Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default Is it asbestos?

The main heat pipe going through the basement from the boiler is
enclosed in a wood channel, but I can see that the pipe is wrapped in
what looks like white corrogated cardboard around an inch thick. When
I bought the house I did have to have the old boiler removed and it
was encased in asbestos.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 11:39:45 AM UTC-6, dgk wrote:
The main heat pipe going through the basement from the boiler is
enclosed in a wood channel, but I can see that the pipe is wrapped in
what looks like white corrogated cardboard around an inch thick. When
I bought the house I did have to have the old boiler removed and it
was encased in asbestos.

Sounds like it could be, How old is the house???
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there a boiler for heating hot water for radiators or a furnace heating hot air? You talk about the main heat pipe, do you mean a hot water pipe that goes to radiators in each room?? Too little information given!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 12:39:40 -0500, dgk wrote:

The main heat pipe going through the basement from the boiler is
enclosed in a wood channel, but I can see that the pipe is wrapped in
what looks like white corrogated cardboard around an inch thick. When
I bought the house I did have to have the old boiler removed and it
was encased in asbestos.

Sounds like it IS asbestos. But as long as it's solid and not flaking
off, it wont hurt anything. You could probably coat it with something
like FlexSeal. If it's encased, it cant hurt anything. Asbestos is
only harmful if it's in the air. As a solid substance, it cant hurt
anything. (Before you spray it with a sealer, make sure the sealer can
handle the heat, especially if you coat the ends, where the spray will
contact the bare pipe).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2015 12:39 PM, dgk wrote:

The main heat pipe going through the basement from the boiler is
enclosed in a wood channel, but I can see that the pipe is wrapped in
what looks like white corrogated cardboard around an inch thick. When
I bought the house I did have to have the old boiler removed and it
was encased in asbestos.

Sounds like it. There are miles of that stuff around in old boiler
rooms. The only problem you have is if you decide to remove it. I'm
not sure what present codes are, but you can be sure if is a PITA to
follow the law.

Left in place, it is not harmful at all. It can be painted to seal it
if it has not been already. You can touch is as skin contact is no
problem. The danger comes from inhaling the dust and fibers if you
disturb it.

I do recall some years ago a plumber was standing on a ladder with a
cigarette hanging out of his mouth while tearing away the asbestos
insulation on a pipe. No goggles, no dust mask. That would not happen
today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
dgk typed:
The main heat pipe going through the basement from the boiler is
enclosed in a wood channel, but I can see that the pipe is wrapped in
what looks like white corrogated cardboard around an inch thick. When
I bought the house I did have to have the old boiler removed and it
was encased in asbestos.

That's what old asbestos insulation around heating pipes typically looks
like.

You said "boiler" -- do you have hot water heat or steam heat? And, I guess
that you still have radiators. If so, is it a one-pipe system or a two-pipe
system? And, after you had the old boiler removed, what was it replaced
with? -- steam heat, hot water heat, something else?

Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds like the newer type of insulation. Asbestos
I've seen is more like tape. Either way, if it is asbostos
you'll be able to turn it to muck with water and should
be able to see the strands, like thin fiberglass.

If you want to remove it yourself, keep it wet while
scraping it all off and washing the pipe. Then the problem
is getting rid of it. I think the best idea is to cast it
in concrete, perhaps in your cellar floor. But I don't
know where, or if, that's legal to do. I once called the
Mass. state authorities to see if I could cut and remove
asbestos siding in order to install a window. They told me
I could do whatever I like, so long as I don't dispose of
the debris. That needs a special license, apparently. But
your state may be different. Disposing of any rubbish has
become a changing affair that varies by city and state.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/10/2015 04:40 PM, Mayayana wrote:
It sounds like the newer type of insulation. Asbestos
I've seen is more like tape. Either way, if it is asbostos
you'll be able to turn it to muck with water and should
be able to see the strands, like thin fiberglass.

If you want to remove it yourself,

I advise not to try removing it
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 16:33:16 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sounds like it. There are miles of that stuff around in old boiler
rooms. The only problem you have is if you decide to remove it. I'm
not sure what present codes are, but you can be sure if is a PITA to
follow the law.

Left in place, it is not harmful at all. It can be painted to seal it
if it has not been already. You can touch is as skin contact is no
problem. The danger comes from inhaling the dust and fibers if you
disturb it.

I do recall some years ago a plumber was standing on a ladder with a
cigarette hanging out of his mouth while tearing away the asbestos
insulation on a pipe. No goggles, no dust mask. That would not happen
today.

This is true. However, you can remove it without getting the dust in
the air as long as you soak it with water. Not just spray it, but
saturate it. Begin by wetting it with a hose, split it open on the TOP
of the pipe. Then let water run into the split for quite a while. Then
remove it and seal it on trash bags, dispose the bags, and wash the
pipes with water. Then thoroughly wash the floor wothj a hose and down
the floor drain.

