulated mug available today that is, well, simple? Or have the
lawyers won the battle of them protecting us from ourselves?

This one looks like it fits your needs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QG8UH6C?psc=1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 16:18:39 -0400, Retired wrote:

[...]

Don't toy with my heart. :-)

The next to last image shows the lid has threads which are easy to
cross-thread and there is a button that has to be pushed to drink.

Phooey!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-11, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Phooey!

As opposed to mugs that are so simple, they fail? Hey, it's yer
money.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

gordon,

Is this what you want?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cuisinart-Du...em234bcd 0a59

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote:
Several years ago, maybe 10 or so, Cuisinart sold a coffee maker that
came with no carafe, but instead had two insulated mugs. Over the
years the first, then the second mug's seals failed.

I liked the mugs because the lid had just an o-ring seal and no
threads. All one had to do was put the lid on in any position and
push. Simple.

Also the lid had no cover over the opening that had to rotated,
flipped or pushed in order to get a drink. Again, simple.

There wasn't even a handle. Very simple.

I've looked and looked and can't find one that simple. I even queried
Thermos and they don't have anything. Does anyone know of any
insulated mug available today that is, well, simple? Or have the
lawyers won the battle of them protecting us from ourselves?

The old one that I have ($2 from a thriftshop) is Thermos brand. That one has
the simple rubber seal with no threads, but does have a simple slider bar on the
top to close the drinking hole.

A lot of "insulated" cups have only air or thin foam insulation. For good
insulation, a vacuum "filled" cup can't be beat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 19:19:59 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

gordon,

Is this what you want?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cuisinart-Du...em234bcd 0a59

Dave M.

That's almost identical to what I have now except for the lid. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-11, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Phooey!

As opposed to mugs that are so simple, they fail? Hey, it's yer
money.

nb

It took over a decade of everyday use to fail. I'd say that was pretty
damn good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/15, 3:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
Several years ago, maybe 10 or so, Cuisinart sold a coffee maker that
came with no carafe, but instead had two insulated mugs. Over the
years the first, then the second mug's seals failed.

I liked the mugs because the lid had just an o-ring seal and no
threads. All one had to do was put the lid on in any position and
push. Simple.

Also the lid had no cover over the opening that had to rotated,
flipped or pushed in order to get a drink. Again, simple.

There wasn't even a handle. Very simple.

I've looked and looked and can't find one that simple. I even queried
Thermos and they don't have anything. Does anyone know of any
insulated mug available today that is, well, simple? Or have the
lawyers won the battle of them protecting us from ourselves?

http://www.ziploc.com/en/products/containers/round/containers-medium-round

Seals without threads or o-rings. For insulation, wrap it in electrical
tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2015 4:55 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

This one looks like it fits your needs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QG8UH6C?psc=1

Don't toy with my heart. :-)

The next to last image shows the lid has threads which are easy to
cross-thread and there is a button that has to be pushed to drink.

Phooey!

I've seen those mugs. The thread is coarse and a monkey can screw it on
and not cross thread. I don't know if the red button can be over
ridden, but I bet it could.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 14:24:06 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

Also the lid had no cover over the opening that had to rotated,
flipped or pushed in order to get a drink. Again, simple.

Can't you get one with a cover over the opening and ram a screwdriver
through the cover, repeatedly, until it's all gone? Then you wouldn't
need to flip or push anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 19:19:59 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote in

gordon,

Is this what you want?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cuisinart-Du...em234bcd 0a59

Metal jacket. Can't be put in a microwave for reheat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2015 6:22 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 19:19:59 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote in

gordon,

Is this what you want?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cuisinart-Du...em234bcd 0a59

Metal jacket. Can't be put in a microwave for reheat.

A problem for you (and me) perhaps but the OP made no mention of a need
to use the microwave. This looks like it fits the bill for him
perfectly. In fact, he does say thatg

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2015-04-11, Gordon wrote:

Phooey!

As opposed to mugs that are so simple, they fail? Hey, it's yer
money.

nb

It took over a decade of everyday use to fail. I'd say that was pretty
damn good.

Can't you just replace the o-ring in the existing one?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/11/2015 2:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
Several years ago, maybe 10 or so, Cuisinart sold a coffee maker that
came with no carafe, but instead had two insulated mugs. Over the
years the first, then the second mug's seals failed.

I liked the mugs because the lid had just an o-ring seal and no
threads. All one had to do was put the lid on in any position and
push. Simple.

Also the lid had no cover over the opening that had to rotated,
flipped or pushed in order to get a drink. Again, simple.

We currently have a Hamilton Beach that has a single-brew container of
that type--if all else fails perhaps can find a replacement part from
their site...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-12, Gordon Shumway wrote:

It took over a decade of everyday use to fail. I'd say that was pretty
damn good.

Have it yer way. Me? I've never had a coffee cup fail. Ever! They
must be TOO simple.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-11, Gordon wrote:

Phooey!

