Posted to alt.home.repair

Default where to buy a shelf?

Damn! Need one shelf 14.5" Deep x 18.5" Wide. Nominal 1" so 3/4" thick. For replacemeant shelf for an entertainment center as a temp measure until the whole thing can be replaced.

figured *good* lumberyard would have something. Would prefer painted wood but would even take black melamine.

I swear the guy was actually *happy* that he couldn't help me.. Maybe my natural douchebaggery came out, but I thought I was being rather cordial and pleasant. Anyway I was annoyed by the time I left and I was only there for 5 minutes or so.

I know better than to ask at HD or Lowe's.

so is there somewhere I could mail order precut cheap shelving? Or anyone know of a lumberyard in NoVA (besides Tart in Sterling)
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/04/2014 2:25 PM, N8N wrote:
Damn! Need one shelf 14.5" Deep x 18.5" Wide. Nominal 1" so 3/4"
thick. ...

figured *good* lumberyard would have something. Would prefer painted
wood but would even take black melamine.

so is there somewhere I could mail order precut cheap shelving? Or
anyone know of a lumberyard in NoVA (besides Tart in Sterling)

You're not going to find such dimensions precut -- it would take a glued
up solid wood panel and wider than 12" there is exceedingly rare.

Sheet goods come in basically 4x8 sheets altho you can find ply in 2x4
cutoffs.

"Cheap" and "precut" aren't going to go in the same sentence...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:25:11 PM UTC-8, N8N wrote:
Damn! Need one shelf 14.5" Deep x 18.5" Wide. Nominal 1" so 3/4" thick. For replacemeant shelf for an entertainment center as a temp measure until the whole thing can be replaced.

figured *good* lumberyard would have something. Would prefer painted wood but would even take black melamine.

I swear the guy was actually *happy* that he couldn't help me.. Maybe my natural douchebaggery came out, but I thought I was being rather cordial and pleasant. Anyway I was annoyed by the time I left and I was only there for 5 minutes or so.

I know better than to ask at HD or Lowe's.

so is there somewhere I could mail order precut cheap shelving? Or anyone know of a lumberyard in NoVA (besides Tart in Sterling)

Buy two pieces of what looks good to you and rip one to make up the width. It will be unnoticeable once in place. BTDT

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/04/2014 12:25 PM, N8N wrote:
Damn! Need one shelf 14.5" Deep x 18.5" Wide. Nominal 1" so 3/4"
thick. For replacemeant shelf for an entertainment center as a temp
measure until the whole thing can be replaced.

figured *good* lumberyard would have something. Would prefer painted
wood but would even take black melamine.

I swear the guy was actually *happy* that he couldn't help me.. Maybe
my natural douchebaggery came out, but I thought I was being rather
cordial and pleasant. Anyway I was annoyed by the time I left and I
was only there for 5 minutes or so.

I know better than to ask at HD or Lowe's.

so is there somewhere I could mail order precut cheap shelving? Or
anyone know of a lumberyard in NoVA (besides Tart in Sterling)

Grab a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood and cut it to the dimensions you
seek. If you want to get fancy, buy some iron-on veneer edging
(banding) to cover the ends, then trim with a razor knife.

If you some kind of weirdo who doesn't have a scrap piece of plywood
laying about, you can go to the despot and buy a piece of 24"x24" or
24"x48" plywood; they will even cut it for you if you are a lazy bum.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message

Damn! Need one shelf 14.5" Deep x 18.5" Wide. Nominal 1" so 3/4" thick.
For replacemeant shelf for an entertainment center as a temp measure until
the whole thing can be replaced.

figured *good* lumberyard would have something. Would prefer painted wood
but would even take black melamine.

I swear the guy was actually *happy* that he couldn't help me..

No good lumberyard sells prefinished materials.

so is there somewhere I could mail order precut cheap shelving?

Those of us without tools to cut plywood accurately to fit (and
then cover the shelf with fabric or preglued plastic) find it
usually cheaper to employ a local carpenter than to try
to buy by mail. This way you pay only for what fits your
specifications.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken writes:

If you some kind of weirdo who doesn't have a scrap piece of plywood
laying about, you can go to the despot and buy a piece of 24"x24" or
24"x48" plywood; they will even cut it for you if you are a lazy bum.

Last time I was in HD, the saws were locked.
An employee unlocked it, but still wouldn't let me use it.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/04/2014 03:18 PM, Dan Espen wrote: Jon Danniken
writes:

If you some kind of weirdo who doesn't have a scrap piece of plywood
laying about, you can go to the despot and buy a piece of 24"x24" or
24"x48" plywood; they will even cut it for you if you are a lazy bum.

Last time I was in HD, the saws were locked.
An employee unlocked it, but still wouldn't let me use it.

