Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove cast iron kitchen sink

I'm planning to replace a top-mounted cast iron sink, resting on a
formica countertop, with a top-mounted stainless sink. The problem is
the cast iron sink probably weighs 100 pounds, more than I can handle.
(I don't have a helper, and I don't know if the trash collectors will
take such a heavy item; normal limit is 50 pounds.)

How can I break the cast iron sink into two or more lighter pieces. The
old sink (and the new one) have two bowls. Probably the most vulnerable
spot is the wall between the two bowls. I don't have a sledge hammer,
but I do have an ordinary-weight hammer and a cold chisel. I've already
removed the caulking on the front and both sides. I'll cover the sink
with a blanket or heavy towels to contain the enamel chips that will fly
when I start hammering.

Any other suggestions for vulnerable spots to attack or approaches other
than a hammer and chisel? What about reciprocal saws? What kind of blade?

Thanks,

R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 20:22:37 -0500, Rebel1 wrote:

[...]

Someone posted about the same thing recently. Today, I think Maybe you
can get ideas from that thread too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2015 10:37 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

You are right. For some strange reason, I didn't think the first one got
posted. Sorry for repeating it.

Strange thing. I left NJ and should have had my optonline cancelled when
I discontinued my cable service. However, I can still receive emails at
that address, but not reply to them or create new ones. But I can post
messages to the optonline newsgroups, like this one. Go figure.

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 23:44:45 -0500, Rebel1 wrote:

[...]

No apology necessary. It's just an opportunity for a joke.

Strange thing. I left NJ and should have had my optonline cancelled when
I discontinued my cable service. However, I can still receive emails at
that address, but not reply to them or create new ones. But I can post
messages to the optonline newsgroups, like this one. Go figure.

It's probably something to do with that internet thing.

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Put it on Craigslist with a note that the recipient will
need to take it out themselves. It should be gone
by noon.
I've broken up tubs with a large sledge, but it's a lot
of work, and that's on a solid floor. In your case your
likely to take the counter with it. The only other good
way to cut cast iron that I know of is with a carborundum
blade on a circular saw. Wear glasses, mask and heavy
pants. Take the batteries out of the smoke alarm. Then
dig in and enjoy the fireworks of sparks and smoke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Strange thing. I left NJ and should have had my optonline cancelled when
I discontinued my cable service. However, I can still receive emails at
that address, but not reply to them or create new ones. But I can post
messages to the optonline newsgroups, like this one. Go figure.

The important thing is you got out of NJ!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Strange thing. I left NJ and should have had my optonline cancelled when
I discontinued my cable service. However, I can still receive emails at
that address, but not reply to them or create new ones. But I can post
messages to the optonline newsgroups, like this one. Go figure.

The important thing is you got out of NJ!

So true. After 65 years there, I was eligible for parole.

Florida: low property taxes; no income tax, no estate tax, no
inheritance tax. Even though gasoline taxes are 20 cents/gallon higher,
right now for some bizarre reason, I'm paying around $1.71 per gallon,
cheaper than in NJ.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 09:29:14 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

Put it on Craigslist with a note that the recipient will
need to take it out themselves.

Have your guns and ammo ready when you invite a person from Craigslist
into you home. If they injure themselves on your property they may sue
you. Shish. What if this critter damages the counter top?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove cast iron kitchen sink - it's gone

I posted it on craigslist at 10:00. Got first phone call at 10:34 from a
guy who sounded spaced out, so I told him no. Got a second call at
10:45. He came and the sink was gone, in one piece, at 11:30.

Thanks to all for discouraging me from breaking it and wasting something
someone else could put to good use.

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Rebel1 typed:
I posted it on craigslist at 10:00. Got first phone call at 10:34
from a guy who sounded spaced out, so I told him no. Got a second
call at 10:45. He came and the sink was gone, in one piece, at 11:30.

Excellent. I do "free stuff" posts on Craigslist from time to time.
However, I have always done them as "curb alerts" and provided a photo and a
location where they can take it from the curb.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't want to have to deal with people individually and
arrange a visit etc. And, I don't like the idea of having someone come into
my property and see what else is there that they can come back and steal or
whatever. But, since you needed someone to actually lift it out, I guess
that was your best option. And, of course, you did a little self-screening
before choosing who to let into your house to take the sink away.

I'm glad that it worked out -- a simple solution for you, and worthwhile for
the person that wanted it (whether for scrap metal or for actual re-use.).

Thanks for the follow-up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 11:38:35 AM UTC-5, Rebel1 wrote:
I posted it on craigslist at 10:00. Got first phone call at 10:34 from a
guy who sounded spaced out, so I told him no. Got a second call at
10:45. He came and the sink was gone, in one piece, at 11:30.

Thanks to all for discouraging me from breaking it and wasting something
someone else could put to good use.

R1

Did he murder you like the 70 year old couple that found a guy on
CL to buy a car from? I guess not, you're still posting.... Or
maybe you're not and now it's the murderer posting from your puter?
We'll have to keep a watch here for awhile.....

How to remove cast iron kitchen sink Rebel1 Home Repair 25 January 29th 15 03:45 AM
Remove cast iron tub intact? TomYoung Home Repair 12 March 17th 09 01:38 AM
cast iron sink delta Home Repair 1 February 2nd 06 05:37 PM
Advice please on how to remove a Cast Iron Back Boiler Gary Home Repair 12 January 2nd 06 11:12 PM
Joining plastic sink waste to cast iron? newman UK diy 8 September 6th 05 03:22 PM