Senior Member

Default OT - Canada Geese gathering for flight south

I drove past Assiniboine Park here in Winnipeg this morning on the way to my sister's house for Thanksgiving dinner. They have some pretty big fields in Assiniboine Park where there are 4 baseball diamonds, one in each corner of the field. And, the Indian and Pakistani immigrants play Cricket in other fields there during the summer as well.

There musta been at least 500 Canada Geese in one of the fields I drove by. They're gathering together as they do every fall for the long flight south. My understanding is that they will be flying all the way down to Texas over the next few weeks.

If you ever see Canada Geese in a field, and it looks like they're not doing anything (except standing still), they're actually feeding. Canada Geese feel the ground with their feet, and can locate worms and bugs moving through the ground, and dig them up with their strong beaks. That's why when you see them in a field, they won't cluster together like cows generally do. Each bird will hunt for bugs in his/her own territory. They'll stand still for a minute, walk a few feet and stand still again, and keep doing that for hours.

Geese Joke:
When Canada Geese fly south, they always form a "V" formation. But, one side of the V will typically be longer than the other. Why is that?
Answer: Cuz there's more geese on that side.

Giraffe Joke:
Why is a giraffe's neck so long?
Answer: Well, if it's neck were any shorter, it wouldn't reach it's head.

Last edited by nestork : October 14th 14 at 01:26 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 02:16:44 +0200, nestork
wrote:

[...]

Joke:
When Canada Geese fly south, they always for a "V" formation. But, one
side of the V will typically be longer than the other. Why is that?

Answer: Cuz there's more geese on that side.

I wish ALL the geese here would fly south and forget how to come
back. Around here about hald "over-winter" in our urban parks. We call
them "flying dogs" - for several obvious reasons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I agree with you the damn things are staying the winter in SE Iowa now
and some of the picked corn fields are full of them. They also appear to
be about half tame and will come right up to your deck in your back yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I wish ALL the geese here would fly south and forget how to come
back. Around here about hald "over-winter" in our urban parks. We call
them "flying dogs" - for several obvious reasons.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/osp...ed-nest-above-
missoula-baseball-stadium/article_0672f7f8-bebb-11e3-830f-001a4bcf887a.html

http://snipurl.com/29cbjud

The high profile osprey got some help in their war with the geese but the
pair down the road from me weren't as lucky. The first year that I saw the
goose in their nest I wondered what would happen when the osprey showed up.
They perched on an adjacent pole and glared a lot but I never saw them
attack the goose.

Geese aren't into home repairs, so sooner or later the nest falls apart, the
goose goes elsewhere, and the osprey can rebuild.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I wish ALL the geese here would fly south and forget how to come
back. Around here about hald "over-winter" in our urban parks. We call
them "flying dogs" - for several obvious reasons.
Cuz they crap all over everything as they fly over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 03:50:41 +0200, nestork
wrote:

;3295745 Wrote:

I wish ALL the geese here would fly south and forget how to come
back. Around here about hald "over-winter" in our urban parks. We call
them "flying dogs" - for several obvious reasons.

Cuz they crap all over everything as they fly over.

Not flying over - they just crap everywhere they go - grass in, crap
out - and it is greasy , stinky, crap.
Yes, and they guard their territory like a junkyard mutt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2014 7:48 AM, dadiOH wrote:
I wish ALL the geese here would fly south and forget how to come
back. Around here about hald "over-winter" in our urban parks. We call
them "flying dogs" - for several obvious reasons.

In the Balt-Washington area also, a lot of people consider them a
nuisance.

Throughout their entire area, a lot of the geese consider people a
nuisance.

Who got here first? Migratory birds or
Europeans?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A lot of them don't come back.
"Resident" flocks in the US have increased considerably.
They were pests at one site I used to work at. Workers would have to
come out in the morning to sweep the goose crap off the sidewalks and
they used a remote plane to fly over geese on our pond and chase them off.
Regular migrating Canada's have been largely supplanted by snow geese
which tear up the marshes here in Delaware and hunters report that those
feeding there and shot taste like crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2014 8:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Who got here first? Migratory birds or
Europeans?

I did not even know there was a race.

Senior Member

Canada Geese are also a danger to aviation. They hunt and feed on insects in the ground by feeling the ground with their feet, and airports generally have large grassed areas between the runways. Those large open grass areas are attractive to geese as feeding grounds. The problem is that when planes take off and land, the vibrations in the ground scare the birds into flight, and they can get sucked into jet engines, damaging the engine and potentially causing the plane to crash. That's exactly what happened in New York when that plane had to ditch in the Hudson River.