Well of course not, do you honestly expect a store to provide power
tools for customers to use inside the store? Think about it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/04/2014 02:25 PM, N8N wrote:
Damn! Need one shelf 14.5" Deep x 18.5" Wide. Nominal 1" so 3/4" thick. For replacemeant shelf for an entertainment center as a temp measure until the whole thing can be replaced.

figured *good* lumberyard would have something. Would prefer painted wood but would even take black melamine.

I swear the guy was actually *happy* that he couldn't help me.. Maybe my natural douchebaggery came out, but I thought I was being rather cordial and pleasant. Anyway I was annoyed by the time I left and I was only there for 5 minutes or so.

I know better than to ask at HD or Lowe's.

so is there somewhere I could mail order precut cheap shelving? Or anyone know of a lumberyard in NoVA (besides Tart in Sterling)

I thought you were just going to cut down the piece you had.

Since the TV will be sitting on top and the shelf really won't show, it
hardly needs to be a major undertaking.

I don't know where you live, but whenever I need a shelf for anything I
usually don't have to go down the alley more than a block before I find
something decent one of the neighbors pitched out.

Of course you can always do what I did:

I threw out my TV 25 years ago and never missed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:18:10 PM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
[...]

It's not for me, trying to put something together for a friend without forcing her to buy a new entertainment center.

I just figured that someone would have some kind of shelving premade so I'd only have to make two cuts and done... but it looks like not. ISTR melamine shelving being available in both white and black and that would be acceptable for this application but I can only seem to find white calling around..

Probably will have to go with the idea of 3/4" furniture grade ply and then paint it, although this is a LOT more work than I was hoping to do. Was really hoping to find something already black so I wouldn't have to do veneer, paint, etc...

This is an adjustable shelf that sits on shelf pins, so unless a biscuit joiner drops into my lap right away I won't be gluing up two pieces of one-by although that would be the more aesthetically appealing solution.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

If you some kind of weirdo who doesn't have a scrap piece of plywood
laying about, you can go to the despot and buy a piece of 24"x24" or
24"x48" plywood; they will even cut it for you if you are a lazy bum.

Last time I was in HD, the saws were locked.
An employee unlocked it, but still wouldn't let me use it.

Well of course not, do you honestly expect a store to provide power
tools for customers to use inside the store? Think about it.

Their insurance company must have taken a walk around the store
and had a heart attack.

They let customers cut for years.
Well, at least this customer.

I can see the problem with allowing anyone to use power tools,
but I liked going in and cutting what I needed.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/04/2014 06:45 PM, N8N wrote:

[...]

Time is money and it looks like you've wasted a lot of time already.

A quick Google search shows a new on at Target for about $60

It'll look better than home made and only cost a few bucks more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:

Grab a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood and cut it to the dimensions you
seek. If you want to get fancy, buy some iron-on veneer edging
(banding) to cover the ends, then trim with a razor knife.

That's the upscale solution. If I wanted to get fancy I'd just wrap it in
wood grain contact paper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2014 3:25 PM, N8N wrote:
Damn! Need one shelf 14.5" Deep x 18.5" Wide. Nominal 1" so 3/4" thick. For replacemeant shelf for an entertainment center as a temp measure until the whole thing can be replaced.

figured *good* lumberyard would have something. Would prefer painted wood but would even take black melamine.

I swear the guy was actually *happy* that he couldn't help me.. Maybe my natural douchebaggery came out, but I thought I was being rather cordial and pleasant. Anyway I was annoyed by the time I left and I was only there for 5 minutes or so.

I know better than to ask at HD or Lowe's.

Know anyone that owns a saw? Buy a 2 x 4 piece of p;ywood or MDF and
ask them to cut it. Then sit back with him and kill a
the six-pack you brought with you.

HD & Lowes will do cuts for a charge but they do no guarantee accuracy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message

Probably will have to go with the idea of 3/4" furniture grade ply and
then paint it, although this is a LOT more work than I was hoping to do.
Was really hoping to find something already black so I wouldn't have to
do veneer, paint, etc...

If HD/Lowes doesn't have black melamine board in stock they will order a
sheet for you. They'll even cut it to the dimensions desired but have
them cut it 1/4" oversize so you can trim the chipped edges with a router.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Know anyone that owns a saw? Buy a 2 x 4 piece of p;ywood or MDF and
ask them to cut it. Then sit back with him and kill a
the six-pack you brought with you.

Or while you're buying the plywood spend another $10-$15 for a Stanley
SharpTooth. I have good crosscut and rip saws but if I want something cut to
size fast I grab the little Stanley. Many of my trips to the lumberyard
involve reducing things to Toyota sized pieces in the parking lot and that
saw gets the job done fast. If you're careful it will leave a smoother cut
that you would expect from the tooth pattern and set.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Birch plywood at Lowes, 2' x 2' x 3/4", $9.28 locally.

I bet they'd cut it to size for another $1. Or grab your jig saw. I've done it with a coping saw when necessary.