As opposed to mugs that are so simple, they fail? Hey, it's yer
money.

nb

It took over a decade of everyday use to fail. I'd say that was pretty
damn good.

Can't you just replace the o-ring in the existing one?

It's not the o-ring that failed, it's the seal between the inner and
outer portion of the mug itself. That failure significantly reduces
the time it keeps the coffee hot. It can't be fixed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 00:12:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/11/2015 4:55 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

This one looks like it fits your needs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QG8UH6C?psc=1

Don't toy with my heart. :-)

The next to last image shows the lid has threads which are easy to
cross-thread and there is a button that has to be pushed to drink.

Phooey!

I've seen those mugs. The thread is coarse and a monkey can screw it on
and not cross thread. I don't know if the red button can be over
ridden, but I bet it could.

My concern with the button, or similar devices, is the build-up of
crud in and around them and the difficulty in keeping them clean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-12, Gordon Shumway wrote:

It took over a decade of everyday use to fail. I'd say that was pretty
damn good.

Have it yer way. Me? I've never had a coffee cup fail. Ever! They
must be TOO simple.

nb

I've had double layered plastic cups (with handles. Almost like mugs,
except with vertical sides) fail. Water got inside one. Another got
cracks They were very cheap. I don't know where I got them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:12:15 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 04/11/2015 2:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
Several years ago, maybe 10 or so, Cuisinart sold a coffee maker that
came with no carafe, but instead had two insulated mugs. Over the
years the first, then the second mug's seals failed.

I liked the mugs because the lid had just an o-ring seal and no
threads. All one had to do was put the lid on in any position and
push. Simple.

Also the lid had no cover over the opening that had to rotated,
flipped or pushed in order to get a drink. Again, simple.

We currently have a Hamilton Beach that has a single-brew container of
that type--if all else fails perhaps can find a replacement part from
their site...

I looked and didn't see anything for replacement parts, even on the
"Discontinued Products" pages. I will be calling them on Monday when
they're open.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 10:10:28 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

I've had double layered plastic cups (with handles. Almost like mugs,
except with vertical sides) fail. Water got inside one. Another got
cracks They were very cheap. I don't know where I got them.

Thanks for posting... *J*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-11, Gordon wrote:

Phooey!

As opposed to mugs that are so simple, they fail? Hey, it's yer
money.

nb

It took over a decade of everyday use to fail. I'd say that was
pretty damn good.

Can't you just replace the o-ring in the existing one?

It's not the o-ring that failed, it's the seal between the inner and
outer portion of the mug itself. That failure significantly reduces
the time it keeps the coffee hot. It can't be fixed.

IE: The vacuum that insulated the cur is gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2015 2:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
Several years ago, maybe 10 or so, Cuisinart sold a coffee maker that
came with no carafe, but instead had two insulated mugs. Over the
years the first, then the second mug's seals failed.

I liked the mugs because the lid had just an o-ring seal and no
threads. All one had to do was put the lid on in any position and
push. Simple.

Also the lid had no cover over the opening that had to rotated,
flipped or pushed in order to get a drink. Again, simple.

There wasn't even a handle. Very simple.

I've looked and looked and can't find one that simple. I even queried
Thermos and they don't have anything. Does anyone know of any
insulated mug available today that is, well, simple? Or have the
lawyers won the battle of them protecting us from ourselves?

The Yeti tumbler: the choice of manly men:

http://www.amazon.com/Yeti-Rambler-T...words=yeti+mug

This one has a handle:

http://www.amazon.com/Eco-Vessel-Ins...ted+coffee+mug

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 07:47:42 -0500, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

[...]

As "Crocodile Dundee" would say, "THIS is a coffee mug!"
I'm definitely going to give the 20oz a try. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 4:37:15 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:

As "Crocodile Dundee" would say, "THIS is a coffee mug!"
I'm definitely going to give the 20oz a try. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YETI-RAM...em1e9acd ac11
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I bought the 30 oz mug. I've been wanting one of these for awhile, so
when Amazon matched the company's price w/free shipping, I went for it.
I have a similar 12 oz tumbler (a different brand) which is just too
small, but I can attest that these vacuum insulated stainless tumblers
are the best. Quick and easy to wash, too, since they don't have
complicated lids.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That lid is virtually identical to the lid on my old mug and that's
the main reason I like it. And yes, it is very easy to keep clean.

Thanks again.

Insulated garage!!! chudford UK diy 12 February 24th 09 03:34 PM
Heat balancing between poorly insulated and well insulated parts ofhouse [email protected] UK diy 7 December 15th 08 07:45 PM
Super insulated PEX [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 7th 07 02:46 PM
Insulated Windows Freckles Home Repair 6 February 11th 07 02:02 AM
Insulated subfloor PVR Home Repair 5 April 5th 04 04:46 PM