I expect that all of the runways at commercial airports are paved with concrete rather than asphalt. If airports simply paved the large grassed areas between the concrete runways with asphalt, that would eliminate the goose problem. Not only wouldn't there be any bugs under that asphalt, but the geese wouldn't be able to hunt for bugs through that asphalt either. It wouldn't be attractive to them as a feeding ground.

Canada Geese are also a nuisance on golf courses because they crap all over the golf greens.

Last edited by nestork : October 14th 14 at 04:14 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

;3295745 Wrote:

I wish ALL the geese here would fly south and forget how to come
back. Around here about hald "over-winter" in our urban parks. We call
them "flying dogs" - for several obvious reasons.

Cuz they crap all over everything as they fly over.

A prison camp in Allenwood, PA has an inmate work detail called "Poop
Patrol". All they do is keep the facility grounds cleaned :-)

The geese get very aggressive if you approach their nest.

_Crazy Goose Attacks a Dog on a Fishing Boat_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNAOORJlCZY
--
Definition of a camel: A horse designed by a committee
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 08:16:12 -0400, Frank
wrote:

they used a remote plane to fly over geese on our pond and chase them off.

Check out the Goosinator:

http://www.goosinator.com/
--
Definition of a camel: A horse designed by a committee

Senior Member

Considering how large these geese grow (every bit of 15 pounds), and how many of them there are, I'm wondering if some hunters wouldn't use them for their Thanksgiving Day meal. I don't hunt, so I don't know if they're considered a "game" bird or not. I just know that they seem to be very plentiful.

Also, I expect a good size canine retriever would have no trouble dragging a 15 pound dead weight back out of the water and over land.

Last edited by nestork : October 14th 14 at 11:00 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2014 5:57 PM, nestork wrote:
Considering how large these geese grow (every bit of 15 pounds), and how
many of them there are, I'm wondering if some hunters wouldn't use them
for their Thanksgiving Day meal. I don't hunt, so I don't know if
they're considered a "game" bird or not. I just know that they seem to
be very plentiful.

Also, I expect a good size canine retriever would have no trouble
dragging a 15 pound dead weight back out of the water and over land.

Canada goose tastes great. Roast with an onion and an apple in the
cavity and maybe a couple of slices of bacon across the breast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/14/2014 7:07 PM, Frank wrote:

Canada goose tastes great. Roast with an onion and an apple in the
cavity and maybe a couple of slices of bacon across the breast.

Duck Al Infidel?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/14/2014 7:07 PM, Frank wrote:

Canada goose tastes great. Roast with an onion and an apple in the
cavity and maybe a couple of slices of bacon across the breast.

Duck Al Infidel?

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Long ago goose was the bird of choice on holidays; turkey was what you
ate if you couldn't afford a goose. Things change, and now the turkey
has been bred to be popular, and you don't even find geese at the
poultry place.

I don't know if Canadian geese would be good eating. They're probably
hard to clean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 13:52:25 -0400, No name wrote:

don't know if Canadian geese would be good eating. They're probably
hard to clean.

There are no Canadian geese. Look for or hunt for Canada geese

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2014 2:15 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 13:52:25 -0400, No name wrote:

don't know if Canadian geese would be good eating. They're probably
hard to clean.

There are no Canadian geese. Look for or hunt for Canada geese

Have you checked their passports?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 15:03:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/15/2014 2:15 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 13:52:25 -0400, No name wrote:

don't know if Canadian geese would be good eating. They're probably
hard to clean.

There are no Canadian geese. Look for or hunt for Canada geese

Have you checked their passports?

That would be profiling, right?
--
"..,what is good is the front end if you don't have the back end"-- Kimberly Guilfoyle
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2014 3:14 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 15:03:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
There are no Canadian geese. Look for or hunt for Canada geese

Have you checked their passports?

That would be profiling, right?

Only if they are minorites?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Senior Member

You have to wonder which is worse; the Mexicans coming across the US's southern border or the geese coming across the US's northern border.

Both will take a crap almost anywhere and neither will clean up after themselves.

Neither speaks English well enough to qualify for citizenship.

The geese, at least, don't go to publically funded hospitals or send their kids to schools paid for by US taxpayers, so they're not a burden on society.

Mexicans, on the other hand, don't often get sucked into jet engines at airports during take offs and landings.

Last edited by nestork : October 15th 14 at 09:07 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"nestork" wrote in message

[...]

I have never heard of Canada Geese to dig up and eat bugs. All that I have
seen them do is to mow the grass or scavenge spilled grain in a harvested
field. Every spring I have them on my lawn, and the only things that dig in
the lawn are skunks and raccoons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 18:28:33 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

If you ever see Canada Geese in a field, and it looks like they're not
doing anything (except standing still), they're actually feeding.
Canada Geese feel the ground with their feet, and can locate worms and
bugs moving through the ground, and dig them up with their strong beaks.
That's why when you see them in a field, they won't cluster together
like cows generally do. Each bird will hunt for bugs in his/her own
territory.

