Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WINTER TIP - Frozen Clothing on your Body

Most people dont have to use a hose outdoors in cold winter weather.
However, as a farmer, I do have to use one often. Other occupations use
them too. But one thing about using a garden hose, is that sooner or
later it's going to slip or shoot the water the wrong way, and YOU get
soaked. In warm weather that is not a big problem, but in freezing
winter weather, it can be a big problem.

Last winter I had a hose get away from me when I slipped on some ice,
and in seconds I was soaked. The temperature was well below zero, so by
the time I got the hose to it's destination (a livestock tank), my
clothing was coated with ice. I quickly went in the house, and was real
cold. But my clothing, espacially pants, were so coated with ice they
did not flex, and I could not get them off my body, at least not without
cutting them off.

I grabbed a hair dryer, and that started to work, but was very slow.
That's when I got my electric heat gun. That worked wonders. But those
heat guns are meant to strip paint melt plastic pipes to bend them, and
other tasks. DO NOT apply them to your bare skin. But to melt the ice
off those pants, I just kept moving it fairly fast across my frozen
clothing (still on my body).

Once the ice on the clothing turned to water, I changed clothes and
tossed the wet stuff in the dryer. But on one incident, I only had a
wet sleeve and just kept using the heat gun until it was dry.

Just be careful to not start your clothing on fire, or burn your skin.
The trick is to keep it moving and dont let it sit in one place. Also
keep the tip of the gun at least 2 inches away from the clothing.

Senior Member

People should know that it's the air trapped in clothing that provides the insulation against the cold. Water logged and frozen clothing won't insulate you from the cold.

Also, it's a common misconception that drinking alcohol will "make you feel warmer", and in fact it does, but at a price. Normally, when you get cold, your body's normal reaction is to restrict blood flow to your extremities like your hands and feet so as to minimize heat loss from the core of your body. Alcohol interferes with that natural reaction so that you still get normal blood flow to your hands and feet, so that your hands and feet feel warmer, but because that's where you lose heat the fastest, maintaining normal blood flow to your extremities actually causes your core temperature to fall faster than if you had not drank any alcohol. So, drinking in cold weather can be a dangerous business for hunters and ice fishermen if they don't understand that. And, if you've had too much to drink, never fall asleep in a snow bank thinking that the snow will be a good insulator. You'll freeze to death.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 6, 2014 8:00:43 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Most people dont have to use a hose outdoors in cold winter weather.
However, as a farmer, I do have to use one often. Other occupations use
them too. But one thing about using a garden hose, is that sooner or
later it's going to slip or shoot the water the wrong way, and YOU get
soaked. In warm weather that is not a big problem, but in freezing
winter weather, it can be a big problem.

If it happened to me...I'd fill the tub with warm water and get it! A bit safer and you're wet anyway!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Most people dont have to use a hose outdoors in cold winter weather.
However, as a farmer, I do have to use one often. Other occupations use
them too. But one thing about using a garden hose, is that sooner or
later it's going to slip or shoot the water the wrong way, and YOU get
soaked. In warm weather that is not a big problem, but in freezing
winter weather, it can be a big problem.

If it happened to me...I'd fill the tub with warm water and get it! A bit
safer and you're wet anyway!

#Bob: Does yer wife have winter tits? Winter tits are hard as a rock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 19:00:28 -0700, wrote:

Most people dont have to use a hose outdoors in cold winter weather.
However, as a farmer, I do have to use one often. Other occupations use
them too. But one thing about using a garden hose, is that sooner or
later it's going to slip or shoot the water the wrong way, and YOU get
soaked. In warm weather that is not a big problem, but in freezing
winter weather, it can be a big problem.
...snip....

I used to take a 30 or was that 33 gal large trash bag, cut holes for head
and arms making a pancho, slip over clothing,then I could spray water with
complete impunity. [often had to spray above head] Get wet? no biggie. not
only that, during the whole processs that plastic sheet made it a LOT
warmer inside the clothing, especially if there was a wind.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 12/6/2014 9:00 PM, wrote:
[...]

That's profound advice, and may save a life.

As to moving water to your stock, is there any
way to run (thinking out loud) an overhead tube,
with a LOT of slope, so you can pump water, then
unconnect it and all drains out?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 12/7/2014 1:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/6/2014 9:00 PM, wrote:
[...]

You're already soaked, take a hot shower to melt the ice and warm
yourself at the same time.
Faster and safer than using an electrical appliance.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 14:00:34 -0600, "David J. Hughes"
wrote:

You're already soaked, take a hot shower to melt the ice and warm
yourself at the same time.

