Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Canada Geese gathering for flight south

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 02:16:44 +0200, nestork
wrote:

I drove past Assiniboine Park here in Winnipeg this morning on the way
to my sister's house for Thanksgiving dinner. They have some pretty big
fields in Assiniboine Park where there are 4 baseball diamonds, one in
each corner of the field. And, the Indian and Pakistani immigrants play
Cricket in other fields there during the summer as well.

There musta been at least 500 Canada Geese in one of the fields I drove
by. They're gathering together as they do every fall for the long
flight south. My understanding is that they will be flying all the way
down to Texas over the next few weeks.

If you ever see Canada Geese in a field, and it looks like they're not
doing anything (except standing still), they're actually feeding.
Canada Geese feel the ground with their feet, and can locate worms and
bugs moving through the ground, and dig them up with their strong beaks.
That's why when you see them in a field, they won't cluster together
like cows generally do. Each bird will hunt for bugs in his/her own
territory.

Joke:
When Canada Geese fly south, they always for a "V" formation. But, one
side of the V will typically be longer than the other. Why is that?

Answer: Cuz there's more geese on that side.

I wish ALL the geese here would fly south and forget how to come
back. Around here about hald "over-winter" in our urban parks. We call
them "flying dogs" - for several obvious reasons.