Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rusted Drain Clean Out Fitting

The steel (iron?) fitting that passes through the basement slab and
caps off the vertical run of the 4" clay drain clean out has
deteriorated into a mass of rust. The surrounding concrete has
crumbled around the opening to about a 6-8" diameter hole. The end of
the clay riser is about 5" below the surface of the slab, and in good
shape with square edges, no cracks, etc. The vertical is clear all
the way down to the horizontal run.

I've cleaned out the debris and covered the opening temporarily. Is
there any alternative to making the existing hole wide and deep enough
to get a rubber sleeve connection on the clay pipe?

I'm pretty tempted to just drop a piece of 4" ABS into the hole (ie a
butt joint to the clay) and back fill with concrete patch.

Thanks,
Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think putting abs in the pipe and cementing it in should work.
Otherwise you will have to dig it all out. I probably would do the
ABS in the pipe trick. I own a plumbing company and I couldn't do
that for a customer but on my own house I would do it. Phil

On Jan 22, 9:09 pm, Chris wrote:
The steel (iron?) fitting that passes through the basement slab and
caps off the vertical run of the 4" clay drain clean out has
deteriorated into a mass of rust. The surrounding concrete has
crumbled around the opening to about a 6-8" diameter hole. The end of
the clay riser is about 5" below the surface of the slab, and in good
shape with square edges, no cracks, etc. The vertical is clear all
the way down to the horizontal run.

I've cleaned out the debris and covered the opening temporarily. Is
there any alternative to making the existing hole wide and deep enough
to get a rubber sleeve connection on the clay pipe?

I'm pretty tempted to just drop a piece of 4" ABS into the hole (ie a
butt joint to the clay) and back fill with concrete patch.

Thanks,
Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Chris wrote:

I'm pretty tempted to just drop a piece of 4" ABS into the hole (ie a
butt joint to the clay) and back fill with concrete patch.

Ideal would be able to slip the ABS into the clay as danville suggests
rather than having a butt joint that really isn't sealed.

If forced to the latter, I'd put a heavy bead of silicone caulk to make
a seal between the two ends and try to put a wrap around the clay
section and the joint before the backfilling so that down the road if a
repair were needed the clay wouldn't be directly in contact w/ the concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I like that idea. Reversible is better than irreversible.

Thanks for the help,
Chris