Posted to alt.home.repair
Sky Sky is offline

Default Dripping kitchen faucet

Please be nice, y'all The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic
drip, which isn't good for my water bill (duh!) I know it's an easy
remedy to fix with wrenches (no, I didn't type "wench"!). Problem is, I
easily get "backwards" - OK, call me dyslexic, maybe?! To tighten the
darn faucet, is it opposite the usual "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"?

TIA and more. Yeah-yeah, I can look at Google and YouTube, but I'd
rather ask here. Bicycle peddles are NOT righty-tighty ;P

Sky

PS. I know left from right - but don't take my "word" for it - just go
the way I point! VBG!

PPS. I have the appropriate tools and know how to use them :

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 03:39:47 -0500, Sky
wrote:

Please be nice, y'all The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic
drip, which isn't good for my water bill (duh!) I know it's an easy
remedy to fix with wrenches (no, I didn't type "wench"!). Problem is, I
easily get "backwards" - OK, call me dyslexic, maybe?! To tighten the
darn faucet, is it opposite the usual "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"?

TIA and more. Yeah-yeah, I can look at Google and YouTube, but I'd
rather ask here. Bicycle peddles are NOT righty-tighty ;P

Sky

PS. I know left from right - but don't take my "word" for it - just go
the way I point! VBG!

PPS. I have the appropriate tools and know how to use them :

It is the usual righty-tighty, but it is often a cartridge or cups
that need replacing. I assume you have the proper kit since you did
not ask what is needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sky,

Right-handed threads are really common. To tighten them turn them
clockwise. Your bonnet nuts are certainly righthanded. Note that the stems
may not be since hot and cold taps turn in different directions.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/14, 4:39 AM, Sky wrote:
Please be nice, y'all The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic
drip, which isn't good for my water bill (duh!) I know it's an easy
remedy to fix with wrenches (no, I didn't type "wench"!). Problem is, I
easily get "backwards" - OK, call me dyslexic, maybe?! To tighten the
darn faucet, is it opposite the usual "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"?

In plumbing, it's righty-coldy, lefty-hotty. If you determine whether
the drips are hot or cold, you'll know which to turn, and you won't need
a wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2014 4:39 AM, Sky wrote:
Please be nice, y'all The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic
drip, which isn't good for my water bill (duh!) I know it's an easy
remedy to fix with wrenches (no, I didn't type "wench"!). Problem is, I
easily get "backwards" - OK, call me dyslexic, maybe?! To tighten the
darn faucet, is it opposite the usual "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"?

TIA and more. Yeah-yeah, I can look at Google and YouTube, but I'd
rather ask here. Bicycle peddles are NOT righty-tighty ;P

Sky

PS. I know left from right - but don't take my "word" for it - just go
the way I point! VBG!

PPS. I have the appropriate tools and know how to use them :

Some kitchen faucets use faucet washers, which
can be replaced. Others use cartridges, or other
technology. Do you have shut offs under the sink,
or do you have to shut off the entire house?

The bicycles I've worked on, one pedal is right,
other is left.

Please tell us more about your kitchen faucet.
One handle or two? Any known brands?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm assuming you're talking about supply fittings
and not faucet direction. I've never seen anything
that doesn't tighten clockwise except some propane
fittings. If the link is underneath and you have hoses
you might want to just replace them, especially if
they're the old plastic type. Those sometimes burst.

"Sky" wrote in message
| Please be nice, y'all The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic
| drip, which isn't good for my water bill (duh!) I know it's an easy
| remedy to fix with wrenches (no, I didn't type "wench"!). Problem is, I
| easily get "backwards" - OK, call me dyslexic, maybe?! To tighten the
| darn faucet, is it opposite the usual "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"?
|
| TIA and more. Yeah-yeah, I can look at Google and YouTube, but I'd
| rather ask here. Bicycle peddles are NOT righty-tighty ;P
|
| Sky
|
| PS. I know left from right - but don't take my "word" for it - just go
| the way I point! VBG!
|
| PPS. I have the appropriate tools and know how to use them :

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic
drip,... Problem is, I easily get "backwards"... To tighten the darn
faucet, is it opposite the usual "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"?
Sky:

You didn't specify if the dripping faucet is a single handle faucet or a two handle faucet. The responses you got all seem to have assumed it's a two handle faucet, so I'll presume the same. Maybe clarify this point in your next response, and let us know who made the faucet. That is, is it a Moen, a Delta, an American Standard, a Waltec or who, if you can find the manufacturer's name on the faucet anywhere.

