Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Default WINTER TIP - Frozen Clothing on your Body

On 12/8/2014 10:01 AM, lawrence glickman wrote:
when I way young, I fell through thin ice on a lake. I was lucky it
was only as deep as my waist.

When I got OUT of the water is when every bit of clothing from my
waist down froze solid. Didn't at all interfere with my haste to get
home and doff the garments.

If that happens and you can't get home (e.g. you are walking distance
from your car) yank off your clothes once you get back to the car and
have warmed up the engine. The frozen pants will keep the wind out.
You will freeze more quickly without those frozen garments on, as the
cold air will hurt you faster than the ice shield between you and the
air.

YMMV, IMO, anecdote.

Lg

One of the Alaska shows, recently. One of the old
locals fell through the ice. His buddies promptly
kindled a fire, pulled off his wet clothes and put
him in a sleeping bag. Warmed him and dried the
clothes using a bit of a camp fire, on the shore.

In urban America, McDonalds is more likely to
have hot air blower hand driers, which are
totally useful.

-
..
Christopher A. Young