Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dish washer and garbage disposal

A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

Hi,
I wonder why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:21:26 -0600, philo* wrote:

A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

Certainly. You have water at the unit.

Kitchens require a GFCI in modern times?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2014 6:21 PM, philo wrote:
A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

Something to consider. If you hard wire, they have to be disconnected if
moved out for service. I put a receptacle under the sink Short cord and
plug makes it easy to handle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2014 06:17 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:21:26 -0600, philo wrote:

A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

Certainly. You have water at the unit.

Kitchens require a GFCI in modern times?

I was pretty sure. Thanks for the confirmation.

This should not be too bad, the wall has been partially removed and it's
only about 12 feet from the breaker box.

Will p/u two GFC breakers tomorrow

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2014 06:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/17/2014 6:21 PM, philo wrote:
A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

Something to consider. If you hard wire, they have to be disconnected if
moved out for service. I put a receptacle under the sink Short cord and
plug makes it easy to handle.

That occurred to me but if I leave enough wire for the washer to be
pulled out for service, that should be OK I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2014 7:23 PM, philo wrote:
On 11/17/2014 06:17 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:21:26 -0600, philo wrote:

A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

Certainly. You have water at the unit.

Kitchens require a GFCI in modern times?

I was pretty sure. Thanks for the confirmation.

This should not be too bad, the wall has been partially removed and it's
only about 12 feet from the breaker box.

Will p/u two GFC breakers tomorrow

It's been years, but I've found GFCI breakers are
far more expensive than GFCI socket. I'd consider a
GFCI socket and short cord, as mentioned.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:21:26 -0600, philo* wrote:

A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

To be odd man out, my house used 1979 rules, but I have separate
breakers for the D\W. the washer, and the disposale, and none are GFC.

The kitchen, bathroom, and outdoor receptacles are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2014 07:03 PM, micky wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:21:26 -0600, philo wrote:

A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

To be odd man out, my house used 1979 rules, but I have separate
breakers for the D\W. the washer, and the disposale, and none are GFC.

The kitchen, bathroom, and outdoor receptacles are.

I'm going with the present code
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2014 8:03 PM, micky wrote:
To be odd man out, my house used 1979 rules, but I have separate
breakers for the D\W. the washer, and the disposale, and none are GFC.

The kitchen, bathroom, and outdoor receptacles are.

You should use 1967 rules, and give up about
2/3 of your house to Palestine. You'll love
em! Really knock you dead. A real blast.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2014 8:05 PM, philo wrote:
To be odd man out, my house used 1979 rules, but I have separate
breakers for the D\W. the washer, and the disposale, and none are GFC.

The kitchen, bathroom, and outdoor receptacles are.

I'm going with the present code

You might get sentenced to jail in 1979....

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2014 6:41 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/17/2014 7:23 PM, philo wrote:

[snip]

This should not be too bad, the wall has been partially removed and it's
only about 12 feet from the breaker box.

Will p/u two GFC breakers tomorrow

It's been years, but I've found GFCI breakers are
far more expensive than GFCI socket. I'd consider a
GFCI socket and short cord, as mentioned.

Depends on the load of course but I agree about the GFCI outlet being
the cheaper route to go. Consider also, that if you have access to the
wall and outlet box, you could tie in there with a BX or Romex pig tail
to the DW or the Disposal. Everything downwind of the GFCI is protected
as well.

That's another nice feature of the cheaper CFCI outlets... install in
the first outlet in that circuit in the kitchen or bath and the others
that follow can be the normal outlets. Only thing you need to consider
is the total load on that circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's been years, but I've found GFCI breakers are
far more expensive than GFCI socket. I'd consider a
GFCI socket and short cord, as mentioned.

Depends on the load of course but I agree about the GFCI outlet being
the cheaper route to go. Consider also, that if you have access to the
wall and outlet box, you could tie in there with a BX or Romex pig tail
to the DW or the Disposal. Everything downwind of the GFCI is protected
as well.

That's another nice feature of the cheaper CFCI outlets... install in
the first outlet in that circuit in the kitchen or bath and the others
that follow can be the normal outlets. Only thing you need to consider
is the total load on that circuit.

Now, that sounds like the voice of experience.

Nothing like a RX pt down from the GFCI, KWIM?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/17/2014 6:21 PM, philo wrote:
A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

Something to consider. If you hard wire, they have to be disconnected if
moved out for service. I put a receptacle under the sink Short cord and
plug makes it easy to handle.

Hi,
Both are installed with plugs in our kitchen too. The possibility is
both having inductive load(motors) it can falsely trigger GFCI sensor
and shut the unit specially when starting. Like wise fridge is not on
GFCI.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 19:05:35 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 11/17/2014 07:03 PM, micky wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:21:26 -0600, philo wrote:

A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

To be odd man out, my house used 1979 rules, but I have separate
breakers for the D\W. the washer, and the disposale, and none are GFC.

