Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Super insulated PEX

I am thinking of running hot and cold water to my shed, for use in the
summer. I remember a TOH episode where they had some sort of PEX
superinsulated in a flexible 4 inch drain surrounded by foam
insulation. Anyone know about this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 May 2007 11:26:12 -0700, "
wrote:

I am thinking of running hot and cold water to my shed, for use in the
summer. I remember a TOH episode where they had some sort of PEX
superinsulated in a flexible 4 inch drain surrounded by foam
insulation. Anyone know about this?

Thermo PEX?

http://www.thermopex.com/?src=googletp

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 2:26 pm, " wrote:
I am thinking of running hot and cold water to my shed, for use in the
summer. I remember a TOH episode where they had some sort of PEX
superinsulated in a flexible 4 inch drain surrounded by foam
insulation. Anyone know about this?

Greetings,

Unless there is something I don't understand .... I am afraid you
don't understand. THIS INSULATION WILL NOT PREVENT THE WATER IN THE
PIPE FROM FREEZING. It is intended to keep hot water from becoming
cold as it travels. Just like insulation in a freezer won't keep
what's inside from thawing if you unplug it, if the water sits it will
freeze.

You have a few options:
a) Make sure the pipe is below the frost line. (normally the best
option - about 3 feet down in most areas)
b) Install an easy way to drain the pipe when it is cold outside.
c) Install a circulator so that water circulates from the shed back to
the house where it can pick up heat to keep from freezing.
d) Install pipe that can safely freeze (you won't be able to use the
water when it freezes up).
e) Use electricity (somehow) along the length of the pipe to keep it
from freezing

Hope this helps,
William Deans

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would assume that the OP was cutting off the water to the shed when
it's not during the summer and that they just didnt' want the hot
water to cool off on it's way to the shed during the summer. If they
want freeze protection that they want, then I'd recommend heat tracing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 9:25�am, wrote:
I would assume that the OP was cutting off the water to the shed when
it's not during the summer and that they just didnt' want the hot
water to cool off on it's way to the shed during the summer. *If they
want freeze protection that they want, then I'd recommend heat tracing.

you have it right, the shed is about 50 feet, dont want the hot water
cold when it arrives........

in the winter water will be off and lines blown down, since I dont
want to to go below the frost line, too much digging. the thermal pex
looks good if its or potable water..........

PEX plumbing, water softener install, exposed PEX in the closet [email protected] Home Repair 11 March 11th 07 11:48 PM
Brass Compression Fittings,Fittings for Pex-Al-Pex good price valvetom Home Repair 1 November 27th 06 06:20 PM
FA: Super cheap metalworking equipment -Mitutoyo, Starrett, Super/morse Joee Metalworking 0 April 19th 05 08:07 AM
Insulated Paint? Matt Home Ownership 3 March 1st 05 12:56 AM
Insulated subfloor PVR Home Repair 5 April 5th 04 04:46 PM