newman

Default Joining plastic sink waste to cast iron?

I have had to renew my sink waste in 40mm plastic pipe. What is the best
method of sealing this to an external 3in cast iron pipe? At the moment
the plastic is pushed about 300mm into the cast iron pipe which runs at
a 20 degree fall.

Regards
Michael Mcneil

"newman" wrote in message

I have had to renew my sink waste in 40mm plastic pipe. What is the best
method of sealing this to an external 3in cast iron pipe? At the moment
the plastic is pushed about 300mm into the cast iron pipe which runs at
a 20 degree fall.

What is the problem?

Presumably you have a trap below the sink to stop odours coming up the
spout?

newman

Michael Mcneil wrote:

"newman" wrote in message

I have had to renew my sink waste in 40mm plastic pipe. What is the best
method of sealing this to an external 3in cast iron pipe? At the moment
the plastic is pushed about 300mm into the cast iron pipe which runs at
a 20 degree fall.

What is the problem?

Presumably you have a trap below the sink to stop odours coming up the
spout?

Yes, but I want to stop insects etc getting into the pipe and smells
coming back up, as the pipe is beside my patio.

Regards
fred

In article , newman
writes

I have had to renew my sink waste in 40mm plastic pipe. What is the best
method of sealing this to an external 3in cast iron pipe? At the moment
the plastic is pushed about 300mm into the cast iron pipe which runs at
a 20 degree fall.

A rubber adaptor is probably as good as anything:
http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/132.asp , code 11228 (£7+vat+post) (near
the bottom) looks like it would do the job. You could use a plastic adaptor
to beef up the size of the 40mm pipe if the rubber adaptor won't go that
small: http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/130a.asp code 12993 for solvent or
12987 universal (again near the bottom of the page).

Local plumbers' merchant will prob have them too if you want to save post.
--
fred
newman

fred wrote:

In article , newman
writes

I have had to renew my sink waste in 40mm plastic pipe. What is the best
method of sealing this to an external 3in cast iron pipe? At the moment
the plastic is pushed about 300mm into the cast iron pipe which runs at
a 20 degree fall.

A rubber adaptor is probably as good as anything:
http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/132.asp , code 11228 (£7+vat+post) (near
the bottom) looks like it would do the job. You could use a plastic adaptor
to beef up the size of the 40mm pipe if the rubber adaptor won't go that
small: http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/130a.asp code 12993 for solvent or
12987 universal (again near the bottom of the page).

Local plumbers' merchant will prob have them too if you want to save post.
--
fred

Thanks, but there is no room to fit an adapter as the 90deg bend of the
40mm plastic pipe is about an inch from the cast iron pipe. I may need
to use plumbers mate or similar.

Regards

fred

In article , newman
writes
fred wrote:

A rubber adaptor is probably as good as anything:
http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/132.asp , code 11228 (£7+vat+post) (near
the bottom) looks like it would do the job. You could use a plastic adaptor
to beef up the size of the 40mm pipe if the rubber adaptor won't go that
small: http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/130a.asp code 12993 for solvent or
12987 universal (again near the bottom of the page).

Local plumbers' merchant will prob have them too if you want to save post.
--
fred

Thanks, but there is no room to fit an adapter as the 90deg bend of the
40mm plastic pipe is about an inch from the cast iron pipe. I may need
to use plumbers mate or similar.

Oh ffs, nothing like getting the full story in one hit :-!

Ok, how long is the 3" pipe, just a socket into a branch or a long length
(cut end or socket). If a long length, do you mind cutting it back or is it
supported at the end. Any more info would be great.

Oh, is the 90deg bend on the 40mm removable, if not and you're not
prepared to remake it then you won't be able to use any kind of adaptor.
--
fred
newman

fred wrote:

In article , newman
writes
fred wrote:

[...]

The cast iron pipe is fixed to the wall and I dont want to move it.
The plastic pipe comes out of the wall and turns 90deg into the cast
socket . Yes I can take the 90deg off but there is only about 1"
between it and the cast iron socket.

Regards
Michael Mcneil

"newman" wrote in message

The cast iron pipe is fixed to the wall and I dont want to move it.
The plastic pipe comes out of the wall and turns 90deg into the cast
socket.

Half a tube of the sort of silicon sealant that can be used under water.
Either that or some foam spray.

newman

Michael Mcneil wrote:

"newman" wrote in message

The cast iron pipe is fixed to the wall and I dont want to move it.
The plastic pipe comes out of the wall and turns 90deg into the cast
socket.

Half a tube of the sort of silicon sealant that can be used under water.
Either that or some foam spray.

I ended up wrapping the plastic pipe with amalgamating tape to make it a
tight push fit about an inch into the cast iron. I then filled the
remaining gap with plumbers mate and painted. I looks ok and should
prevent smells etc.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Regards