Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Quart of Drain Oil down my pants leg - How to clean?

I was just changing the differential oil in my tractor (90W gear lube).
When I picked up the drain pan, I tripped and poured about a quart down
my pants leg, and on to my boots. What a f---ing mess!!!!

The boots were rubber so a little gasoline on a paper towel cleaned that
up. It soaked thru my pants so my leg was all oily. Dawn dish soap
cleaned that up, but the pants (blue jeans) are soaked.

Aside from tossing them in that garbage, how might I clean them? I wont
even consider putting them in the washing machine, or I'll probably
spend hours cleaning the machine afterwards.

Anyone have any idea how to clean the pants?

I did think about wetting them outdoors and scrubbing the oily parts
with Dawn detergent, then hosing them off outdoors, and letting them dry
in the sun? Otherwise I am not sure what to do.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 20:25:01 -0500, Dean Hoffman

I was just changing the differential oil in my tractor (90W gear lube).
When I picked up the drain pan, I tripped and poured about a quart down
my pants leg, and on to my boots. What a f---ing mess!!!!

The boots were rubber so a little gasoline on a paper towel cleaned that
up. It soaked thru my pants so my leg was all oily. Dawn dish soap
cleaned that up, but the pants (blue jeans) are soaked.

Aside from tossing them in that garbage, how might I clean them? I wont
even consider putting them in the washing machine, or I'll probably
spend hours cleaning the machine afterwards.

Anyone have any idea how to clean the pants?

I did think about wetting them outdoors and scrubbing the oily parts
with Dawn detergent, then hosing them off outdoors, and letting them dry
in the sun? Otherwise I am not sure what to do.

Thanks

Hand cleaner? A full jug of
Dawn in a gallon or two bucket overnight?
Now you have jeans to wear while doing those jobs.
My mom just used gas way back when.

Varsol
A lot safer than gas and just as effective.
Might want to use fuel oil to remove the heavy oil first at the price
of varsol (just bought some today - $5 for a US quart, $11+ for a
gallon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I was just changing the differential oil in my tractor (90W gear lube).
When I picked up the drain pan, I tripped and poured about a quart down
my pants leg, and on to my boots. What a f---ing mess!!!!

The boots were rubber so a little gasoline on a paper towel cleaned that
up. It soaked thru my pants so my leg was all oily. Dawn dish soap
cleaned that up, but the pants (blue jeans) are soaked.

Aside from tossing them in that garbage, how might I clean them? I wont
even consider putting them in the washing machine, or I'll probably
spend hours cleaning the machine afterwards.

Anyone have any idea how to clean the pants?

that is what Laundromats are for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Apr 2015 01:11:30 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in news:jg31ia1hh4gtn4imld65epdslgev4mabfq@
4ax.com:

I was just changing the differential oil in my tractor (90W gear lube).
When I picked up the drain pan, I tripped and poured about a quart down
my pants leg, and on to my boots. What a f---ing mess!!!!

They're just blue jeans. Throw them away. It's not worth the time and trouble to clean them.

(This is why I save worn-out or torn jeans -- so that I'll have something to wear while changing
oil, that I won't worry about throwing away if I have a spill.)

Yes, people today have work clothes, even for working around their own
house, and sports clothes. We just had old clothes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 20:04:41 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I was just changing the differential oil in my tractor (90W gear lube).
When I picked up the drain pan, I tripped and poured about a quart down
my pants leg, and on to my boots. What a f---ing mess!!!!

The boots were rubber so a little gasoline on a paper towel cleaned that
up. It soaked thru my pants so my leg was all oily. Dawn dish soap
cleaned that up, but the pants (blue jeans) are soaked.

Aside from tossing them in that garbage, how might I clean them? I wont
even consider putting them in the washing machine, or I'll probably
spend hours cleaning the machine afterwards.

Anyone have any idea how to clean the pants?

that is what Laundromats are for.

I'd ask permission first. They might not want that. But they might
not miind also. He'd be paying for a whole load and probably just doing
one pair of pants.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Apr 2015 09:15:03 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Anyone have any idea how to clean the pants?

I did think about wetting them outdoors and scrubbing the oily parts
with Dawn detergent, then hosing them off outdoors, and letting them
dry in the sun? Otherwise I am not sure what to do.

Thanks

I've had very good results on heavy dirty oil stains on clothes by rubbing
waterless handcleaner (Goop) into the stain, letting it soak a few hours, then
washing it, once to clean it, and another time to get rid of the hand cleaner
smell.

.... cut the legs off and make a pair of shorts
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/04/2015 07:11 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
They're just blue jeans. Throw them away. It's not worth the time and trouble to clean them.

"I done ran into my baby
And finally found my old blue jeans.
Well I could tell they was mine
From the oil and gasoline."

'Blue Jean Blues' ZZ Top

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Apr 2015 09:15:03 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

I've had very good results on heavy dirty oil stains on clothes by rubbing
waterless handcleaner (Goop) into the stain, letting it soak a few hours, then
washing it, once to clean it, and another time to get rid of the hand cleaner
smell.

This is off t he subject, but one time I had a jackass roommate, and the
radiator in his room was leaking. Instead of telling me so I coudl tell
the LL he let the parquet floor get damaged, and used MY thermal blanket
that he found in a closet ot soak up t he water. I had given him 60
days to move out and when he did he left it behind, smelling so bad.

I used the laundromat all the time then. I washed it and it smelled no
better, still mildew.

I dried it in moderately hot heat and it smelled just fine, as good as
anyting that had never been very dirty. Never smelled bad again.