This may not be legal, but it works. I've done it, while repairing a
section of pipe. The clue is to make sure no dry material is exposed.
It will absorb water and turns to a soggy mushy stuff that easily comes
off. (Of course this is for doing in a concrete basement, not in your
living space).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 17:40:20 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

Mass. state authorities to see if I could cut and remove
asbestos siding in order to install a window. They told me

Asbestos siding is probably the safest form of asbestos as long as it's
not cut with a saw or grinder. The fibers are all embedded in whatever
they are made of. But how you manage to fill in the pieces around the
window, without sawing it, is beyond me..... Maybe a wet saw????

BTW: That was very durable and long lasting siding. But real tough to
install. I know if I had it on my house, I'd leave it. It sure beats
most of that plastic / vinyl siding crap they sell now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dgk" wrote in message

The main heat pipe going through the basement from the boiler is
enclosed in a wood channel, but I can see that the pipe is wrapped in
what looks like white corrogated cardboard around an inch thick. When
I bought the house I did have to have the old boiler removed and it
was encased in asbestos.

Best guess, yes. It used to be SOP to wrap with asbestos cloth and to
then slather over it with plaster.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 12:39:40 -0500, dgk wrote in

The main heat pipe going through the basement from the boiler is
enclosed in a wood channel, but I can see that the pipe is wrapped in
what looks like white corrogated cardboard around an inch thick. When
I bought the house I did have to have the old boiler removed and it
was encased in asbestos.

Yes, that's probably asbestos.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| BTW: That was very durable and long lasting siding. But real tough to
| install. I know if I had it on my house, I'd leave it. It sure beats
| most of that plastic / vinyl siding crap they sell now.

Yes. The asbestos is still there. It's beginning
to breal down a bit on the surface where it gets
a lot of water exposure, but asie from that it's
fine. Guessing it was probably put up around 1965,
that's 50 years with virtually no maintenance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 6:27:14 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 01/10/2015 04:40 PM, Mayayana wrote:
It sounds like the newer type of insulation. Asbestos
I've seen is more like tape. Either way, if it is asbostos
you'll be able to turn it to muck with water and should
be able to see the strands, like thin fiberglass.

If you want to remove it yourself,

I advise not to try removing it

As long as it's stable, not falling off, not subject to kids knocking
into it, etc, I agree.

The only potential problem may come if he goes to sell the place some day.
Many states have laws, standard disclosure forms that have to be filled
out and it may need to be disclosed, which then may result it having to
deal with it then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 6:27:14 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 01/10/2015 04:40 PM, Mayayana wrote:
It sounds like the newer type of insulation. Asbestos
I've seen is more like tape. Either way, if it is asbostos
you'll be able to turn it to muck with water and should
be able to see the strands, like thin fiberglass.

If you want to remove it yourself,

I advise not to try removing it

As long as it's stable, not falling off, not subject to kids knocking
into it, etc, I agree.

The only potential problem may come if he goes to sell the place some day.
Many states have laws, standard disclosure forms that have to be filled
out and it may need to be disclosed, which then may result it having to
deal with it then.

yes, you might want to get rid of it now on your terms, and then let time
fog your memory.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 10:54:10 AM UTC-5, Pico Rico wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
On Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 6:27:14 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 01/10/2015 04:40 PM, Mayayana wrote:
It sounds like the newer type of insulation. Asbestos
I've seen is more like tape. Either way, if it is asbostos
you'll be able to turn it to muck with water and should
be able to see the strands, like thin fiberglass.

If you want to remove it yourself,

I advise not to try removing it

As long as it's stable, not falling off, not subject to kids knocking
into it, etc, I agree.

The only potential problem may come if he goes to sell the place some day.
Many states have laws, standard disclosure forms that have to be filled
out and it may need to be disclosed, which then may result it having to
deal with it then.

yes, you might want to get rid of it now on your terms, and then let time
fog your memory.

Funny, I was thinking of saying something like that about the suggestions to
cover it with some spray or something to help contain it. If left alone,
one doesn't have to say anything. Even a disclosure form probably asks
something like "does the house contain any known asbestos"? As of right now,
the OP doesn't know there is asbestos, he doesn't know what it is.
But if you spray it to contain it,
etc, it's going to look recent and then it's fairly obvious you knew
asbestos was there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 08:25:51 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Was asbestos disclosed when the OP bought the house? Maybe the seller
played dummy-up, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 09:31:35 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| BTW: That was very durable and long lasting siding. But real tough to
| install. I know if I had it on my house, I'd leave it. It sure beats
| most of that plastic / vinyl siding crap they sell now.

Yes. The asbestos is still there. It's beginning
to breal down a bit on the surface where it gets
a lot of water exposure, but asie from that it's
fine. Guessing it was probably put up around 1965,
that's 50 years with virtually no maintenance.

