Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gerber Toilet Thread Update - Toilet Would Not Stop Running

Well, after I got one of the plumbing partners back here two weeks ago,
he never made one slight adjustment to it. He simply told me he hated
Kohler toilets (I have never had a problem with them) and I needed a
Gerber toilet. This is after three months of messing with it, including
three visits to my home. He installed two new Fluid Masters which
included the ballcock and flapper, both times.

I need to give credit where credit is due, thanks to all of you that
helped. Several people told me that the next time the toilet continues
to run, to take the tank lid off and see what happens. If the water
continues to drain past the hole, it is a flapper problem. This is
exactly what was happening.

I called the plumbers back, and luckily got the one that I really liked,
and I told him I was certain I had a faulty flapper, yep, this would be
the third one. I told him what was happening.
Before he got there, last Saturday, I took my hand and felt around the
flapper to be there were not rips, cuts, etc. in it. I also wiped
around the tank floor in case there was something holding up the flapper.

He installed another new flapper and I am happy to report it has been
working ever since. It will be a week tomorrow, and I have used it
heavily. I even instructed my company to use it. LOL

I find it hard to believe that it could have been three faulty flappers.

I hope I am not celebrating early, but right now it appears to be good
to go.

Happy New Year everyone, and thanks so much for all of the great help.
This group rocks!

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Flapper chain needs adjusstment properly. Maybe first plumber was lazy
bugger. What a waster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2015 11:09 PM, Kate wrote:

He installed another new flapper and I am happy to report it has been
working ever since. It will be a week tomorrow, and I have used it
heavily. I even instructed my company to use it. LOL

I find it hard to believe that it could have been three faulty flappers.

Thanks for the update. Did he put in some off brand cheap flappers?
Unusual that three would be bad that fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 11:32:11 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks for the update. Did he put in some off brand cheap flappers?
Unusual that three would be bad that fast.

What Tony said was probably the case...the chain was too long keeping the flapper from sealing. Not the flapper...it looks better to change the part out!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 22:09:42 -0600, Kate wrote:

I find it hard to believe that it could have been three faulty flappers.

I've installed new flappers plenty of times. Once, I did not get one
on correctly and it leaked. Just a little tinkering and adjustment
fixed it.

When you think a flapper is bad or leaking, add few drops of food
color in the tank and allow it to sit over night. The bowl water will
change color.

If the tank keeps running while you're present, the flapper may not be
closed - you can often see ripples in the bowl water as the water
exits the bowl rim jets.

Glad you got things fixed and thanks for the follow up.
--
Definition of a camel: A horse designed by a committee

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gerber Toilet Thread Update - Toilet Would Not Stop Running RESOLVED

Kate posted for all of us...

[...]

Nothing wrong with Kohler terlets. They have their own line of parts, unlike
Fluidmaster which I see complaints on occasionally in here.

I would get a new plumber.

Thanks for the resolution.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 16:39:05 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

Nothing wrong with Kohler terlets. They have their own line of parts, unlike
Fluidmaster which I see complaints on occasionally in here.

Nothing wrong with Fluidmatser if you can follow simple directions.
Speaking from two decades of use. Fits fine on my Kohler crapper unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Nothing wrong with Kohler terlets. They have their own line of parts, unlike
Fluidmaster which I see complaints on occasionally in here.

Nothing wrong with Fluidmatser if you can follow simple directions.
Speaking from two decades of use. Fits fine on my Kohler crapper unit.

The Fluidmaster units seem like really cheap plastic. Obviously they're working for you. Would you consider them to be
the top of the line?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Nothing wrong with Kohler terlets. They have their own line of parts, unlike
Fluidmaster which I see complaints on occasionally in here.

Nothing wrong with Fluidmatser if you can follow simple directions.
Speaking from two decades of use. Fits fine on my Kohler crapper unit.

The Fluidmaster units seem like really cheap plastic. Obviously they're working for you. Would you consider them to be
the top of the line?

What does "top of the line" even mean? Fluidmaster works just fine in
my house. As does other plastic things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 00:32:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/9/2015 11:09 PM, Kate wrote:

He installed another new flapper and I am happy to report it has been
working ever since. It will be a week tomorrow, and I have used it
heavily. I even instructed my company to use it. LOL

I find it hard to believe that it could have been three faulty flappers.

Thanks for the update. Did he put in some off brand cheap flappers?
Unusual that three would be bad that fast.

Some years ago, I bought a flapper from an old rural hardware store, and
paid too much for it, but it saved driving 50 miles to the city. It was
a name brand (cant remember the name). It refused to seal. I returned
it, got another one, and that one leaked too. I carefully drained the
water and polished the seat with a fine emory cloth. It still leaked.
I got a 3rd one, same problem. Yes, I did adjust the chain properly
each time.

I had to go to the city anyhow, so I bought another from a home repair
center. Problem solved.

I did compare the one from that old hardware store and noticed the
rubber was much more stiff. I came to the conclusion they were on the
shelf too long and became brittle. The guy gave me a refund after I
explained the problem, but they are still on the shelf (probably even
the ones I returned).

I should mention that I have bought both JB-Weld and some Epoxy from
that store, and both of them were hardened in the tubes. I also bought
a bag of hose washers that crumbled when I pushed them into the hose
end.

Apparently the stuff stays on the shelf forever or until someone buys
it. Needless to say, I no longer buy stuff there, unless it's something
that dont go bad from sitting on a shelf, like a piece of steel pipe,
box of nails, bolts, steel hardware, or a metal tool. And I only do
that to save driving a long distance, because it's still over priced.

The last time I needed JB-Weld, and did not want to drive to the city, I
bought it at the local auto-parts store and it was fine. (thats the
only other local place that sells it).

It's likely you had the same problem. OLD RUBBER.... too stiff to seal.

How do I stop new toilet seat from slipping? trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 30 April 10th 18 01:14 PM
toilet running J[_2_] Home Repair 11 April 21st 08 02:58 PM
Fixing running toilet Sasha Home Repair 4 August 13th 05 05:34 AM
Toilet doesn't stop running chemqueries Home Repair 3 June 16th 05 03:06 AM
Toilet won't stop filling Chemqueries Home Repair 8 November 3rd 04 02:49 AM