Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Windows 8.1 email setup

I recently helped an older (than me ...) couple set up their new computer
, and yesterday they called to ask for help in setting up their email . I
have no experience with the new comps , I'm a steadfast XP user .
I did a little bit of research today , and it looks like they need an app
for that ... is this how the new ones work ? I know how to set up the server
settings , user stuff and all that , but had no luck at all trying to help
them find the email client (over the phone) that I thought should be there -
every OS I'm familiar with has one built in (or included) with the OS .
I need some help here ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 8:45:16 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
I recently helped an older (than me ...) couple set up their new computer
, and yesterday they called to ask for help in setting up their email . I
have no experience with the new comps , I'm a steadfast XP user .
I did a little bit of research today , and it looks like they need an app
for that ... is this how the new ones work ? I know how to set up the server
settings , user stuff and all that , but had no luck at all trying to help
them find the email client (over the phone) that I thought should be there -
every OS I'm familiar with has one built in (or included) with the OS .
I need some help here ...
--
Snag

The is no need to set-up an app when there are so many free internet emails like Outlook, Yahoo, or Gmail. It's also handier to check your email when you're not at home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2015 9:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I recently helped an older (than me ...) couple set up their new computer
, and yesterday they called to ask for help in setting up their email . I
have no experience with the new comps , I'm a steadfast XP user .
I did a little bit of research today , and it looks like they need an app
for that ... is this how the new ones work ? I know how to set up the server
settings , user stuff and all that , but had no luck at all trying to help
them find the email client (over the phone) that I thought should be there -
every OS I'm familiar with has one built in (or included) with the OS .
I need some help here ...

There is a mail app on the modern UI interface, but it really sucks.
Download a copy of Thunderbird for them, and call it a day.

--
Froz...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm with you. I'm still using OE6 on XP, even though
I have a ridiculously powerful, dual-CPU Dell in the
other room that was given to me. OE6 requires a
little extra care for security, but it's very capable
while also being fairly simple.

There was a discussion about this recently in the
Win7 group. On Vista, Microsoft removed Outlook Express
but added Windows Mail, a similar program. On Win7
there's nothing installed but one can install Windows
Live Mail. Many people seem to think WLM is inferior
to WM and there's a hack for getting WM running on
Win7. At any rate, you should be able to install Windows
Live Mail on Win8.

What I do for people is to install Thunderbird. It's not
quite as well designed and intuitive as OE, but it's designed
to be similar and works fairly well once it's set up. Though
like Firefox, later versions may be more trouble to set up
than older versions.
I found that the only really confusing part was that TB
sets up POP3 settings per account, but the outgoing SMTP
settings, for reasons unknown, are separate.
I actually set up a new email address for someone in
TB just a few days ago. It worked OK, but TB wanted to
hold my hand through the whole operation. It actually
wouldn't allow the account to be set up until it succeeded
in checking the email account with the settings I gave it!
A somewhat understandable but maddening design on the
part of the Mozilla people.
TB should also import old email from MS programs if
need be. Just tell it what to import during install and
it should find the accounts. If the email is now on XP
or Win7, on another computer, you should be able to
just copy over the .dbx files from the Application
Data folder and point TB at them.

I don't know of any other decent email software. There
seem to be some old programs that have fans, but nothing
that stands out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 20:45:10 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I recently helped an older (than me ...) couple set up their new computer
, and yesterday they called to ask for help in setting up their email . I
have no experience with the new comps , I'm a steadfast XP user .
I did a little bit of research today , and it looks like they need an app
for that ... is this how the new ones work ? I know how to set up the server
settings , user stuff and all that , but had no luck at all trying to help
them find the email client (over the phone) that I thought should be there -
every OS I'm familiar with has one built in (or included) with the OS .
I need some help here ...

Generally, the only thing one needs today for email is a web browser
-- Firefox, Chrome, whatever; because most email is web-based. It's
accessed from the web. There are dedicated programs for email if one
insists on storing all correspondence on their own computer.