There's probably cheaper stuff out there but this will work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

If you some kind of weirdo who doesn't have a scrap piece of plywood
laying about, you can go to the despot and buy a piece of 24"x24" or
24"x48" plywood; they will even cut it for you if you are a lazy bum.

Last time I was in HD, the saws were locked.
An employee unlocked it, but still wouldn't let me use it.

Well of course not, do you honestly expect a store to provide power
tools for customers to use inside the store? Think about it.

Not in this situaiton, certainly not.

But Terry Gross replayed Tom Magliozzi yesterday and he said in all the
years their DIY garage was open, no one hurt himself, even though there
were some complete morons (my word). He thought this was amazing.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 18:55:20 -0700, rbowman wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:

Grab a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood and cut it to the dimensions you
seek. If you want to get fancy, buy some iron-on veneer edging
(banding) to cover the ends, then trim with a razor knife.

That's the upscale solution. If I wanted to get fancy I'd just wrap it in
wood grain contact paper.

I'd just by a board and cut it to the right dimensions and paint it
black on all sides. If it ever sags, and it's too short too sag, flip
it over.

Do they sell boards 14.5" deep or more?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2014 2:25 PM, N8N wrote:
Damn! Need one shelf 14.5" Deep x 18.5" Wide. Nominal 1" so 3/4" thick. For replacemeant shelf for an entertainment center as a temp measure until the whole thing can be replaced.

figured *good* lumberyard would have something. Would prefer painted wood but would even take black melamine.

I swear the guy was actually *happy* that he couldn't help me.. Maybe my natural douchebaggery came out, but I thought I was being rather cordial and pleasant. Anyway I was annoyed by the time I left and I was only there for 5 minutes or so.

I know better than to ask at HD or Lowe's.

Why not go to HD or Lowes they both no doubt have what you want. Lowes
has 48" by 16" melamine boards at http://tinyurl.com/plw7u9u . Just chop
of an 18.5" piece, rip it to 14.5", and then spray paint it black. If
you have a Menards near you they have it even cheaper and they are
bull-nosed.

In short, for under $20 you can have a good looking shelf with enough
left over that you can afford to screw one up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:

Grab a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood and cut it to the dimensions you
seek. If you want to get fancy, buy some iron-on veneer edging
(banding) to cover the ends, then trim with a razor knife.

That's the upscale solution. If I wanted to get fancy I'd just wrap it in
wood grain contact paper.

I'd just by a board and cut it to the right dimensions and paint it
black on all sides. If it ever sags, and it's too short too sag, flip
it over.

Do they sell boards 14.5" deep or more?

I haven't seen any locally wider than 12" nominal...

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:

Grab a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood and cut it to the dimensions you
seek. If you want to get fancy, buy some iron-on veneer edging
(banding) to cover the ends, then trim with a razor knife.

That's the upscale solution. If I wanted to get fancy I'd just wrap it in
wood grain contact paper.

I'd just by a board and cut it to the right dimensions and paint it
black on all sides. If it ever sags, and it's too short too sag, flip
it over.

Do they sell boards 14.5" deep or more?

I haven't seen any locally wider than 12" nominal...

nate

That's a problem then. Although they do sell, somewhere, corrugated
"nails". For just this purpose to join boards side by side. You
probably know what I mean. They're almost an inch long, wavy, have
points at the bottom of each wave, and the grooves that make up the wave
lean towards the center. Those on the left lean towards the right and
vice versa, so that when you hammer them in, they pull the two boards
towards each other. 3 or 4 of them would be enough and they can go
not at the very end, but where they won't be seen. If they can be
set in, a heavy coat of the same paint used for the wood may hide them
completely.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/5-x-3-8-i...8334/202105582
Only $1.30 for 20!

Better than those plates with 30 or 100 nail-like projection bent out
of the plate, like are used to put pre-made trusses together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

If you some kind of weirdo who doesn't have a scrap piece of plywood
laying about, you can go to the despot and buy a piece of 24"x24" or
24"x48" plywood; they will even cut it for you if you are a lazy bum.

Last time I was in HD, the saws were locked.
An employee unlocked it, but still wouldn't let me use it.

Well of course not, do you honestly expect a store to provide power
tools for customers to use inside the store? Think about it.

Their insurance company must have taken a walk around the store
and had a heart attack.

They let customers cut for years.
Well, at least this customer.

I can see the problem with allowing anyone to use power tools,
but I liked going in and cutting what I needed.

I like going in next to a group in the appliance dept, and cutting the
cheese. Then I walk away.

BIT SHELF J T Woodworking 0 May 13th 07 01:56 AM
help converting a (adjustable) shelf into a pull out shelf harsh Woodworking 2 June 13th 06 09:59 PM
BOW SHELF J T Woodworking 0 February 27th 06 03:29 PM
This Old Shelf? Tom Watson Woodworking 4 May 2nd 05 04:09 AM
Shelf barry martin Home Repair 0 May 4th 04 07:10 PM