Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] confused@lost.org is offline

Default Canon Power Shot Camera Problem

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 04:59:14 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa
wrote:

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 6:35:55 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 03:23:47 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa
wrote:

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 4:39:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have an old Canon SD1000 Power Shot (Digital Elph) camera that I
really love, and have used much. Now I am having a unique problem
with its USB connection to my W7 PC. I use that to upload its pics to
my PC, but now every time I plug it up, it immediately shuts the
camera down (off) and sometimes the PC too (which could corrupt the PC
OS I'm thinking). The same cord is used with an adapter to charge the
camera, and that seems to work fine. This has started out of the
blue, and seems to do this every time.

I can still upload pics from the camera by removing its SD card and
mounting same in the PC.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with PC USB connection from a
device like my camera? I sure haven't. Yes, I have tried other USB
ports on my PC.

Thanks

Confused

1st thing I would try is a new cord, because there are different contacts for charging and data transfer.

I thought of that.
Two things -
I had two cords that 'fit' - both did same thing.
I had one of the cords hand-labelled to id it - so I am sure it is the
one I have always used before.

I was really quite shocked that this happened. I have used USB cords
much before with cell phone and other device. Never experienced this
problem. Scary.

Thanks

Confused

You'll need to try it on another PC...

Strange......

I tried it on a second W7 PC I have, and it worked just fine - no
problems. I tried to make it fail by jiggling the two cable ends and
by switching USB ports.

Then, take this -

I re-tried all this on yesterday's PC and it worked just fine too. Go
figure. I could not make things fail - especially the immediate shut
down which I was really worried about.

So - thanks for your responses. I'll watch this and hope it doesn't
happen again. I can't take it at my age.

Confused