There are some statements in the responses you got that you might find confusing:

1.
Quote:
Right-handed threads are really common. To tighten them turn them clockwise. Your bonnet nuts are certainly righthanded. Note that the stems may not be since hot and cold taps turn in different directions.
Right hand threads are "common"? Right hand threads are pretty well the standard. You can count the number of left hand threads you're likely to encounter in your life on the fingers of one hand. The fingers of two hands if you're a Maytag washing machine repairman. So far as I know, the only left hand thread you'll ever encounter in plumbing work is found on the trip lever of toilet tanks. So, when it comes to replacing a faucet cartridge, you always remove the cartridge by turning it counter clockwise when viewed from above, and installing it is the opposite; turn clockwise when viewed from above. So, righty-tighty, lefty loosy applies here too. But, and as mentioned, on a lot of faucets the knobs turn in opposite directions to allow water to flow or to shut the water off, but you still remove both hot and cold cartridges from the faucet by turning them counter clockwise when viewed from above.

2.
Quote:
In plumbing, it's righty-coldy, lefty-hotty. If you determine whether
the drips are hot or cold, you'll know which to turn, and you won't need
a wrench
What's meant by that first statement is that on faucets, it's the left handle that controls the hot water and the right handle that controls the cold water. On a single lever faucet, moving the lever to the left controls the hot water and moving it to the right controls the cold water flow. The poster is saying that by feeling the temperature of the dripping water, you can tell whether it's the hot or cold water cartridge that's leaking. And, yes, you will need a wrench or some other tool to turn the hot or cold water cartridge to remove it from the faucet and fix the drip.

3.
Quote:
Some kitchen faucets use faucet washers, which can be replaced. Others use cartridges, or other technology.
So far as I know, the mechanism that turns the water on or off in ANY faucet is referred to as a "cartridge". Older faucets had cartridges that used a rubber disk (called a "washer") that moved toward or away from a bronze "seat" to control the water flow. Newer faucets use other methods of controlling the water flow, like the 1225 "CARTRIDGE" in Moen single lever faucets and the ceramic disk CARTRIDGE in American Standard faucets. So. it's not incorrect to refer to the control mechanism in any single or two handle faucet as a "cartridge" regardless of how it actually operates to control the water flow.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by nestork : October 16th 14 at 04:07 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sky wrote: the way I point! VBG!

PPS. I have the appropriate tools and know how to use them :

Hello,
Then use the tool and figure it out. You learn by doing, not asking.
Good luck.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hwang View Post
Then use the tool and figure it out. You learn by doing, not asking.
Good luck.
You learn by doing. But you avoid making mistakes and screwing things up by asking questions before doing and during doing and even after doing sometimes.

Let he who never asked how to do something cast the first stone.

Last edited by nestork : October 16th 14 at 08:19 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 20:21:53 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Then use the tool and figure it out. You learn by doing, not asking.
Good luck.

You learn by doing. But you avoid making mistakes and screwing things
up by asking questions before doing.

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I
learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 09:34:05 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Then use the tool and figure it out. You learn by doing, not asking.

"We are the unwilling... led by the unqualified...
to do the unnecessary... for the ungrateful..."
-- GI in Vietnam, 1970

"We the unwilling led by the unknowing are doing the
impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so
little for so long that we are now capable of doing
practically anything with virtually nothing.
-- The Metro Para pledge
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic
drip, which isn't good for my water bill

_How To Fix Seven Types Of Leaky Faucets_

http://wetheadmedia.com/how-to-fix-seven-types-of-leaky-faucets/

Or https://tinyurl.com/ompl7sj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 22:26:55 +0200, nestork
wrote:

You learn by doing. But you avoid making mistakes and screwing things
up by asking questions before doing.-

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I
learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin

Good to know that Ben Franklin was a DIY'er.

He also liked French girls for some reason. Needing French money in
our Revolution. He done good, got what he wanted on both sides of the
fence
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren[_2_] View Post
He also liked French girls for some reason. Needing French money in
our Revolution. He done good, got what he wanted on both sides of the
fence
That's my understanding as well. Washington needed money and arms to fight off the English and he sent Benjamin Franklin as an emmisary to sweettalk the French into supporting the Colonies in their revolution. The French have had lots of wars with the British over the ages, and were willing to supply the colonies with arms to fight off the British, mostly just to annoy them. By all accounts, Benjamin Franklin was quite the ladies man. And, his being a well rounded scholar and scientist, he was an interesting person for anyone to talk to. Washington chose his emmisary well.

