Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recap of 2014 posts

I remember some but not all of the popular posts here.

What were your favorites and was a resolution posted.

Do you think too many posts are made without research, that have been beaten
to death before?

Do you feel the OP has an obligation to provide a resolution - good or bad?

Do you feel this a stupid post? What do you feel is important?

Please leave out politics and religion.

*Happy New Year* in case I don't get back here promptly.
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

HNY Tekkie!! It's one of the best usenet groups. Very useful and pleasant. Specific replies below with each question....

"Tekkie®" wrote in message ...

I remember some but not all of the popular posts here.

What were your favorites and was a resolution posted.

I have no specific favorite. Even those that stray off topic are fine as long as they stay somewhat relevant.

Do you think too many posts are made without research, that have been beaten
to death before?

No. Repeating the same questions means people are taking part. For example, if my heater is working fine, I won't be checking threads about how to fix a heater. Telling someone "google is your friend" or "that was discussed last month" with no constructive advice will only turn people off. 1 on 1 discussion with someone familiar with a topic is many times better than googling.

Do you feel the OP has an obligation to provide a resolution - good or bad?

Always good to know, but not realistic to expect it. A "thanks" is always appreciated and will keep the forum active.

Do you feel this a stupid post? What do you feel is important?

It's an excellent post! It made me think (watch out!! LOL!) It's important to respect everyone who posts. As the Desiderata (sp?) says, "even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story to tell" -- just ask my wife. LOL!!

Please leave out politics and religion.

Good advice. This group is better than most. It survived the recent election.

*Happy New Year* in case I don't get back here promptly.
--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message ...

What do you feel is important?

It would be helpful to me if alt.home.repair could recommend a common usenet binaries group where the posters here can upload sketches and small photos.

My internet access is not always good, but email and usenet are fine. Also, web-based free sites change their formats, links or otherwise can be cumbersome to use.

I know most ISP's did away with carrying usenet a few years ago, but some, like earthlink & peoplepc (mine) still have all of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 15:53:23 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

I remember some but not all of the popular posts here.

You forgot about Andrea Tantaros and Fox News legal analyst Kimberly
Guilfoyle outed as former underwear model?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNj0T4uK3lE

What were your favorites and was a resolution posted.

Danny D.. They go on forever, but he does follow up with results.

Do you think too many posts are made without research, that have been beaten to death before?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Do+you+think+too+many+posts+are+made+without+re search%2C+that+have+been+beaten+%20%3Eto+death+bef ore%3F

Do you feel the OP has an obligation to provide a resolution - good or bad?

Preferred. Some people are bashful.

Do you feel this a stupid post? What do you feel is important?

No. Girls at Fox News

Please leave out politics and religion.

yawn

*Happy New Year* in case I don't get back here promptly.

You have "an obligation to provide a resolution".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sasquatch Jones wrote:
"Tekkie®" wrote in message

What do you feel is important?

It would be helpful to me if alt.home.repair could recommend a common
usenet binaries group where the posters here can upload sketches and
small photos.

My internet access is not always good, but email and usenet are fine.
Also, web-based free sites change their formats, links or otherwise
can be cumbersome to use.

I know most ISP's did away with carrying usenet a few years ago, but
some, like earthlink & peoplepc (mine) still have all of them.

Most posters here probably use free servers, and therefore are highly unlikely
to be able to access binary groups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Sasquatch Jones wrote:
"Tekkie®" wrote in message

What do you feel is important?

It would be helpful to me if alt.home.repair could recommend a common
usenet binaries group where the posters here can upload sketches and
small photos.

My internet access is not always good, but email and usenet are fine.
Also, web-based free sites change their formats, links or otherwise
can be cumbersome to use.

I know most ISP's did away with carrying usenet a few years ago, but
some, like earthlink & peoplepc (mine) still have all of them.

Most posters here probably use free servers, and therefore are highly
unlikely to be able to access binary groups.

Eternal-september has binary access , though file sizes are limited .
Teranews has full free binary access with the only restriction being a
50Mb/day cap . I've hit the cap maybe 5 times in ten or so years . e-s is
totally free , tera has several levels , from totally free to
pay-for-bandwidth plans . I'm using their
free-after-a-$3.95-setup-fee plan .
Tera is my primary server , I keep e-s as a backup for those infrequent
times when tera goes down .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:31:37 -0800, "Sasquatch Jones"
wrote:

No. Repeating the same questions means people are taking part.

For example, if my heater is working fine, I won't be checking threads
about how to fix a heater. Telling someone "google is your friend" or
"that was discussed last month" with no constructive advice will only
turn people off. 1 on 1 discussion with someone familiar with a topic
is many times better than googling.