At that point it comes down to preference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/15 9:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I recently helped an older (than me ...) couple set up their new computer
, and yesterday they called to ask for help in setting up their email . I
have no experience with the new comps , I'm a steadfast XP user .
I did a little bit of research today , and it looks like they need an app
for that ... is this how the new ones work ? I know how to set up the server
settings , user stuff and all that , but had no luck at all trying to help
them find the email client (over the phone) that I thought should be there -
every OS I'm familiar with has one built in (or included) with the OS .
I need some help here ...

https://download.mozilla.org/?produc...win&lang=en-US
Posted to alt.home.repair

| The is no need to set-up an app when there are so many free internet
emails like Outlook, Yahoo, or Gmail. It's also handier to check your email
when you're not at home.

That's no help if they want to use an existing ISP
account. There are also numerous advantages to
ISP accounts. (Or any other real email, whether it
be thorugh owning a domain/website, ISP, or paying
for email service.)

Free webmail is an ad-supported service that basically
belongs to the provider. They claim the right to read
and keep your email, as well as showing you ads. They
don't allow you to completely delete that email.

Most
people have several free, real email accounts with their
ISP. One can also have a large number of accounts by
owning and hosting one's own domain. (I pay only $9/
month for full-service hosting.) And virtually all real email
can also be accessed online as a webmail version if
necessary. Real email also has all sorts of superior
functionality, not the least of which is that it runs in a real
software program, not as a javascript operation in a
webpage. It also provides the ability to store all of your
email locally and to delete it from the server. And it
provides conveniences like extensive, custom filtering
of email.

I accept spyware webmail (gmail, yahoo, facebook,
outllok.com, live.com, hotmail) to some of my email
addresses because I have to, but I don't write personal
emails to those people. The email address for my website
is set up to auto-delete free webmail. I figure that if
people can't be bothered to spend a couple of minutes,
or a couple of bucks, to have real email that's not run by
a sleazy operation like Google or Yahoo, then there's no
reason I should spend time reading their message, which
is almost certainly asking me for a favor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mayayana wrote:
[...]

What she said . These folks have an email account thru our local isp and
don't want to change to a web-based email .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
[...]

yep, that's what I did for a pal.

I also downloaded OpenOffice, since the old Office 2000 wouldn't work, at
least not without an emulator which is where I bailed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 8:45:16 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
I recently helped an older (than me ...) couple set up their new computer
, and yesterday they called to ask for help in setting up their email . I
have no experience with the new comps , I'm a steadfast XP user .
I did a little bit of research today , and it looks like they need an app
for that ... is this how the new ones work ? I know how to set up the server
settings , user stuff and all that , but had no luck at all trying to help
them find the email client (over the phone) that I thought should be there -
every OS I'm familiar with has one built in (or included) with the OS .
I need some help here ...
--
Snag

Had that problem with Win 7 & 8.1 also. I now use eM Client (www.emclient.com) It inputs any e-mail address of your choice, is free, and works reasonably well once you get used to it. With a paid version you can input several e-mails to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Retired wrote:
On 1/16/15 9:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I recently helped an older (than me ...) couple set up their new
computer , and yesterday they called to ask for help in setting up
their email . I have no experience with the new comps , I'm a
steadfast XP user . I did a little bit of research today , and it
looks like they need an app for that ... is this how the new ones
work ? I know how to set up the server settings , user stuff and all
that , but had no luck at all trying to help them find the email
client (over the phone) that I thought should be there - every OS
I'm familiar with has one built in (or included) with the OS . I
need some help here ...

https://download.mozilla.org/?produc...win&lang=en-US

Thanks to all , I guess I'll be going over there and installing/configuring
Tbird for these folks . I have both a gmail and outlook.com accounts , but
they're throwaway accounts so I don't have to give out my primary pop3
account to every Tom Dick and Mary .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 9:44:34 PM UTC-6, Mayayana wrote:
| The is no need to set-up an app when there are so many free internet
emails like Outlook, Yahoo, or Gmail. It's also handier to check your email
when you're not at home.

