Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Recap of 2014 posts

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 20:11:17 -0600, wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 20:36:34 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 15:53:23 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

Do you feel the OP has an obligation to provide a resolution - good or bad?

It's not in the TOS and it's not in the Bible specifcally, but he has
some obligation. However lots of problems take weeks, months, or years
to resolve and it's easy to forget or feel that those who replied aren't
there anymore, or have lost interest.

Yea, and some threads seem to get hijacked into another totally
different topic and get so large in replies that I dont want to even
read them anymore. I regularly save threads which I began, or others
that are interesting, but when they turn into junk or people start
flaming others, or turn it into politics, I tend to just delete any
further additions to that thread. This is annoying but no one can
prevent it on an unmoderateed newsgroup. But I guess I'd rather deal
with that sort of stuff, than have to register and then constantly sign
in on web forums everytime I want to read them.

Yes. There are about 20 reasons, in addition to those two, not to
wasted one's time on web forums. I made a list once but I see below
that I can't remember most of them this time.

The biggest is that there is so little text on the screen, and one has
to wait, if only a little bit, for the next screen. With Usenet, you
can download all the headers for all threads in one shot, and if a
thread is interesting, download all the bodies, and then you have them
all, at one time.

Also, open tabs contribute to browser crashing. Agent 1.93 otoh almost
never crashes, only if windows does, and never freezes. .

I often thank people in advance when I post a question. I read all
replies to my own questions, (unless they get hijacked), but I dont
always feel the need to reply.