---

Google continues to get worse. Over half the search results are either
advertising, have nothing to do with the topic, or are sites that no
longer exist. Those that do pertain, are more often than not, some blog
or discussion forum, which is nothing but jibber jabber and
inconsistant. Google was never perfect, but it continues to get worse.
It appears they'd rather support their advertisers than give useful
search results. I often wonder if Google sleeps with Ebay, because Ebay
stuff seems to come up first.

A while back, I was searching for some info for the carburetor for an
older Chevy truck, and all I got were results for other vehicle brands,
when I specifically put "Chevy Truck" in the search line.

I finally went to an "automotive" newsgroup and got a lot more help.

It'll be a sad day when the newsgroups are all dead. Most of them are
dead and gone already, but thankfully, alt.home.repair remains active.
But I do see some posts on here that at one time would have been better
suited for an automotive or computer related newsgroup, but those groups
are dead or dying. So, it seems alt.home.repair is becoming more of a
"catchall" for a lot of topics, which are repair related, but not
necessarily "home" related.

If you ask me, I think the whole internet is going to the ****ter. Back
in the 90's and early 2000's it was fun. Now it's swamped by
advertising, too restrictive, and dominated by that repulsive Facebook!
(I wont say EXACTLY what I think about Facebook, because I'd have to use
very vulgar language). The internet is no longer fun, but at times it's
useful for researching a topic. But even that is getting worse. Not
too long ago, I had a sick pet, and before calling a vet, (after hours),
I wanted to see if I could do something. I went to a site that has that
sort of information. After reading a few paragraphs, I clicked "next
page" and was told I had to both REGISTER and PAY to read the rest of
the article. I used some of my worst vocabulary, and later, I blocked
that website so I never go to it again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 15:53:23 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

Do you feel the OP has an obligation to provide a resolution - good or bad?

It's not in the TOS and it's not in the Bible specifcally, but he has
some obligation. However lots of problems take weeks, months, or years
to resolve and it's easy to forget or feel that those who replied aren't
there anymore, or have lost interest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 20:36:34 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 15:53:23 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

Do you feel the OP has an obligation to provide a resolution - good or bad?

It's not in the TOS and it's not in the Bible specifcally, but he has
some obligation. However lots of problems take weeks, months, or years
to resolve and it's easy to forget or feel that those who replied aren't
there anymore, or have lost interest.

Yea, and some threads seem to get hijacked into another totally
different topic and get so large in replies that I dont want to even
read them anymore. I regularly save threads which I began, or others
that are interesting, but when they turn into junk or people start
flaming others, or turn it into politics, I tend to just delete any
further additions to that thread. This is annoying but no one can
prevent it on an unmoderateed newsgroup. But I guess I'd rather deal
with that sort of stuff, than have to register and then constantly sign
in on web forums everytime I want to read them.

I often thank people in advance when I post a question. I read all
replies to my own questions, (unless they get hijacked), but I dont
always feel the need to reply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 28, 2014 12:53:19 PM UTC-8, Tekkie® wrote:
I remember some but not all of the popular posts here.

What were your favorites and was a resolution posted.

Do you think too many posts are made without research, that have been beaten
to death before?

Do you feel the OP has an obligation to provide a resolution - good or bad?

Do you feel this a stupid post? What do you feel is important?

Please leave out politics and religion.

*Happy New Year* in case I don't get back here promptly.
--
Tekkie

That damned "Colonel" sure stinks up the place with his spam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ditto all around, Brother Jerry. I am proud to say I have never visited anyone's Facebook page, don't twitter my time away and don't use my cell phone to distribute cash from my bank account. LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes. There are about 20 reasons, in addition to those two, not to
wasted one's time on web forums. I made a list once but I see below
that I can't remember most of them this time.

The biggest is that there is so little text on the screen, and one has
to wait, if only a little bit, for the next screen. With Usenet, you
can download all the headers for all threads in one shot, and if a
thread is interesting, download all the bodies, and then you have them
all, at one time.

Also, open tabs contribute to browser crashing. Agent 1.93 otoh almost
never crashes, only if windows does, and never freezes. .

I often thank people in advance when I post a question. I read all
replies to my own questions, (unless they get hijacked), but I dont
always feel the need to reply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 18:54:21 -0600, wrote:

I finally went to an "automotive" newsgroup and got a lot more help.

There is a shortage of automotive newsgropus. Which one did you visit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In hopes of improving the newsgroup, below is a illustration of how not to reply to a question.