I've seen it painted and the paint seems to adhere well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 16:34:19 -0500, "Jake29"
wrote:

In ,
dgk typed:
The main heat pipe going through the basement from the boiler is
enclosed in a wood channel, but I can see that the pipe is wrapped in
what looks like white corrogated cardboard around an inch thick. When
I bought the house I did have to have the old boiler removed and it
was encased in asbestos.

That's what old asbestos insulation around heating pipes typically looks
like.

You said "boiler" -- do you have hot water heat or steam heat? And, I guess
that you still have radiators. If so, is it a one-pipe system or a two-pipe
system? And, after you had the old boiler removed, what was it replaced
with? -- steam heat, hot water heat, something else?

It's a boiler going to steam radiators. I'm not sure if it's one or
two pipes, I'll check.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

[...]

I am planning on selling the house in a few months, which is why I'm
asking about it. I still don't know if it is or isn't but any
compentent inspector will know so I'd like it gone in that case.

I knew the boiler was wrapped in it, but that was removed when I
bought the house. My inspector didn't mention it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd take a look at the questions on the required state real estate
disclosure form, if there is one. As I said before, where you're at
now, depending on the questions asked, you probably don't have to
disclose anything. Once you know there is asbestos, then you likely
do need to disclose it. And if there is a state standard/required
disclosure form, it may very well ask if asbestos was there, when it
was removed, how, etc. Just that it was there and removed recently
might cause some buyers to run.

Not saying what you should do one way or the other, just that I'd
look at what answers you have to supply as it may affect how you
want to proceed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

[...]

I sent an email to my lawyer. From what I see, New York State sellers
can pay a $500 penalty for failing to file a disclosure form, and many
do that. But I'll have to check if NYC has tighter laws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

disclosure forms typically have Yes, No, Don't Know as choices. Most
answers are "don't know".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Asbestos I can tell (!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
dgk typed:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 16:34:19 -0500, "Jake29"
wrote:

In ,
dgk typed:
The main heat pipe going through the basement from the boiler is
enclosed in a wood channel, but I can see that the pipe is wrapped
in what looks like white corrogated cardboard around an inch thick.
When I bought the house I did have to have the old boiler removed
and it was encased in asbestos.

That's what old asbestos insulation around heating pipes typically
looks like.

You said "boiler" -- do you have hot water heat or steam heat? And,
I guess that you still have radiators. If so, is it a one-pipe
system or a two-pipe system? And, after you had the old boiler
removed, what was it replaced with? -- steam heat, hot water heat,
something else?

It's a boiler going to steam radiators. I'm not sure if it's one or
two pipes, I'll check.

Okay. One reason that I was asking is that if you have steam heat now, but
it is a two-pipe radiator system, you have the option of converting from
steam heat to hot water radiator heat. Whether you want to, or should, do
that is another question.

I have a property that has a natural gas fired one-pipe radiator steam heat
system. Steam heat can get a little complicated to deal with and to
maintain properly, especially for tenants (which I have in that property).
I had to learn as much as I could about steam heat when I bought the
property because I never had steam heat before. Some people say it is the
best type of heat to have. Still, if I had the option, I would convert my
steam heat system with a large old boiler to a higher efficiency natural gas
fired hot water radiator system with a much smaller boiler unit.
Unfortunately, that is not an option for me since I have a one-pipe radiator
system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

"There is no right way to do the wrong thing."

Thomas Huxley (1825-1895)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 12:27:01 -0800, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

disclosure forms typically have Yes, No, Don't Know as choices. Most
answers are "don't know".

Butter Bean

I've never had more than one or three minor "gigs" on an inspection
report. Long story short, home inspectors can do business without any
real world experience.

Check your state; check for inspector qualification or certification.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Unless there is some other reason to not file a disclosure form, I
don't see why doing that is a consideration. Even if you can pay $500
to somehow opt out, what are buyer's going to think when you do that?
I would think it could wind up costing you a lot more than $500. If
brokers and/or lawyers are involved, almost certainly the buyers are
going to be put on notice that a disclosure form is lacking and then
they are going to wonder why, may find another property, etc.

From what I see at this point, the issue is really what they actually
ask about asbestos on the disclosure form and how that affects how
you choose to proceed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 16:38:25 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sure there are, depending on what the wrong thing is. In this case, my
lawyer says that there is no obligation to remove an asbestos, and
that most people do pay the $500 penalty and do not sign a disclosure
form. There is less exposure if you don't sign the form.

DryLok over Asbestos Tile? (or how to waterproof over asbestos tile) Dan Home Repair 4 May 21st 17 02:01 AM
About Asbestos antcolony Home Repair 3 September 4th 07 02:37 PM
About Asbestos antcolony Home Ownership 0 September 3rd 07 11:04 PM
Asbestos in the Air xPosTech[_2_] Home Repair 0 August 25th 07 04:08 AM
asbestos [email protected] UK diy 2 March 28th 07 09:53 PM