Real email also has all sorts of superior
functionality, not the least of which is that it runs in a real
software program, not as a javascript operation in a
webpage. It also provides the ability to store all of your
email locally and to delete it from the server. And it
provides conveniences like extensive, custom filtering
of email.

My ISP is Charter and what you get from them is a quirky javascript account...which I don't use.
MOST folks I know use web based email...but I'm certain no expert like you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:09:20 -0800 (PST), bob_villa
wrote:

[...]

But sometimes you actually want to keep your email on your 'puter. A
real e-mail client is a good idea. I sprung for outlook (microsoft
Office product, not the online service of the same name) but Mozilla
has a good free one that works too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Jan 2015, "Terry Coombs" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I recently helped an older (than me ...) couple set up their new
computer , and yesterday they called to ask for help in setting up
their email . I have no experience with the new comps , I'm a
steadfast XP user .

I did a little bit of research today , and it looks like they need
an app for that ... is this how the new ones work ? I know how to
set up the server settings , user stuff and all that , but had no
luck at all trying to help them find the email client (over the
phone) that I thought should be there - every OS I'm familiar with
has one built in (or included) with the OS .

I need some help here ...

I believe that Windows 8.1 comes with a mail app, but the app runs only
in the Modern (mobile-device-like) interface. This app will only work
with IMAP servers, not POP3. Otherwise Windows no longer comes bundled
with an email program like Outlook Express or Windows Mail.

They would be better off using one of the various free email programs
such as Mozilla Thunderbird.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nil wrote:
[...]

RedAlt5 suggested one that looks pretty good . I may try that eMclient
program he suggested . One thing I really like about OE6 is that I can set
it to leave a copy on the server on the computer I take when I travel , so
when I get home I can download the messages to my desktop - which is set to
delete them from the server .
The other options are to use the ISP's web interface orTbird . For myself
, I don't use the webmail , I'd lots rather have those messages stored on MY
comp than theirs .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

| My ISP is Charter and what you get from them is a quirky javascript
account...which I don't use.
| MOST folks I know use web based email...but I'm certain no expert like
you.

Most do. Most just don't think about it. I'm
continually surprised that so few people don't
mind having their personal corespondence (gmail)
and their social life (Facebook) owned and hosted
by an advertising company that disrespects their
privacy.
And according to Edward Snowden, also
sends their email to the NSA. Microsoft, which is
known to be sharing peoples' data with the NSA,
is currently fighting the US gov't over a request
that they turn over all European email stored on
servers in Ireland. Microsoft, of course, couldn't care
less about any of that. They've never respected anyone's
privacy and were one of the first to claim co-ownership
of content sent through hotmail. But it makes MS look
bad if they steal private property from Europeans and
give it to the US gov't. So they're going to court. The
US gov't is taking the position that since MS hosts the
email, the email itself is actually Microsoft business
records rather than private correspondence, and
therefore subject to US gov't demand!

It's up to you, but you can have email through
Charter if you want to set it up. It's just a bit of
a hassle because every ISP has slightly different
settings that one has to find out. This link looks
like it might provide what you need:

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/cus...ArticleID=1412

Though I wonder if that page is outdated. It
specifices port 25 for outgoing email, which is
very uncommon these days.
If you use TBird there's a good chance it will
figure out your settings for you, just by entering
your email address at Charter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Jan 2015, "Terry Coombs" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

RedAlt5 suggested one that looks pretty good . I may try that
eMclient program he suggested . One thing I really like about OE6
is that I can set it to leave a copy on the server on the computer
I take when I travel , so when I get home I can download the
messages to my desktop - which is set to delete them from the
server .

POP3 is designed for deleting the email from the server after
downloading by default, but every POP3 client that I've ever seen can
be set up to leave the mail on the server. OE isn't unique in that
respect. Thunderbird can do both POP3 and IMAP.