In this example, Oral has obviously misread the original question and has absolutely nothing of value to add. However, Oral does not let that stop him from reminding us that "reading comprehension" does indeed have a place outside of the classroom. Oral just ain't got none.

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 18:15:31 -0800, Oren wrote:

I see no reason to subscribe to a binary group when it isn't
necessary. Text groups work just fine for me. A simple URL to a free
hosting site has worked just fine for most all people here. For those
not using binary groups.

The guy can post to a binary group, worry about his upload DSL speed
but can't use the same speed for a free site? And post the URL here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Your experience is very different than mine. I use Google search almost
every day and find it works extremely well. Sure, they do have some links
to advertisers that show up at the top, but they are followed by useful
links to the valuable information I want. I don't have a problem with
jibber jabber, lots of websites that are not valid, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2014 3:53 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I remember some but not all of the popular posts here.

What were your favorites and was a resolution posted.

Do you think too many posts are made without research, that have been beaten
to death before?

Do you feel the OP has an obligation to provide a resolution - good or bad?

Do you feel this a stupid post? What do you feel is important?

Please leave out politics and religion.

*Happy New Year* in case I don't get back here promptly.

For variety, and qty of posts, Danny D has to
be way out in front. I am interested that changing
flat tires seems to attract a lot of posts. Amazing
how some threads light up the board. And some
just lay there and rot.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2014 10:45 PM, micky wrote:

Do you feel the OP has an obligation to provide a resolution - good or bad?

I often thank people in advance when I post a question. I read all
replies to my own questions, (unless they get hijacked), but I dont
always feel the need to reply.

Depends on the question. None of us get paid to solve problems but we
do it to help others. Not every question requires a followup but it
would be nice to know if a problem is resolved and how it was. It can
help the next person.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I remember some but not all of the popular posts here.

What were your favorites and was a resolution posted.

Do you think too many posts are made without research, that have been beaten
to death before?

Do you feel the OP has an obligation to provide a resolution - good or bad?

Do you feel this a stupid post? What do you feel is important?

Please leave out politics and religion.

*Happy New Year* in case I don't get back here promptly.

I want to know what happened with the gal who's neighbor was digging a
trench to fix his basement leaks, had taken down her fence and had
piled dirt on her yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I remember some but not all of the popular posts here.

What were your favorites and was a resolution posted.

Do you think too many posts are made without research, that have been beaten
to death before?

Do you feel the OP has an obligation to provide a resolution - good or bad?

Do you feel this a stupid post? What do you feel is important?

Please leave out politics and religion.

*Happy New Year* in case I don't get back here promptly.

I want to know what happened with the gal who's neighbor was digging a
trench to fix his basement leaks, had taken down her fence and had
piled dirt on her yard.

I remember that one, but I think it was a man using a woman's email.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recap of 2014 posts #1

Oren posted for all of us...

You forgot about Andrea Tantaros and Fox News legal analyst Kimberly
Guilfoyle outed as former underwear model?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNj0T4uK3lE

I like this video, I had never seen it before. Andrea is a local girl...
She likes to dance and admits to twerking. I would like to practice with
her.

Kimberly's VS modeling days are hard to find. In fact, either when they had
their wrap-up of the year or Bolling mentioned the VS TV show not a peep
about KG.

Maria Molina (weather) irks me with saying "That's right..." every morning.
She does have spunk though as she went up with the Blue Angels and admitted
to passing out during a maneuver

Someone told me that Rush Limbaugh (no I don't need anyones opinion on him)
stated that Fox has a machine that they pump out news people from.

Intelligence and good looks still exist.

My resolution is to read more responses to this post.
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 15:36:50 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

You forgot about Andrea Tantaros and Fox News legal analyst Kimberly
Guilfoyle outed as former underwear model?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNj0T4uK3lE

I like this video, I had never seen it before. Andrea is a local girl...
She likes to dance and admits to twerking. I would like to practice with
her.

Kimberly's VS modeling days are hard to find. In fact, either when they had
their wrap-up of the year or Bolling mentioned the VS TV show not a peep
about KG.

She is a former First Lady of San Francisco.

Maria Molina (weather) irks me with saying "That's right..." every morning.
She does have spunk though as she went up with the Blue Angels and admitted
to passing out during a maneuver

She is Cubano, from Miami. Engaged to be married now to a Storm
Chaser, so some guys cried in their beer about it. My guess is that
under certain circumstances she is a real firecracker.

Someone told me that Rush Limbaugh (no I don't need anyones opinion on him)
stated that Fox has a machine that they pump out news people from.

Intelligence and good looks still exist.

My wife won't let me near some of those intelligent women.

My resolution is to read more responses to this post.

Resolution granted