Posted to alt.home.repair

Default See if you can put some political spin on this story...

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2015 10:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

Living in Detroit, I can't imagine his mortgage being high, therefore, I
also can't imagine why he couldn't buy a car, even if it's an older beat
up one.

I don't want to take any credit or sympathy away from this guy, but
raising $86,000 for a guy who isn't managing his money very well is an
example of how society functions. How about raising that type of money
for the homeless or the handicap or those who cannot earn a living.

I guess if I want a free car I would have to walk to work every day.
Unfortunately, I don't want to wait ten years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2015 10:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

I had a neighbor that did this.
He had plenty of money but was an ardent environmentalist.
He died a couple of years ago at 90 but even in his 80's was walking the
10 miles to the University of Delaware where he was an adjunct professor.
Another neighbor, a plant manager, ran 16 miles to work 3 days a week.
Guess I am not impressed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob_villa" wrote in message
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

Maybe this guy's ****ed up in the head 'cause Oren ****ed his mother?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/02/2015 09:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

I did a quick look at a map and the distance between Troy and Rochester
Hills is four miles. A one hour walk.

Now, even if he did walk 20 miles a day, between his job and walking
that would be 13 hours total.

The story says he only gets "a couple" hours of sleep each night.

Since the story is evidently a scam, I wonder if it's true that he's
raised money. OTOH: I imagine there are plenty of people who would
donate without first investigating.

A wealthy philanthropist here in town said that it's harder to give
money away intelligently than it is to make it in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message

A wealthy philanthropist here in town said that it's harder to give money
away intelligently than it is to make it in the first place.

That is so VERY true!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Col. Edmund Burke" wrote in message
"bob_villa" wrote in message
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

Maybe this guy's ****ed up in the head 'cause Oren ****ed his mother?

Maybe Oren is ****ed up in the head.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/03/2015 09:59 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
"philo" wrote in message

A wealthy philanthropist here in town said that it's harder to give money
away intelligently than it is to make it in the first place.

That is so VERY true!

I probably mentioned that guy here before. I'd occasionally do work for him.

His fund gives away 18 million a year and when I went to his house saw
that he still had a dial phone!

That was 20 years ago and he did finally upgrade to push button.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 19:37:35 -0800 (PST), bob_villa
wrote:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

It's Bush's fault.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

He should ride a bike. I have a car and I was doing 10 miles to go to my job
and 10 to come back. He could also add a small motor if he is too lazy. If he
can not afford a car, he can not afford the insurance, immatriculation, the
gas, the reparation, etc. He should continue to walk, he will be slimer than
most american.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2015 8:52 AM, philo wrote:
On 02/02/2015 09:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

I did a quick look at a map and the distance between Troy and Rochester
Hills is four miles. A one hour walk.

It stated he walks Woodward to catch the bus. Buses run up and down
Woodward continuously out to the suburbs. The Somerset bus stop is
roughly 1.5 miles from Woodward, but I believe the bus travels to that stop.

From the bus stop at Somerset to his place of employment is roughly 6.5
miles.

Therefore, depending how far he walks to get on the bus, it's a far cry
from 21 miles.

Now, even if he did walk 20 miles a day, between his job and walking
that would be 13 hours total.

The story says he only gets "a couple" hours of sleep each night.

Since the story is evidently a scam, I wonder if it's true that he's
raised money. OTOH: I imagine there are plenty of people who would
donate without first investigating.

They are everywhere and very gullible. Look who's elected into office.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meanie"
wrote in message On 2/3/2015 8:52 AM, philo
wrote:
On 02/02/2015 09:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

I did a quick look at a map and the distance
between Troy and Rochester
Hills is four miles. A one hour walk.

It stated he walks Woodward to catch the bus.
Buses run up and down Woodward continuously out
to the suburbs. The Somerset bus stop is roughly
1.5 miles from Woodward, but I believe the bus
travels to that stop.

From the bus stop at Somerset to his place of
employment is roughly 6.5 miles.

Therefore, depending how far he walks to get on
the bus, it's a far cry from 21 miles.