Last edited by nestork : October 17th 14 at 12:48 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:kaa04aluohg8b932daa0e124lsfgd5hh2d@
4ax.com:

wrote:

The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic
drip, which isn't good for my water bill

_How To Fix Seven Types Of Leaky Faucets_

http://wetheadmedia.com/how-to-fix-seven-types-of-leaky-faucets/

Or https://tinyurl.com/ompl7sj

Someone somewhere told me to turn the faucet that drips on and off
several times hard and rapidly. I do it about 30 or 40 times. Works for
me.I have no idea why. This assumes no washers in the faucet that can be
replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic
drip, which isn't good for my water bill

_How To Fix Seven Types Of Leaky Faucets_

http://wetheadmedia.com/how-to-fix-seven-types-of-leaky-faucets/

Or https://tinyurl.com/ompl7sj

Someone somewhere told me to turn the faucet that drips on and off
several times hard and rapidly. I do it about 30 or 40 times. Works for
me.I have no idea why. This assumes no washers in the faucet that can be
replaced.

I'd be curious if that flushes out a grain of sand or other debris
which may cause the leak?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2014 2:15 PM, KenK wrote:

Someone somewhere told me to turn the faucet that drips on and off
several times hard and rapidly. I do it about 30 or 40 times. Works for
me.I have no idea why. This assumes no washers in the faucet that can be
replaced.

Some faucet cartridges get sand and sediment in them.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Senior Member

I believe most faucet leaks are due to dirt and stuff in the water.

In my neighborhood, the City ran some kind of plastic pipe through the existing water supply lines, and now it's comparatively rare for me to have to fix a leaking faucet. I used to be fixing leaking faucets all the time.

KenK said:
Quote:
Someone somewhere told me to turn the faucet that drips on and off
several times hard and rapidly. I do it about 30 or 40 times. Works for
me.I have no idea why. This assumes no washers in the faucet that can be
replaced.
Ken, I would take the aerator off the faucet spout when you're doing that. The aerator on the faucet greatly reduces the flow rate through it, and so opening and closing the faucet quickly should be more effective at flushing dirt out of the cartridge with the aerator off. Also, having the aerator off ensures that whatever you do flush out of the cartridge gets out of the faucet completely, and not trapped in the aerator screen.

Last edited by nestork : October 17th 14 at 09:30 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 06:49:10 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Sky,

Right-handed threads are really common. To tighten them turn them
clockwise.

Between the ages of 8 and 15, I was really annoyed that they called them
right handed. Is the top of it going to the right, or the bottom of it,
I would ask myself.

I finally got over that, but it's good that you use the term clockwise,
which is much clearer. Really, it is. At least if someone is over
40. ;-)

Your bonnet nuts are certainly righthanded. Note that the stems
may not be since hot and cold taps turn in different directions.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sky,

Right-handed threads are really common. To tighten them turn them
clockwise.

Between the ages of 8 and 15, I was really annoyed that they called them
right handed. Is the top of it going to the right, or the bottom of it,
I would ask myself.

I finally got over that, but it's good that you use the term clockwise,
which is much clearer. Really, it is. At least if someone is over
40. ;-)

Your bonnet nuts are certainly righthanded. Note that the stems
may not be since hot and cold taps turn in different directions.

Dave M.

When I tell kids to skate in clockwise circles, they just stand there
and blink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2014 3:53 PM, No name wrote:

When I tell kids to skate in clockwise circles, they just stand there
and blink.

That took me a second.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That quick????
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sky Sky is offline

On 10/16/2014 3:39 AM, Sky wrote:

(snip)
The faucet for my kitchen sink has a chronic
drip, which isn't good for my water bill

(snip)

Er, my bad. I should have replied many days ago. My only excuse is
I've been distracted. Many thanks and more, folks, for the helpful
suggestions regarding the dripping faucet in my kitchen. I've saved
them for future use and reference.

The kitchen faucet has two knobs (H&C), and it's quite old. Instead of
messing with the hot water's loose knob and fittings, I decided to
replace the entire faucet. Knock on wood, no drip-drips are predicted
for the future of the kitchen sink : Thanks again.

Sky

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2014 8:09 PM, Sky wrote:
I decided to
replace the entire faucet. Knock on wood,
no drip-drips are predicted
for the future of the kitchen sink : Thanks again.

Sky

Did you predict the drip that happened
last week?

-