Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Canon Power Shot Camera Problem

I have an old Canon SD1000 Power Shot (Digital Elph) camera that I
really love, and have used much. Now I am having a unique problem
with its USB connection to my W7 PC. I use that to upload its pics to
my PC, but now every time I plug it up, it immediately shuts the
camera down (off) and sometimes the PC too (which could corrupt the PC
OS I'm thinking). The same cord is used with an adapter to charge the
camera, and that seems to work fine. This has started out of the
blue, and seems to do this every time.

I can still upload pics from the camera by removing its SD card and
mounting same in the PC.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with PC USB connection from a
device like my camera? I sure haven't. Yes, I have tried other USB
ports on my PC.

Thanks

Confused
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 4:39:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have an old Canon SD1000 Power Shot (Digital Elph) camera that I
really love, and have used much. Now I am having a unique problem
with its USB connection to my W7 PC. I use that to upload its pics to
my PC, but now every time I plug it up, it immediately shuts the
camera down (off) and sometimes the PC too (which could corrupt the PC
OS I'm thinking). The same cord is used with an adapter to charge the
camera, and that seems to work fine. This has started out of the
blue, and seems to do this every time.

I can still upload pics from the camera by removing its SD card and
mounting same in the PC.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with PC USB connection from a
device like my camera? I sure haven't. Yes, I have tried other USB
ports on my PC.

Thanks

Confused

1st thing I would try is a new cord, because there are different contacts for charging and data transfer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 03:23:47 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa
wrote:

[...]

I thought of that.
Two things -
I had two cords that 'fit' - both did same thing.
I had one of the cords hand-labelled to id it - so I am sure it is the
one I have always used before.

I was really quite shocked that this happened. I have used USB cords
much before with cell phone and other device. Never experienced this
problem. Scary.

Thanks

Confused
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You'll need to try it on another PC...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's a good thought

Thanks

I'll get back to U

Confused

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Strange......

I tried it on a second W7 PC I have, and it worked just fine - no
problems. I tried to make it fail by jiggling the two cable ends and
by switching USB ports.

Then, take this -

I re-tried all this on yesterday's PC and it worked just fine too. Go
figure. I could not make things fail - especially the immediate shut
down which I was really worried about.

So - thanks for your responses. I'll watch this and hope it doesn't
happen again. I can't take it at my age.

Confused

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villa wrote:
[...]

Hi,
+1, and if that does not solve the issues, IMO USB port connector on the
camera could be bad, or USB controller in the camera. New cameras
now use WiFi to print or upload pictures. Look at the mini USB connector
and camera connector with mag. glass you may see some thing
not right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd get out a good light and a magnifying glass and take a peek into the
(micro/mini depending on age) receptacle on the camera. It is possible for
the contacts inside to come loose from their plastic insulator and be
mangled. If this happened then the act of plugging the USB cord into the
camera could cause the contact(s) to short. A long shot but it will only
take a few minutes to check. If you don't know exactly what the inside
should look like I'm sure that you have something around with the same
style of receptacle or can find a picture online somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You guys are lucky that didn't EMP the whole motherboard! :-o

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Wife's W7 computer would not recognize her flip camera while my W8
machine does. I told her about your problem.

I'm going to leave a USB connector in my machine after reading this
thread to avoid this type problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Try it on another computer, but my suspision is there are som bad
capacitors in the camera and it is loading(shorting) the data line.
The camera is about 6 or 6 years old????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:15:12 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
+1, and if that does not solve the issues, IMO USB port connector on the
camera could be bad, or USB controller in the camera. New cameras
now use WiFi to print or upload pictures. Look at the mini USB connector
and camera connector with mag. glass you may see some thing
not right.

Are you saying the new cameras dont have a USB connector anymore? WIFI
would be useless for me. I dont have WIFI at home, and probably never
will, because in a rural area it's not affordable. Having to go to a
public WIFI everytime I want to get photos off my camera would be a huge
pain.

I assume you can still remove the card and stick that in a card
reader....