And it was uphill all the way both ways! ;)}

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2015 6:07 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 2/2/2015 10:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

Living in Detroit, I can't imagine his mortgage being high, therefore, I
also can't imagine why he couldn't buy a car, even if it's an older beat
up one.

You can't be serious. At $10.50 an hour I doubt he owns a house.

I don't want to take any credit or sympathy away from this guy, but
raising $86,000 for a guy who isn't managing his money very well is an
example of how society functions. How about raising that type of money
for the homeless or the handicap or those who cannot earn a living.

Strong statement..You may be right, but $400 a week does not cover very
much. I'd like to see your budget to live on that wage, including car
insurance where the rates are some of the highest in the country.

An option not presented yet is to move closer to work, if possible. I'd
like to know the real story.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/03/2015 09:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/3/2015 6:07 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 2/2/2015 10:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

Living in Detroit, I can't imagine his mortgage being high, therefore, I
also can't imagine why he couldn't buy a car, even if it's an older beat
up one.

You can't be serious. At $10.50 an hour I doubt he owns a house.

Detroit is so depressed that you can get houses there for next to
nothing. I bet that half the houses are under $16K

However the story is fake. Nothing adds up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 9:09:37 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 02/03/2015 09:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/3/2015 6:07 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 2/2/2015 10:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

Living in Detroit, I can't imagine his mortgage being high, therefore, I
also can't imagine why he couldn't buy a car, even if it's an older beat
up one.

You can't be serious. At $10.50 an hour I doubt he owns a house.

Detroit is so depressed that you can get houses there for next to
nothing. I bet that half the houses are under $16K

However the story is fake. Nothing adds up.

CBS news covered this last night. They had an interview with the
guy. He seemed genuine and credible. Not saying that means he is.
They showed the plastics factory where he has worked for a long time.
He takes the bus part way, then walks. At night, because there is
limited bus service, he has to walk farther.
So, IDK. It seems very strange and you would think there would be
other options. I guess there will be, the crowd funding thing has
raised $250K.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/04/2015 08:37 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

For all I know, maybe he does walk to work every day but how can the
claim of a 20 mile round trip be valid it the two localities are less
than five miles apart?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 9:41:04 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

What two localities? From what I see, he lives at Woodward Ave, Detroit.
He works at Schain Mold, in Troy. By Google Maps, that's 19 -21 miles
one way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/04/2015 08:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

You are right, When I first read the article I thought he walked from
Troy to Rochester Hills and upon re-reading it see that was the bus
route...so I'll be darned...that part of the story adds up.

OTOH: It still does not add up because it also said he only gets a few
hours of sleep and though the walk is a long one that still leaves
almost half a day of "off time"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 9:57:11 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

In the CBS story they gave more info. Not sure I have it exactly, but
it went something like this. He works from 2PM until 10PM. He leaves
the house at like 8AM, takes the bus, then walks. At night, because of
a limited bus schedule, he has to walk a lot farther. I think they said
he gets off the bus at 1AM, then has to walk. So, IDK exactly how
much time is left, I agree it sounds like it should be a lot more than
2 hours though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/04/2015 09:43 AM, trader_4 wrote:

You are right, When I first read the article I thought he walked from
Troy to Rochester Hills and upon re-reading it see that was the bus
route...so I'll be darned...that part of the story adds up.

OTOH: It still does not add up because it also said he only gets a few
hours of sleep and though the walk is a long one that still leaves
almost half a day of "off time"

In the CBS story they gave more info. Not sure I have it exactly, but
it went something like this. He works from 2PM until 10PM. He leaves
the house at like 8AM, takes the bus, then walks. At night, because of
a limited bus schedule, he has to walk a lot farther. I think they said
he gets off the bus at 1AM, then has to walk. So, IDK exactly how
much time is left, I agree it sounds like it should be a lot more than
2 hours though.

The more I look at this the more I think my initial judgment was wrong...

could be a true story after all

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 9:37:38 PM UTC-6, bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

He needs to move to the Right-tard paradise of Somalia where taxes are low and government regulations are lax.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message

What two localities? From what I see, he lives at Woodward Ave,
Detroit. He works at Schain Mold, in Troy. By Google Maps, that's 19
-21 miles one way.