The kitchen, bathroom, and outdoor receptacles are.

I'm going with the present code

You're call. (Has it changed?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 17, 2014 6:21:32 PM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

*2014 National Electrical Code requires that the dishwasher be GFI protected (210.8(D). You can install a GFI outlet under the counter for this, but it must be reasonably accessible for servicing.

There is no requirement that the garbage disposal be GFI protected. If it is plugged into an outlet under the counter instead of being hardwired, the outlet would need to be GFI (210.8(A)(7).

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2014 08:51 PM, John G wrote:
On Monday, November 17, 2014 6:21:32 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

*2014 National Electrical Code requires that the dishwasher be GFI protected (210.8(D). You can install a GFI outlet under the counter for this, but it must be reasonably accessible for servicing.

There is no requirement that the garbage disposal be GFI protected. If it is plugged into an outlet under the counter instead of being hardwired, the outlet would need to be GFI (210.8(A)(7).

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

The more I think about this I realize that since both units will have
water in them that it makes sense to put on a GFI breaker. (even if not
needed for the disposal)

I plan to do this by direct wiring and not by the use of receptacles.

Originally I was thinking of running two, 15 amp circuits
but think a single 20 Amp should suffice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 21:15:58 -0600, philo* wrote:

Originally I was thinking of running two, 15 amp circuits
but think a single 20 Amp should suffice.

Here in NYC they have to be on dedicated circuits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Two separate circuits seems unreasonable, since you rarely would be starting to use the disposal at the exact same time as the dishwasher motor is starting up. The outlet route with a short cord and plug is definitely the way togo for ease of current use and future repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

*2014 National Electrical Code requires that the dishwasher be GFI protected (210.8(D). You can install a GFI outlet under the counter for this, but it must be reasonably accessible for servicing.

There is no requirement that the garbage disposal be GFI protected. If it is plugged into an outlet under the counter instead of being hardwired, the outlet would need to be GFI (210.8(A)(7).

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

2014? Eeek!
We are still waiting until they decide when the 11 will be approved.

*New Jersey should have the 2014 adopted by January. I had my mandatory 2014 code update class last February.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2014 07:41 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

snip

Thanks

Also, not that the codes are real strict here in western NC, neither the
DW or disposal have any type ground fault protection, other than a hard
wired ground. The house was built 5 years ago. It does have arc fault
detection for the bedrooms, though, plus GFCIs for all kitchen, bath,
unfinished basement, and exterior outlets. Also, you'd never want any
protectors on the fridge or freezer for obvious reasons.

Thanks to you and everyone for the advice

I'll soon be heading out to get parts.

After I finally brought my own house up to code I see that I've used up
most of my electrical supplies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2014 05:56 AM, John G wrote:

A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

*2014 National Electrical Code requires that the dishwasher be GFI protected (210.8(D). You can install a GFI outlet under the counter for this, but it must be reasonably accessible for servicing.

There is no requirement that the garbage disposal be GFI protected. If it is plugged into an outlet under the counter instead of being hardwired, the outlet would need to be GFI (210.8(A)(7).

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

2014? Eeek!
We are still waiting until they decide when the 11 will be approved.

*New Jersey should have the 2014 adopted by January. I had my mandatory 2014 code update class last February.

Well, one problem solved.

Went to two suppliers and could not find an Eaton/Cutler Hammer GFCI
breaker so will use the GFCI outlet method.

Will be better when the need arises for removing the washer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

=?windows-1252?Q?philo=A0?= writes:
[...]

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-20-...GFCS/100210432
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2014 12:04 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
=?windows-1252?Q?philo=A0?= writes:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-20-...GFCS/100210432

yep, I went to Home Depot's website and that's the one I found...
only the closest Home Depot to my house no longer carries any Cutler
Hammer products.

Considering the price, it was cheaper to just get a standard breaker
(elsewhere) and a GFCI outlet.

Plus as was mentioned...the dishwasher can just be unplugged if it needs
to be pulled out and worked on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 21:34:08 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Two separate circuits seems unreasonable, since you rarely would be starting to use the disposal at the exact same time as the dishwasher motor is starting up. The outlet route with a short cord and plug is definitely the way togo for ease of current use and future repairs.

I don't know why that would be -- I'm often cleaning the dishes,
and start the dishwasher, I either continue washing pots and pans, or
realize I didn't run the disposal and need to before the dishwasher
starts draining, so I run it then, right as the dishwasher is cycling.
I can't be the only one.

Having said that, our current 1955 house has the dishwasher, disposal,
all of the counter outlets and many of the lights on the same circuit.
But that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Josh
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Two separate circuits seems unreasonable, since you rarely would be starting to use the disposal at the exact same time as the dishwasher motor is starting up. The outlet route with a short cord and plug is definitely the way togo for ease of current use and future repairs.