I must be the odd man out. Never had clothing frozen to my body. Cold
as heck, sure. I've been and lived in cold climate change areas.

Stand by the fire place
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Just be careful to not start your clothing on fire, or burn your skin.
The trick is to keep it moving and dont let it sit in one place. Also
keep the tip of the gun at least 2 inches away from the clothing.

That's profound advice, and may save a life.

As to moving water to your stock, is there any
way to run (thinking out loud) an overhead tube,
with a LOT of slope, so you can pump water, then
unconnect it and all drains out?

Actually I have such a thing in my barn, which drains outside to the
stock tank in the back of the barn. But having a variety of animals, I
have more than one tank, and in one place, requires running a hose
across the gravel driveway. I cant see any way to run a sloping pipe
across there, and have it high enough for farm machinery. The ideal
solution would be to have more yard hydrants installed, but that costs
big money. Plus those yard hydrants can and do freeze up too, if the
weather remains way below zero for weeks at a time. Last winter I had
one freeze about 4 1/2 feet below the ground. That is the first time
that happened, but last winter was one of the most severe winters ever.
I ended up cramming many animals in the barn, which was chaotic, but it
kept them warmer, and was the only waay I could get water to them.
Before I moved them, I was attempting to connect SEVEN 50ft. hoses
together, which would freeze before they were all connected. Then came
the trick of trying to shove those frozen stiff hoses into the door of
the house, and later mopping up lots of water as they thawed.

I was never more happy when Spring came. It still took weeks before
that hydrant finally thawed.

You're already soaked, take a hot shower to melt the ice and warm
yourself at the same time.
Faster and safer than using an electrical appliance.

If it's just my pants that are frozen, going in the tub or shower makes
sense. But if it's also a thick winter coat, ans/or multiple layers of
clothing, I'll stick with the heat gun method. The clothing is wet, but
not completely saturated. But in severe cold weather, it freezes very
stiff and is hard or impossible to remove, until the ice is melted.

Much of this also depends on what a person has for doing laundry. My
basic washing machine is too small for a thick winter coat. I normally
take it to a laundromat in Spring. I dont wash it during the winter,
it's only a work coat and not one I wear to go to town. If it's wet
from the hose, it will dry if hung over a heat register over night. But
wearing it into the tub or shower will require a trip to town and the
laundromat, and probably a frozen coat when I get there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

[...]

Perhaps the best way to thaw out would be in the
Sauna!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

You're already soaked, take a hot shower to melt the ice and warm
yourself at the same time.

I must be the odd man out. Never had clothing frozen to my body. Cold
as heck, sure. I've been and lived in cold climate change areas.

Stand by the fire place

The fireplace is far far too slow. And yeah..I grew up in Northern
Michigan and ride a motorcycle year round. I have had clothing frozen
to me on so many occasions one doesnt bother trying to remember how
many times.

If you dress smart..having a layer of ice on the outside means
nothing. Unfortunately most folks dont dress smart..and it can and
does kill them.

When you get home,IMMEDIATELY strip, jump into a warm but not hot
shower and then toss your gear into the dryer after breaking off the
ice

Its not rocket science.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 19:07:08 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Yes, but it take longer to get to Finland than to get downtown.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Gunner Asch on Sun, 07 Dec 2014 16:09:02 -0800
typed in alt.survival the following:
[...]

If it hurts, it is too hot.

Alternately - a sauna.
--
pyotr filipivich
The fears of one class of men are not the measure of the rights of another.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2014 10:01 AM, lawrence glickman wrote:
when I way young, I fell through thin ice on a lake. I was lucky it
was only as deep as my waist.

When I got OUT of the water is when every bit of clothing from my
waist down froze solid. Didn't at all interfere with my haste to get
home and doff the garments.

If that happens and you can't get home (e.g. you are walking distance
from your car) yank off your clothes once you get back to the car and
have warmed up the engine. The frozen pants will keep the wind out.
You will freeze more quickly without those frozen garments on, as the
cold air will hurt you faster than the ice shield between you and the
air.

YMMV, IMO, anecdote.

Lg

One of the Alaska shows, recently. One of the old
locals fell through the ice. His buddies promptly
kindled a fire, pulled off his wet clothes and put
him in a sleeping bag. Warmed him and dried the
clothes using a bit of a camp fire, on the shore.

In urban America, McDonalds is more likely to
have hot air blower hand driers, which are
totally useful.

-
..
Christopher A. Young