IMAP systems are designed for leaving all mail on the server, but to
also download and keep a copy locally.

I use IMAP on all my portable devices and POP3 on my main desktop
computer. That way I can read mail from everywhere for a couple of
days, after which it all gets to the desktop and can be archived.

Microsoft seems to be trying to hasten the demise of POP3 by no longer
including any POP3 clients with Windows. Most email servers have IMAP
available, but not all. Gmail and Yahoo do. My ISP, Comcast has had it
for the last year or two, although they don't advertise it. Verizon
does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Thanks to all , I guess I'll be going over there and installing/configuring
Tbird for these folks .

You may want to check their ISP. Mine offers web based email service
as well as pop and imap.

I have both a gmail and outlook.com accounts , but
they're throwaway accounts so I don't have to give out my primary pop3
account to every Tom Dick and Mary .

I keep my real and throwaway accounts all with Gmail. I hook them
together so I can read everything in one place. Further it makes me
independent of my ISP. I have 3 ISP choices here and when I switch I
don't have to go through the hassle of changing email addresses. Gmail
has pop and imap service so it works with just about anything.. For my
phone I use the K-9 imap android app.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2015 10:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

What she said . These folks have an email account thru our local isp and
don't want to change to a web-based email .

Do they have Outlook or Thunderbird? Both are free, easy to set up and
both can be used to configure email accounts regardless of it's ISP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

scarecrow wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Thanks to all , I guess I'll be going over there and
installing/configuring Tbird for these folks .

You may want to check their ISP. Mine offers web based email service
as well as pop and imap.

I have both a gmail and outlook.com accounts , but
they're throwaway accounts so I don't have to give out my primary
pop3 account to every Tom Dick and Mary .

I keep my real and throwaway accounts all with Gmail. I hook them
together so I can read everything in one place. Further it makes me
independent of my ISP. I have 3 ISP choices here and when I switch I
don't have to go through the hassle of changing email addresses. Gmail
has pop and imap service so it works with just about anything.. For my
phone I use the K-9 imap android app.

We have the same ISP , the only one available here unless we go with
satellite ... ours offers web email , but I don't like it and from thesse
folks' responses when I told them the new comp stores everything in the
cloud they won't either . They're both in their 90's , and neither is
computer literate . I want to keep it as simple as possible for them , they
aren't interested in new tricks .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote:
On 1/16/2015 10:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

What she said . These folks have an email account thru our local isp
and don't want to change to a web-based email .

Do they have Outlook or Thunderbird? Both are free, easy to set up and
both can be used to configure email accounts regardless of it's ISP.

I don't think so ... but I'll be setting up a program for them . These
people are in their 90's and aren't interested in anything but being able to
access their email on the new comp . I want to keep it as simple as
posssible for them .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nil wrote:
On 16 Jan 2015, "Terry Coombs" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

RedAlt5 suggested one that looks pretty good . I may try that
eMclient program he suggested . One thing I really like about OE6
is that I can set it to leave a copy on the server on the computer
I take when I travel , so when I get home I can download the
messages to my desktop - which is set to delete them from the
server .

POP3 is designed for deleting the email from the server after
downloading by default, but every POP3 client that I've ever seen can
be set up to leave the mail on the server. OE isn't unique in that
respect. Thunderbird can do both POP3 and IMAP.

I knew this , they don't -

IMAP systems are designed for leaving all mail on the server, but to
also download and keep a copy locally.

I've used IMAP a little , prefer POP3 .

I use IMAP on all my portable devices and POP3 on my main desktop
computer. That way I can read mail from everywhere for a couple of
days, after which it all gets to the desktop and can be archived.

I'm doing the same thing with POP3 .

Microsoft seems to be trying to hasten the demise of POP3 by no longer
including any POP3 clients with Windows. Most email servers have IMAP
available, but not all. Gmail and Yahoo do. My ISP, Comcast has had it
for the last year or two, although they don't advertise it. Verizon
does.

