Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dripping bathroom faucet

Hello,

I moved into my house in February 2009. The people who had it before me
only bought it to fix it up. They purchased it in August 2008. During
that timeframe they install new faucets everywhere in the house,
including in 3 bathrooms. They used the same model of faucet in all 3
bathrooms.

It is located he
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/p...l.aspx?id=1569

In one of those bathrooms I started having problems with the faucet back
in May or so. It started to drip and as the weeks went by it dripped
more. I turned the cold water valve to OFF. It still dripped. There was
no hot water valve under the sink and I didn't know which valve in the
basement was the correct one so I couldn't test that one.

I eventually took apart the cold water handle to check the inside of the
faucet. Everything looked fine to me (I'm no plumber though). But I
didn't expect anything out of the ordinary because it is less than a
year old. I put the cold water side back together and turned the valve
back on underneath the sink. It turns out that I ended up making it
worse because I had a steady stream of water coming out of the faucet
without even turning either the hot or cold knob to the open position.
So at that point I just turned the cold water valve to off and went
without cold water. It would still drip but it wasn't as bad and it
wasn't increasing in frequency.

This past weekend my parents came over and looked at it. We found the
water valve in the basement for the hot water for that faucet. We turned
it off and did the same thing as I had already done to the cold water
valve for the faucet. We didn't find anything wrong (didn't expect to
because it is new) and put it all back together. Now the faucet drips
more than it did before (but not a steady stream) and I can hear it now
as the water falls down the drain. It is very annoying. And I don't
think it can be an issue of water pressure destroying the valves or
anything like that because the other faucets are not having trouble.

What could cause both the hot and cold water valve in the faucet to be
bad already when it is less than a year old? Is the main spout at fault?
Is the only remedy to replace it? The American Standard website says the
faucet is exclusive to Home Depot. I didn't buy it but I should still be
able to get a replacement through the lifetime warranty, correct?

thanks for any suggestions
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 17:25:04 -0500, Brandon McCombs
wrote:

[...]

Maybe sand or other debris under the valve/cartridges and it will not
seat properly? Did you check that the valves are seated *tight*?

Cartridges go bad, how long I don't know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Cartridges go bad, how long I don't know.- Hide quoted text -

If it has a lifetime guarantee, I would go talk to the folks at Home
Depot and see if they will supply a replacement faucet. If it is a
two handled faucet, and opening it up made the drip worse, maybe you
should find a friend who has repaired faucets anmd have him/her look
at it and see if they can spot anything that you did wrong when you
closed it back up.

If the faucet has cartridges, it seems strange that both would fail.
If it has old-style rubber faucet washers that push against a brass
seat, the faucet washers are replaceable and so are the brass seats.
So, try to find someone who has a little practical experience and have
them see what is going on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Click his link and look at the parts list diagram.

I don't see a need to replace the entire faucet. Just some parts, like
the valve/cartridge.

"Lifetime" may mean on the finish (?).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brandon McCombs wrote:
[...]

That's weird. Taking something apart and putting it back together usually
fixes whatever's wrong - at least that's been my experience.

I once did that to a clock that was running WAY fast and was never right.
Afterwards it was right twice a day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 17:59:12 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

That's weird. Taking something apart and putting it back together usually
fixes whatever's wrong - at least that's been my experience.

Not for a neighbor here.

The guy can do many things, but cannot fix a faucet leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

wrote:

That's weird. Taking something apart and putting it back together usually
fixes whatever's wrong - at least that's been my experience.

Not for a neighbor here.

The guy can do many things, but cannot fix a faucet leak.

Take it to Home you probaly only need some parts , as lifetime is only
to the Original purchaser. Most taps just needs parts they should
give you those . If they don,t buy a Delta.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That's weird. Taking something apart and putting it back together usually
fixes whatever's wrong - at least that's been my experience.

Not for a neighbor here.

The guy can do many things, but cannot fix a faucet leak.

Take it to Home you probaly only need some parts , as lifetime is only
to the Original purchaser. Most taps just needs parts they should
give you those . If they don,t buy a Delta.

Is there a reason to take a faucet to HD? Seem like a lot of work to
me.

Why should the store give the OP something? Help me out...

Your solution is to buy another faucet?

--
Your User-Agent: G2/1.0 is broken
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brandon McCombs" wrote in message
[...]

First suggestion is to install two new angle stops under your sink, the
quarter turn ball valve kind. If you do not already have them also replace
the supply lines with the good stainless steel braided lines.

Next purchase two cartridges and install them. You should now be drip free.
The lifetime warrantee is for the original purchaser for as long as they own
their home, so you will be on the hook for the $20 bucks in parts.

I have AS products in my home and rentals and I think they are the good
stuff.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

[...]

I would go back to AS and tell them that I am the original owner of this
faucet. The OP bought the house from a party that was acting as a
contractor. ( house bought in August to fix up and bought by OP the
following February. Most likely the "contractor" never occupied the house
as a resident) Ask AS how to obtain repair parts under the warranty,

I bought my house from the builder and never had a problem getting parts
from Moen.

Charlie