Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Dish washer and garbage disposal

On 11/17/2014 08:51 PM, John G wrote:
On Monday, November 17, 2014 6:21:32 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
A friend is remodeling and wanted me to wire-in a garbage disposal and
dish washer.

May I assume both should be on a GFC breaker?

*2014 National Electrical Code requires that the dishwasher be GFI protected (210.8(D). You can install a GFI outlet under the counter for this, but it must be reasonably accessible for servicing.

There is no requirement that the garbage disposal be GFI protected. If it is plugged into an outlet under the counter instead of being hardwired, the outlet would need to be GFI (210.8(A)(7).

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

The more I think about this I realize that since both units will have
water in them that it makes sense to put on a GFI breaker. (even if not
needed for the disposal)

I plan to do this by direct wiring and not by the use of receptacles.

Originally I was thinking of running two, 15 amp circuits
but think a single 20 Amp should suffice.