PVR

Default Insulated subfloor

I want to finish my basement. I am looking for a subfloor material of high
insulation capability to be placed on the existing concrete floor. I will
put standard padding and carpet on top.

Is this kind of material available? Should studs go on top or the subfloor
go between studs? How is carpet attached to the subfloor?

Peter.

SQLit

"PVR" wrote in message
I want to finish my basement. I am looking for a subfloor material of high
insulation capability to be placed on the existing concrete floor. I will
put standard padding and carpet on top.

Is this kind of material available? Should studs go on top or the subfloor
go between studs? How is carpet attached to the subfloor?

Peter.

How important is the insulating property? The sub floor installation could
be pretty expensive. You could just put down plywood.
I believe I would go for the heaviest pad and carpet and forget the
subfloor.

Carpet is usually fastened down by tack strips around the edges. That can be
nailed down to any flat surface.

edee em

Home depot, and other places I'm sure, have a 2x2 panel of osb with an
"egg-carton" material glued to the back. Be careful that if you are going
to lay rug, the instructions call for you to build the walls on top of it.
There is another solution available if your walls are up already, but it
doesn't seem as strong as the prior.

"PVR" wrote in message
I want to finish my basement. I am looking for a subfloor material of high
insulation capability to be placed on the existing concrete floor. I will
put standard padding and carpet on top.

Is this kind of material available? Should studs go on top or the subfloor
go between studs? How is carpet attached to the subfloor?

Peter.

Joe Zimmerman

I've been researching this a little.

dri core is one of the products available
subflor is very similar

both of those are osb tongue and groove with plastic glued to the bottom.

There is a third product that I've chosen for my basement, it's VERY new,
and manufactured for basement systems, most of the basements systems guys
don't even know that it exists yet. It's tongue and groove but it's all
plastic, seemed like a good idea to me to get rid of the wood, as wood is
prone to expansion, moisture problems etc. (I'm having this system installed
tomorrow, and I can let you know how it goes)

They also have rolls of the stuff similar to what is glued onto the bottom
of the dricore.

None of these solutions are that great of insulation, you'll get an R value
of just 1 or 2, but they should keep your floor 5 or 6 degrees warmer
because there is an air gap between you and the cement. They also are very
thin, so you don't loose that much head room.

If you need more insulation than that and don't mind loosing the head room,
use 2x4 sleepers with ridged insulation installed between them, with tongue
and groove plywood screwed down to that.

There was one more product that I found similar to the rolls of the plastic
bubbles I found that had some sort of landscape fabric glued to it, and you
were supposed to put down thinnest before you unroll it, then you could
(supposedly) put tile right on top of it.. I can't remember the name of this
product, because it just didn't sound like much fun to install.

Joe

"PVR" wrote in message
I want to finish my basement. I am looking for a subfloor material of high
insulation capability to be placed on the existing concrete floor. I will
put standard padding and carpet on top.

Is this kind of material available? Should studs go on top or the subfloor
go between studs? How is carpet attached to the subfloor?

Peter.

Joe Zimmerman

The full product name is ThermalDry Basement Floor Matting by Basement
Systems.

Here are some pics of it getting installed, also a couple pics of the
product itself.
http://www.frozenice.com/pickle/inde...subfloor+day1/

Installing it wasn't too bad, still took some time, you can certainly feel
the difference with a foot on the concrete, as opposed to sitting on top of
the plastic, tonight I'll try and take some actual temperature readings.

Joe

"Mike" wrote in message
news

There is a third product that I've chosen for my basement, it's VERY

new,
and manufactured for basement systems, most of the basements systems

guys
don't even know that it exists yet. It's tongue and groove but it's all
plastic, seemed like a good idea to me to get rid of the wood, as wood

is
prone to expansion, moisture problems etc. (I'm having this system

installed
tomorrow, and I can let you know how it goes)

They also have rolls of the stuff similar to what is glued onto the

bottom
of the dricore.

What is the name of this product? The price of DRICore has put me off.
I either need to find something cheaper, or I'm going with carpet/pad
right over the concrete.

Thanks,
Mike