Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Is it asbestos?

On 1/10/2015 12:39 PM, dgk wrote:

The main heat pipe going through the basement from the boiler is
enclosed in a wood channel, but I can see that the pipe is wrapped in
what looks like white corrogated cardboard around an inch thick. When
I bought the house I did have to have the old boiler removed and it
was encased in asbestos.

Sounds like it. There are miles of that stuff around in old boiler
rooms. The only problem you have is if you decide to remove it. I'm
not sure what present codes are, but you can be sure if is a PITA to
follow the law.

Left in place, it is not harmful at all. It can be painted to seal it
if it has not been already. You can touch is as skin contact is no
problem. The danger comes from inhaling the dust and fibers if you
disturb it.

I do recall some years ago a plumber was standing on a ladder with a
cigarette hanging out of his mouth while tearing away the asbestos
insulation on a pipe. No goggles, no dust mask. That would not happen
today.