You are right, When I first read the article I thought he walked from
Troy to Rochester Hills and upon re-reading it see that was the bus
route...so I'll be darned...that part of the story adds up.

OTOH: It still does not add up because it also said he only gets a few
hours of sleep and though the walk is a long one that still leaves
almost half a day of "off time"

1. walk to work = 5 hours at a brisk pace, 4 hours quite fast, 3 hours 40
minutes at double time

2. work eight hours

3. walk home, same as #1

At the best he would have around 8.5 ours free time; at the more realistic
"brisk pace" he would have 6 hours. Presumably, he would use that to
sleep.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/03/2015 10:06 AM, dadiOH wrote:
- but he ran it.

Bet he smelled reeeeeeaaaaallll good
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 10:52:00 -0600, philo wrote:

The more I look at this the more I think my initial judgment was wrong...

could be a true story after all

It must be true. I saw it on the Internet!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 9:09:37 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 02/03/2015 09:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/3/2015 6:07 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 2/2/2015 10:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

Living in Detroit, I can't imagine his mortgage being high, therefore, I
also can't imagine why he couldn't buy a car, even if it's an older beat
up one.

You can't be serious. At $10.50 an hour I doubt he owns a house.

Detroit is so depressed that you can get houses there for next to
nothing. I bet that half the houses are under $16K

However the story is fake. Nothing adds up.

Neither does the US constitution.Trickle down economy is complete fraud

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 13:55:14 -0800 (PST), "Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at
Law" wrote:

I am competing against illegal aliens for Manuel Labour positions

Get your medications adjusted from the local Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
community health services in Broward county.. I advised you last
year to do so. Gave you a contact number. I guess your baseball ball
bat was not working against Rubio.

Get some mental health support!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2015 10:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/3/2015 6:07 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 2/2/2015 10:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:

You can't be serious. At $10.50 an hour I doubt he owns a house.

Own or rent is cheap. Houses sell for under $20,000 in Detroit. Renters
often pay $200 a month and if it's more, they get roommates.

Strong statement..You may be right, but $400 a week does not cover very
much. I'd like to see your budget to live on that wage, including car
insurance where the rates are some of the highest in the country.

An option not presented yet is to move closer to work, if possible. I'd
like to know the real story.

If he can't afford a car, how about a bike. Seriously, how the hell did
he not think of a bike?

Here's the final tip off to bull****. The Smart Bus line runs up and
down Woodward every day. Stops begin at the heart of downtown at the
Renaissance Center/GM headquarters and extend northbound every several
blocks. Specifically, bus line 475 begins at Woodward and Beaubien,
which is right on the river behind the RC. IF he lives farther north,
there are plenty of stops to wait. The 475 route extends northbound to
Troy Civic Center P&R, which is 5 miles direct south of his employer.
Smart buses allow bikes and in fact, have racks on the front of the
buses to strap a bike in. Therefore, whether walking or riding, he can
catch a bus along Woodward up to 5 miles from work. Even a taxi ride
would be worth it.

What's more puzzling is why doesn't a co-worker help him and pick up at
the Troy CC? Then take him back or somewhere along the bus route until
the co-worker has to go his/her way after work?

It was mentioned the boss's wife cooks him dinner. Seriously? After ten
years the only nice thing a boss can do is allow his wife to cook him
dinner knowing he's "supposedly" walking to work every day?

The entire story has more holes than a colander and IMO, is pure
bull****. $250,000 raised for a guy who isn't bright enough to manage
his own finances, purchase a bike or consider other employment when that
money could be better used for much needier people.

People are gullible idiots.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/04/2015 09:09 AM, philo wrote:
However the story is fake. Nothing adds up.

Yah, the most incredulous part is that he can walk down the street after dark and not get mugged by one of Detroit's finest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/04/2015 04:19 PM, Meanie wrote:
On y.

[...]

Here in my town, the buses even have carriers on the front for bicycles.

No matter how broke the guy is bikes can be picked up cheaply...
even if occasionally someone would steal it, can you imagine how much
the guy would have to spend for shoes if he really walked than much?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 02/02/2015 09:37 PM, bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

I did a quick look at a map and the distance
between Troy and Rochester
Hills is four miles. A one hour walk.

