Joe Zimmerman

Default Insulated subfloor

I've been researching this a little.

dri core is one of the products available
subflor is very similar

both of those are osb tongue and groove with plastic glued to the bottom.

There is a third product that I've chosen for my basement, it's VERY new,
and manufactured for basement systems, most of the basements systems guys
don't even know that it exists yet. It's tongue and groove but it's all
plastic, seemed like a good idea to me to get rid of the wood, as wood is
prone to expansion, moisture problems etc. (I'm having this system installed
tomorrow, and I can let you know how it goes)

They also have rolls of the stuff similar to what is glued onto the bottom
of the dricore.

None of these solutions are that great of insulation, you'll get an R value
of just 1 or 2, but they should keep your floor 5 or 6 degrees warmer
because there is an air gap between you and the cement. They also are very
thin, so you don't loose that much head room.

If you need more insulation than that and don't mind loosing the head room,
use 2x4 sleepers with ridged insulation installed between them, with tongue
and groove plywood screwed down to that.

There was one more product that I found similar to the rolls of the plastic
bubbles I found that had some sort of landscape fabric glued to it, and you
were supposed to put down thinnest before you unroll it, then you could
(supposedly) put tile right on top of it.. I can't remember the name of this
product, because it just didn't sound like much fun to install.

Joe

"PVR" wrote in message
I want to finish my basement. I am looking for a subfloor material of high
insulation capability to be placed on the existing concrete floor. I will
put standard padding and carpet on top.

Is this kind of material available? Should studs go on top or the subfloor
go between studs? How is carpet attached to the subfloor?

Peter.