I always use a card reader. If for no other reason, it saves the camera
batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 3:03:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Are you saying the new cameras dont have a USB connector anymore? WIFI
would be useless for me. I dont have WIFI at home, and probably never
will, because in a rural area it's not affordable. Having to go to a
public WIFI everytime I want to get photos off my camera would be a huge
pain.

I assume you can still remove the card and stick that in a card
reader....

WiFi isn't only for an internet connection...most laptops have WiFi and with that capability on a camera you don't need to physically connect it. They will (most likely) also have a USB connection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 4:03:18 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:15:12 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
+1, and if that does not solve the issues, IMO USB port connector on the
camera could be bad, or USB controller in the camera. New cameras
now use WiFi to print or upload pictures. Look at the mini USB connector
and camera connector with mag. glass you may see some thing
not right.

Are you saying the new cameras dont have a USB connector anymore? WIFI
would be useless for me. I dont have WIFI at home, and probably never
will, because in a rural area it's not affordable. Having to go to a
public WIFI everytime I want to get photos off my camera would be a huge
pain.

You're confused here. The wifi for a home is just a wireless router
that you can buy for $50. It goes after your Cable or DSL modem.
Nearby PCs, printers, etc connect to the router via ethernet ports. The
WIFI part, wireless devices in the house connect to. It's your own
home version of the free internet they have at Starbucks and similar public
hot spots. There are also wifi services that cover larger public areas,
to deliver to paying customers, which is probably what you're referring to.

In my house, my wifi is used to support my smartphone and Tivo.

I assume you can still remove the card and stick that in a card
reader....

I always use a card reader. If for no other reason, it saves the camera
batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My older laptop computer can connect to WIFI, which is how I watch

videos or download stuff (at the library or a fast food place). Because
I can only get dialup internet at home.

So, are you saying that if I turn on one of those cameras, it would
provide a WIFI signal, which my laptop could see? ? ? ? ?

I know my laptop (about 8 years old with Windows XP), does not send OUT
a WIFI signal, it only receives WIFI.

How is it possiable to only receive and not transmitt WIFI as there needs to
be communications both ways ?
Unless you have it some how set not to send out wifi.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2015 2:27 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
My older laptop computer can connect to WIFI, which is how I watch

videos or download stuff (at the library or a fast food place). Because
I can only get dialup internet at home.

So, are you saying that if I turn on one of those cameras, it would
provide a WIFI signal, which my laptop could see? ? ? ? ?

I know my laptop (about 8 years old with Windows XP), does not send OUT
a WIFI signal, it only receives WIFI.

How is it possiable to only receive and not transmitt WIFI as there needs to
be communications both ways ?
Unless you have it some how set not to send out wifi.

Those interested could go to the Canon camera site and look at specs.
There is also setting up wifi with instructions.

I sort of like just plugging devices into my computer, accessing the
picture/video files and copying what I want as some of the setups to
extract files want to plug you into the devices websites and buy
services there.

This happened when I tried to plug my wife's cell phone into my computer
and apparently you have to send them in and retrieve them from Verizon.
You could not access the files otherwise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

WiFi isn't only for an internet connection...most laptops have WiFi and
with that capability on a camera you don't need to physically connect it.
They will (most likely) also have a USB connection.

My older laptop computer can connect to WIFI, which is how I watch
videos or download stuff (at the library or a fast food place). Because
I can only get dialup internet at home.

So, are you saying that if I turn on one of those cameras, it would
provide a WIFI signal, which my laptop could see? ? ? ? ?

The camera specific part, I'm not the best source on because
I don't have one of those new cameras that have built-in wifi.
But since the point is to connect via wifi, I would assume it
would talk to your laptop just like a wireless printer would.

I know my laptop (about 8 years old with Windows XP), does not send OUT
a WIFI signal, it only receives WIFI.

