Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil Kangas[_4_] Phil Kangas[_4_] is offline

Default WINTER TIP - Frozen Clothing on your Body

wrote in message
news
On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 14:00:34 -0600, "David J.
Hughes"
wrote:

Just be careful to not start your clothing on
fire, or burn your skin.
The trick is to keep it moving and dont let
it sit in one place. Also
keep the tip of the gun at least 2 inches
away from the clothing.

That's profound advice, and may save a life.

As to moving water to your stock, is there any
way to run (thinking out loud) an overhead
tube,
with a LOT of slope, so you can pump water,
then
unconnect it and all drains out?

Actually I have such a thing in my barn, which
drains outside to the
stock tank in the back of the barn. But having
a variety of animals, I
have more than one tank, and in one place,
requires running a hose
across the gravel driveway. I cant see any way
to run a sloping pipe
across there, and have it high enough for farm
machinery. The ideal
solution would be to have more yard hydrants
installed, but that costs
big money. Plus those yard hydrants can and do
freeze up too, if the
weather remains way below zero for weeks at a
time. Last winter I had
one freeze about 4 1/2 feet below the ground.
That is the first time
that happened, but last winter was one of the
most severe winters ever.
I ended up cramming many animals in the barn,
which was chaotic, but it
kept them warmer, and was the only waay I could
get water to them.
Before I moved them, I was attempting to connect
SEVEN 50ft. hoses
together, which would freeze before they were
all connected. Then came
the trick of trying to shove those frozen stiff
hoses into the door of
the house, and later mopping up lots of water as
they thawed.

I was never more happy when Spring came. It
still took weeks before
that hydrant finally thawed.

You're already soaked, take a hot shower to melt
the ice and warm
yourself at the same time.
Faster and safer than using an electrical
appliance.

If it's just my pants that are frozen, going in
the tub or shower makes
sense. But if it's also a thick winter coat,
ans/or multiple layers of
clothing, I'll stick with the heat gun method.
The clothing is wet, but
not completely saturated. But in severe cold
weather, it freezes very
stiff and is hard or impossible to remove, until
the ice is melted.

Much of this also depends on what a person has
for doing laundry. My
basic washing machine is too small for a thick
winter coat. I normally
take it to a laundromat in Spring. I dont wash
it during the winter,
it's only a work coat and not one I wear to go
to town. If it's wet
from the hose, it will dry if hung over a heat
register over night. But
wearing it into the tub or shower will require a
trip to town and the
laundromat, and probably a frozen coat when I
get there.

Perhaps the best way to thaw out would be in the
Sauna!