I don't think it's so much MS as it is the "powers that be" . It's a lot
harder to monitor a sheeple who keeps all his correspondence on his home
computer . If this sounds like I fear my government it's because ... I fear
my government .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2015 8:13 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Meanie wrote:
On 1/16/2015 10:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

What she said . These folks have an email account thru our local isp
and don't want to change to a web-based email .

Do they have Outlook or Thunderbird? Both are free, easy to set up and
both can be used to configure email accounts regardless of it's ISP.

I don't think so ... but I'll be setting up a program for them . These
people are in their 90's and aren't interested in anything but being able to
access their email on the new comp . I want to keep it as simple as
posssible for them .

My wife is like this and just accesses her email through our isp and
that means any computer. Just set their home page on their browser to
their isp's email account.

I have Win 8.1 and prefer to use Thunderbird for email. Easy to set up
free program and download messages to computer where filing is better.

I also have my home page set to isp which will tell me if there is email
and I also go there to make sure spam filter did not filter out
something I want to see.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Microsoft seems to be trying to hasten the demise of POP3 by no longer
| including any POP3 clients with Windows.

Not so much POP3 as "non-cloud computing".
Windows 8 tries to trick people into thinking they
need a Microsoft ID in order to use their computer.
As I understand it, that process also sets them
up with an outlook.com email address. The idea
is to keep people contained in Microsoft's version
of AOL.
It's all aimed at converting computer users to
service users who won't mind that they can't
control their computer, own their software, or
possess their data.

Government spooks, of course, are very happy
with that arrangement. It's creating an Orwellian
expectation that anyone who wants privacy must
be hiding something nefarious. Eric Schmidt of
Google, despite being known as a private person,
has been arrogant and/or naive enough to declare
as much. There's a very creepy clip of it he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6e7wfDHzew

What's really driving it for tech companies, though,
is just money. For years they were able to keep coming
out with new software and charge more for it. These
days most common software doesn't need to be paid for.
There are free alternatives. And the market has matured.
Products like MS Office and Adobe Photoshop haven't
really changed all that much since the 90s. Meanwhile,
those companies saw Steve Jobs creating locked down
devices, getting a 30% cut of software sales, and
making billions selling music through an online store.
And they saw Google become a mega-corporation by
switching their core product from search to spying, in
order to increase ad profit.

Microsoft wants a piece of that action. They've actually
been trying to get it ever since '98 when they came out
with Active Desktop, trying to convince people to
subscribe to "channels", which were intended to be
constant ad feeds from the likes of Disney that would be
mounted on the Desktop as embedded webpages.
(Remember the brief fad involving "thin clients" around
2000? Ever since PCs arrived there have been people
scheming to "rent you the car that you bought".)
Fortunately, Microsoft has so far failed to make
compelling spyware like Google. And they've mostly
failed to get people to buy restricted functionality, like
Apple's. Windows users are used to controlling the
hardware and software, so they've had to be herded
very slowly toward the services model. Thus the popular
dislike of the Metro giant button interface. People weren't
ready to trade their computer for a bunch of online
ad/service hybrids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
Meanie wrote:
On 1/16/2015 10:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

What she said . These folks have an email account thru our local isp
and don't want to change to a web-based email .

Do they have Outlook or Thunderbird? Both are free, easy to set up and
both can be used to configure email accounts regardless of it's ISP.

I don't think so ... but I'll be setting up a program for them . These
people are in their 90's and aren't interested in anything but being able to
access their email on the new comp . I want to keep it as simple as
posssible for them .

HI,
Download Seamonkey. It has news group, email server. Add-on
adblocker. Also it is browser. It is same as Firefox, Thunderbird combined.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 10:47:32 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
Nil wrote:
[...]

My ISP is WOW cable and I had to change the eM Client settings from IMAP to Pop3 to get their e-mails. Thats the only change I needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/16/2015 09:09 PM, bob_villa wrote:

[snip]

The is no need to set-up an app when there are so many free internet emails like Outlook, Yahoo, or Gmail. It's also handier to check your email when you're not at home.