I don't know why that would be -- I'm often cleaning the dishes,
and start the dishwasher, I either continue washing pots and pans, or
realize I didn't run the disposal and need to before the dishwasher
starts draining, so I run it then, right as the dishwasher is cycling.
I can't be the only one.

Having said that, our current 1955 house has the dishwasher, disposal,
all of the counter outlets and many of the lights on the same circuit.
But that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Josh

Since the garbage disposal usually just runs a few seconds, it's not
likely to cause a problem. I suppose that if something lodged in it and
it locked up, it could draw a bit of current though.

In my own house I have neither garbage disposal or dish washer...
however I did re-wire the kitchen so that the coffee maker, microwave
and toaster are all on their own circuits. Even two on the same circuit
would very likely be an over-load or close to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That GFCI on the dish washer is a new requirement in the 2014 code.

Just curious: so dishwashers have been installed without GFCI for 60
or so years. Now they need to have GFCI. What has changed to require
the code intrusion? Are a lot of people suddenly getting electrocuted
or have a lot of people always been getting electrocuted and the code
writers just deciding to do something about it?

Or were the code writers just bored this year?

*The explanation given in my code class (If I remember correctly) was that the controls for dishwashers are becoming more and more electronic and less and less mechanical. The electronic components insulating ability breaks down over time and current can leak to the metal frame thereby creating a shock hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Two separate circuits seems unreasonable, since you rarely would be starting to use the disposal at the exact same time as the dishwasher motor is starting up. The outlet route with a short cord and plug is definitely the way togo for ease of current use and future repairs.

I don't know why that would be -- I'm often cleaning the dishes,
and start the dishwasher, I either continue washing pots and pans, or
realize I didn't run the disposal and need to before the dishwasher
starts draining, so I run it then, right as the dishwasher is cycling.
I can't be the only one.

Having said that, our current 1955 house has the dishwasher, disposal,
all of the counter outlets and many of the lights on the same circuit.
But that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Josh

Hmm,
In our kitchen DW and disposal unit is on different circuit. Fridge, MW
also. All counter top duplex outlets are independent, each fed by
different circuit, lighting is all pot LEDs on dimmer. Sub panel for
kitchen is located on the pantry wall. Never had problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message
On 11/18/2014 12:04 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
=?windows-1252?Q?philo=A0?= writes:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-20-...GFCS/100210432

yep, I went to Home Depot's website and that's the one I found...
only the closest Home Depot to my house no longer carries any Cutler
Hammer products.

Considering the price, it was cheaper to just get a standard breaker
(elsewhere) and a GFCI outlet.

Plus as was mentioned...the dishwasher can just be unplugged if it needs
to be pulled out and worked on.

I am curious where the GFCI outlet for the dishwasher will be located --
maybe in a cabinet space next to the dishwasher? -- similar to how an
over-the-range microwave outlet is often located in a cabinet space above
the microwave? I am assuming that the dishwasher GFCI outlet would need to
be located someplace where it could be reset if it trips without having to
pull the dishwasher out first to reset the GFCI.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2014 08:33 PM, TomR wrote:

snip

I am curious where the GFCI outlet for the dishwasher will be located --
maybe in a cabinet space next to the dishwasher? -- similar to how an
over-the-range microwave outlet is often located in a cabinet space
above the microwave? I am assuming that the dishwasher GFCI outlet
would need to be located someplace where it could be reset if it trips
without having to pull the dishwasher out first to reset the GFCI.

I am going to put the outlet in the cabinet under the sink. It will be
easy to access in the event it trips. The home owner will of course be
informed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:13:01 PM UTC-5, John G wrote:
That GFCI on the dish washer is a new requirement in the 2014 code.

Just curious: so dishwashers have been installed without GFCI for 60
or so years. Now they need to have GFCI. What has changed to require
the code intrusion? Are a lot of people suddenly getting electrocuted
or have a lot of people always been getting electrocuted and the code
writers just deciding to do something about it?

Or were the code writers just bored this year?

*The explanation given in my code class (If I remember correctly) was that the controls for dishwashers are becoming more and more electronic and less and less mechanical. The electronic components insulating ability breaks down over time and current can leak to the metal frame thereby creating a shock hazard.

It's not much of a shock hazard if the metal frame is grounded, which has been
a code requirement for a very long time. The poster raises a good question..
It would be interesting to see if they have any real world data that justifies
making this GFCI or if they have no data to back it up.

Garbage disposal JIMMIE Home Repair 1 December 28th 09 10:33 PM
Garbage disposal professorpaul Home Repair 7 October 21st 07 04:15 PM
Garbage disposal Freckles[_2_] Home Repair 8 August 4th 07 04:53 AM
Garbage disposal KRusso6984 Home Repair 7 February 14th 04 07:16 PM
garbage disposal badgolferman Home Repair 1 August 31st 03 06:41 AM