dlu

Default Unscrewing rusted pipe fitting

Ignoramus21494 wrote:
I have a generator to which some genius attached a 1 1/4" NPT
non-galvanized elbow, on the exhaust manifold. This elbow is now
rusted and is firmly stuck. I doubt that never-seez or some such was
used.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/home/exhaust/

I wonder how to unstick it in the safest way. I am thinking to use PB
Blaster to loosen threads a bit, then I would attach a 12 inch "pipe
nipple", and use that as a lever. What I am concerned is that such a
heavy torque from that levering action could damage the manifold
attachment or engine. Any thoughts?

I'll bet it comes right out with a pipe wrench and the pb blaster.

Pete C.

I'd suggest soaking overnight in penetrating oil then running the
generator a bit to warm the head and then apply some ice to the pipe to
hopefully shrink it a bit and break loose any rust remaining.

Pete C.

Ignoramus21494 wrote:

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:01:15 -0500, dlu wrote:
Ignoramus21494 wrote:
I have a generator to which some genius attached a 1 1/4" NPT
non-galvanized elbow, on the exhaust manifold. This elbow is now
rusted and is firmly stuck. I doubt that never-seez or some such was
used.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/home/exhaust/

I wonder how to unstick it in the safest way. I am thinking to use PB
Blaster to loosen threads a bit, then I would attach a 12 inch "pipe
nipple", and use that as a lever. What I am concerned is that such a
heavy torque from that levering action could damage the manifold
attachment or engine. Any thoughts?

I'll bet it comes right out with a pipe wrench and the pb blaster.

Thanks. I will give it a shot tonight. It will be a final generator
test day today, as I will hopefully receive the solenoid and new
mounts. I am also building a super cushioned moving platform for it,
pictures to be posted soon.

Rick

Fire is your friend. Heat it nearly to glowing, the corrosion will
insulate the manifold from excessive heat, just don't burn your shop.

When it cools a bit you should be able to remove it.

Ignoramus21494 wrote:
I have a generator to which some genius attached a 1 1/4" NPT
non-galvanized elbow, on the exhaust manifold. This elbow is now
rusted and is firmly stuck. I doubt that never-seez or some such was
used.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/home/exhaust/

I wonder how to unstick it in the safest way. I am thinking to use PB
Blaster to loosen threads a bit, then I would attach a 12 inch "pipe
nipple", and use that as a lever. What I am concerned is that such a
heavy torque from that levering action could damage the manifold
attachment or engine. Any thoughts?

Jeff Wisnia

Tom Gardner wrote:

Kroil and heat-cool cycles and it will turn out by hand.

"Ignoramus21494" wrote in message

I have a generator to which some genius attached a 1 1/4" NPT
non-galvanized elbow, on the exhaust manifold. This elbow is now
rusted and is firmly stuck. I doubt that never-seez or some such was
used.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/home/exhaust/

I wonder how to unstick it in the safest way. I am thinking to use PB
Blaster to loosen threads a bit, then I would attach a 12 inch "pipe
nipple", and use that as a lever. What I am concerned is that such a
heavy torque from that levering action could damage the manifold
attachment or engine. Any thoughts?

Holding a back up block of steel against one side of the fitting and
whacking the other side with a BFH is supposed to help the Kroil work
its way in.

I've never proved conclusively that it does, but pounding it (while I'm
thinking about my ex) sure helps me loosen up.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Mike Patterson

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:58:06 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

If that manifold is cast-iron I'd be hesitant to do any pounding.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Ken Davey

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

screw a four foot or so length of pipe into the elbow and lean on it.
The manifold is cast iron.
The elbow should move relatively easily.
Ken.
--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'