It stated he walks Woodward to catch the bus.
Buses run up and down Woodward continuously out
to the suburbs. The Somerset bus stop is roughly
1.5 miles from Woodward, but I believe the bus
travels to that stop.

From the bus stop at Somerset to his place of
employment is roughly 6.5 miles.

Therefore, depending how far he walks to get on
the bus, it's a far cry from 21 miles.

And it was uphill all the way both ways! ;)}

In ten feet of snow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Law" wrote:

I am competing against illegal aliens for Manuel Labour positions

Get your medications adjusted from the local Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
community health services in Broward county.. I advised you last
year to do so. Gave you a contact number. I guess your baseball ball
bat was not working against Rubio.

Get some mental health support!

You need mental help with a baseball bat wrapped around your capitalist pig head
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 12:35:00 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 9:37:38 PM UTC-6, bob_villa wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

He needs to move to the Right-tard paradise of Somalia where taxes are low and government regulations are lax.

You need your brains bashed in with Oring
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/weird-n...ach-day/nj3Yz/

It's Bush's fault.

They called you oring after they caught you chewing on your circumcised foreskin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 16:02:54 -0800 (PST), "Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at
Law" wrote:

Get some mental health support!

You need mental help with a baseball bat wrapped around your capitalist pig head

Get on a plane and come get some. Bring your bat. I'll bury your ass
in the desert after one gun shot - "86".

Your medications are getting you confused.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Law" wrote:

Get some mental health support!

You need mental help with a baseball bat wrapped around your capitalist pig head

Get on a plane and come get some. Bring your bat. I'll bury your ass
in the desert after one gun shot - "86".

Your medications are getting you confused.

I will gut you like the mormon pig you are

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-02-04, philo wrote:

No matter how broke the guy is bikes can be picked up cheaply...
even if occasionally someone would steal it.....

Reminds me of when I got home from 4 yrs in the service. Didn't have
much $$, so I paid $15 for a trashed one speed 10-speed. Two weeks
later, someone stole it. True story.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-02-04, philo wrote:

No matter how broke the guy is bikes can be picked up cheaply...
even if occasionally someone would steal it.....

Reminds me of when I got home from 4 yrs in the service. Didn't have
much $$, so I paid $15 for a trashed one speed 10-speed. Two weeks
later, someone stole it. True story.

nb

I paid $10 for a Hercules 6-speed (in the late '60's) at a garage sale...in a box, and every bearing in a glass jar. Got it all together...even zinc chromate primed it and finished-off with Chevy Sunshine yellow. I used it to ride to the train in suburban Chicago (about a mile one-way). I left the garage door open one night...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-02-04, philo wrote:

No matter how broke the guy is bikes can be picked up cheaply...
even if occasionally someone would steal it.....

Reminds me of when I got home from 4 yrs in the service. Didn't have
much $$, so I paid $15 for a trashed one speed 10-speed. Two weeks
later, someone stole it. True story.

nb

This may appear twice (posted but didn't see)

My junker ten speed that I bought in 1972 was used year round, even in
the snow.

Worked fine but looked so bad, no one stole it, even if left in known
theft areas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 10:02:45 AM UTC-6, bob_villa wrote:

I paid $10 for a Hercules 6-speed (in the late '60's) at a garage sale...in a box, and every bearing in a glass jar. Got it all together...even zinc chromate primed it and finished-off with Chevy Sunshine yellow. I used it to ride to the train in suburban Chicago (about a mile one-way). I left the garage door open one night...

Sorry...it was a 5-spd racer, I also road it in winter and only spilled once.
(Hercules were made by Raleigh in the UK, IMMS)
Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:

Reminds me of when I got home from 4 yrs in the service. Didn't have
much $$, so I paid $15 for a trashed one speed 10-speed. Two weeks
later, someone stole it. True story.

I did the same thing for a cheap bike to leave at work. One night I taco'd
the front wheel and bent the fork. I found a fork that would fit from the
local free bike parts shop but couldn't find a caliper brake that would
work. So there's this piece of crap with no front brake, which on a bicycle
more or less means no brake, and someone stole it.