Some of these services insert their spam into every email you receive. I
won't accept that.

BTW, my email is with my web hosting company. They provide POP3, IMAP,
and webmail all from the same mailbox. On my computer, I use Thunderbird.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The Christian religion not only was at first attended with miracles,
but even at this day cannot be believed by any reasonable person without
one." -- David Hume
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 9:04:57 PM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:
Retired wrote:
[...]

Good plan...Thunderbird should be no problem for the aged ones. I know because all of the sudden I am an old man. Don't know how that happened but it must have crept up on me. Now I'm looking for that "fountain of youth" that Ponce de Leon failed to find.
=====

Posted to alt.home.repair

Retired wrote:
[...]

About 8 years ago I went from Eudora to Thunderbird as Eudora was
unsupported and could not be fully adapted to Vista. Six years later
when my Vista machine bit the dust and I got a Win 8.1 machine, I found
TB much easier to install. I had also put TB on my wife's Win 7 laptop
when using to bridge the gap between machines. Mozilla products
constantly update and do not try to wring cash out of you like Microsoft.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 9:45:16 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
I recently helped an older (than me ...) couple set up their new computer
, and yesterday they called to ask for help in setting up their email . I
have no experience with the new comps , I'm a steadfast XP user .
I did a little bit of research today , and it looks like they need an app
for that ... is this how the new ones work ? I know how to set up the server
settings , user stuff and all that , but had no luck at all trying to help
them find the email client (over the phone) that I thought should be there -
every OS I'm familiar with has one built in (or included) with the OS .
I need some help here ...
--
Snag

I am sending this from my computer which has Vista -- My new Windows 8.1 is in the other room and I am still learning how to use it. First thing I did was buy Windows 8.1 for Dummies. It has helped but nothing short of a miracle will get me to use Windows 8.1. I bypassed the Windows Outlook mail program which is what 8.1 uses. It's complicated - but it can be done. It's Windows Live Mail - pretty much like what Vista and 7 has. I can't find the page with the instructions but it can be done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 10:24:22 -0800 (PST), Dottie
wrote:

I am sending this from my computer which has Vista -- My new Windows 8.1 is in the other room and I am still learning how to use it

Thanks for sharing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am sending this from my computer which has Vista -- My new Windows 8.1 is
in the other room and I am still learning how to use it. First thing I did
was buy Windows 8.1 for Dummies. It has helped but nothing short of a
miracle will get me to use Windows 8.1.

If you really hate it you can buy a copy of Win7
for about $100+_

http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/ms_p...tegory~186.asp

If you have Win8 Pro I think you also have
"downgrade rights".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 12:24:26 PM UTC-6, Dottie wrote:

I am sending this from my computer which has Vista -- My new Windows 8.1 is in the other room and I am still learning how to use it. First thing I did was buy Windows 8.1 for Dummies. It has helped but nothing short of a miracle will get me to use Windows 8.1. I bypassed the Windows Outlook mail program which is what 8.1 uses. It's complicated - but it can be done. It's Windows Live Mail - pretty much like what Vista and 7 has. I can't find the page with the instructions but it can be done.

Dottie this freeware program/shell can help 8.1 work more like Windows 7. http://classicshell.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 9:45:16 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
I recently helped an older (than me ...) couple set up their new computer
, and yesterday they called to ask for help in setting up their email . I
have no experience with the new comps , I'm a steadfast XP user .
I did a little bit of research today , and it looks like they need an app
for that ... is this how the new ones work ? I know how to set up the server
settings , user stuff and all that , but had no luck at all trying to help
them find the email client (over the phone) that I thought should be there -
every OS I'm familiar with has one built in (or included) with the OS .
I need some help here ...
--
Snag

I have heard about Classic Shell and I may end up downloading it. I know Windows 10 is due out this summer - and I sure hope it is an improvement over what I have now. Thanks for helping.