I have never heard of Canada Geese to dig up and eat bugs. All that I have
seen them do is to mow the grass or scavenge spilled grain in a harvested
field. Every spring I have them on my lawn, and the only things that dig in
the lawn are skunks and raccoons.

I agree. As far as I know they do not eat bugs and insects. Maybe they
do but I've not witnessed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you ever see Canada Geese in a field, and it looks like they're not
doing anything (except standing still), they're actually feeding.
Canada Geese feel the ground with their feet, and can locate worms and
bugs moving through the ground, and dig them up with their strong beaks.
That's why when you see them in a field, they won't cluster together
like cows generally do. Each bird will hunt for bugs in his/her own
territory.

I have never heard of Canada Geese to dig up and eat bugs. All that I have
seen them do is to mow the grass or scavenge spilled grain in a harvested
field. Every spring I have them on my lawn, and the only things that dig in
the lawn are skunks and raccoons.

I agree. As far as I know they do not eat bugs and insects. Maybe they
do but I've not witnessed it.

They are primarily herbivors, but will occaisionally eat the odd bug
that gets mixed in with the grass and grain. They are not known to
pursue a meat diet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

As an aside, I never heard they "could detect bugs moving through the
ground, and dig them up with their strong beaks. That's why when you
see them in a field, they won't cluster together like cows generally
do. Each bird will hunt for bugs in his/her own territory.'

We're not speaking of chickens...!
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/16/2014 5:32 PM, Oren wrote:

As an aside, I never heard they "could detect bugs moving through the
ground, and dig them up with their strong beaks. That's why when you
see them in a field, they won't cluster together like cows generally
do. Each bird will hunt for bugs in his/her own territory.'

That's just totally bogus methinks...that they don't "cluster together"
is simply that they're territorial and don't do so as a general practice.

They're not hunting bugs, they're basically grazing on green plants such
as grass or winter wheat or taking grain left after harvest in stubble
fields.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you ever see Canada Geese in a field, and it looks like they're
not
doing anything (except standing still), they're actually feeding.
Canada Geese feel the ground with their feet, and can locate worms
and
bugs moving through the ground, and dig them up with their strong
beaks. That's why when you see them in a field, they won't cluster
together like cows generally do. Each bird will hunt for bugs in
his/her own territory.

I have never heard of Canada Geese to dig up and eat bugs. All that I
have seen them do is to mow the grass or scavenge spilled grain in a
harvested field. Every spring I have them on my lawn, and the only
things that dig in the lawn are skunks and raccoons.

I agree. As far as I know they do not eat bugs and insects. Maybe they
do but I've not witnessed it.

I cannot definitively say yay or nay about them but based upon my
experience in raising 25-30 baby, orphaned Muscovy ducks, I would say they
do,

When they were little, they would wander around picking mosquitoes off the
under side of leaves...they would jump up to grab spiders from the
underside of a cap block on a knee wall...any sow bug climbing the wall
was a sure goner. One of them - Bo - could spot a moth miller from 20'
away.

They had a large mortar tub filled with water for bathing. The ground
under it was always damp from their splashing and when I would dump it to
fill with clean water, there were always worms...the ducks would come
running.

When they were at our pond, they spent much time rooting around the
shoreline grabbing invertebrates/larvae including small crawdads. One of
our cats sneaked out onetime and I was trying to entice him back in by
tossing him canned tuna. He never got any, the ducks ate it.

That doesn't mean they didn't eat plants, they grazed on grass like a herd
of goats. Loved lettuce. Peas and corn too, especially corn.

All the above applies to Peking ducks too, had one of those for a while
after an alligator or snapping turtle had taken off one lof her legs.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Senior Member

Well, the point is...

...there was an awful lot of geese in that field!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:03:19 +0200, nestork
wrote:

..there was an awful lot of geese in that field!

Have they flown South yet?
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren[_2_] View Post
Haven't been back to Assiniboine Park since last Monday, but around this time of year I often see geese in flight over
Winnipeg. And, typically they're in that "V" formation.

First group of Canada geese sighted nestork Home Repair 9 April 7th 14 02:06 PM
How to stop Bing from gathering MY information US Judges are the enemy Home Repair 20 July 13th 12 04:00 PM
OT - Please stop feeding the geese Mike Home Repair 14 March 27th 10 12:58 PM
Hurrying - Geese George Woodturning 8 September 26th 05 03:03 AM
South SF South Bay Woodworking Center Open charlie b Woodworking 2 August 18th 05 05:50 PM