As others have pointed out, it has to be able to both send and
receive. I think what you may mean is that your PC can't serve
as a wireless access point for other devices, eg my smartphone
doesn't talk to my PC directly either. The smartphone talks to the
wireless router, the WR is connected to the PC via ethernet.
But in the case of the cameras, I would think they would have software
on both ends so that it will communicate wirelessly camera to PC.
Again, just like a wireless printer works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have 2 laptops and a Roku running on WIFI , two desktops are hardwired
with cat5e . Right now I'm streaming music over internet radio to the laptop
out in the shop . The WIFI router is sitting on the top of my desktop cpu
and the shop is 40+ feet away . They start at under 20 bucks on eBay for
used units , new under 50 .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:24:59 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

My older laptop computer can connect to WIFI, which is how I watch
videos or download stuff (at the library or a fast food place). Because
I can only get dialup internet at home.

So, are you saying that if I turn on one of those cameras, it would
provide a WIFI signal, which my laptop could see? ? ? ? ?

The camera specific part, I'm not the best source on because
I don't have one of those new cameras that have built-in wifi.
But since the point is to connect via wifi, I would assume it
would talk to your laptop just like a wireless printer would.

I know my laptop (about 8 years old with Windows XP), does not send OUT
a WIFI signal, it only receives WIFI.

As others have pointed out, it has to be able to both send and
receive. I think what you may mean is that your PC can't serve
as a wireless access point for other devices, eg my smartphone

That is exactly what I meant. I know when I am connected to a public
WIFI I can send an email, etc. But my laptop can not provide a WIFI
signal to another device, such as a phone another computer, etc.

I really do not know much else about WIFI, except how to locate a hot
spot and use it.

doesn't talk to my PC directly either. The smartphone talks to the
wireless router, the WR is connected to the PC via ethernet.
But in the case of the cameras, I would think they would have software
on both ends so that it will communicate wirelessly camera to PC.
Again, just like a wireless printer works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 07:29:09 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

If your USB on the Galaxy goes south you get it repaired or you junk it.
End of discussion. Were you thinking maybe a prayer vigil or seance?

Good grief.

You are right of course.

I wasn;t looking for a reply. I was just expressing a fear.
Cya in next life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 4:25:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:

BUT the cord/connector on the Galaxy is another matter. Heck I am
regularly charging my Galaxy with it. Plus connecting my Galaxy to my
PC. If the tablet connector goes South, then I will have to get it
repaired, else my tablet is out of commission. I have no idea what a
repair would cost, but I fear it would not be trivial.

Thanks for responses.

Confused

Phones, tablets, and laptops get charged constantly...they're design is key to their longevity. Try not to worry...;^)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 7:35:27 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Good grief.

You are right of course.

I wasn;t looking for a reply. I was just expressing a fear.
Cya in next life.

"Thanks for responses" and "Confused" is probably why you got responses...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 05:25:55 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:04:25 -0500, Moe DeLoughan

On 2015-03-20,
wrote:

So - thanks for your responses. I'll watch this and hope it doesn't
happen again.

Don't rule out defective USB ports. I've lost one of three on my
netbook and both front ports on my desktop box. Mobo mfrs are not shy
about saving $$ by using really cheap mounted USB connectors. I now
use a USB hub to save the computer port connectors from overuse.

This. It's not at all uncommon to have formerly-reliable USB ports
suddenly go wonky. Most often they simply fail to recognize the
device, but they can be cranky in other ways, too.

Yeh but....

I am concerned now about the connection on my Galaxy tablet. If in
fact the connector on my camera is the culprit, and I think it is, I
can get by by uploading the pics from the memory card in the camera
by physically placing that card into the SC card reader on my PC. Not
too much work and very infrequent anyway.

BUT the cord/connector on the Galaxy is another matter. Heck I am
regularly charging my Galaxy with it. Plus connecting my Galaxy to my
PC. If the tablet connector goes South, then I will have to get it
repaired, else my tablet is out of commission. I have no idea what a
repair would cost, but I fear it would not be trivial.

Thanks for responses.

Confused

I had the same problem on my Blackberry Playbook. They have a
"magnetic" charge connector - so I bought the mag-charger for it so
charging doe not damage the data plug.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 06:57:54 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

"magnetic" charge connector

Is this what you are talking about ?

http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/magn...connector.html

It is for a Xperia Z3 Z1 Z2 Z Ultra L39H L50W XL39H

I couldn't find a magneic adapter for a Galaxy Tab4.
I can't even imagine how such a thing would work.

Thanks

Alan