Posted to alt.home.repair

Default animal cutting branches off tree

On 10/11/2014 2:48 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I have a hickory tree that I have notices some small branches with leaves on
them on the ground. Looking at the , they are about 1/4 inch in diameter
and look like they were cut like a tubing cutter would cut a copper pipe.

What kind of animal would cut them off the tree like that ?

I have squirrels doing this to my nut trees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
I have a hickory tree that I have notices some small branches with leaves
on them on the ground. Looking at the , they are about 1/4 inch in
diameter and look like they were cut like a tubing cutter would cut a
copper pipe.

What kind of animal would cut them off the tree like that ?

Squirrels do it to my maple trees, but not the oak or pine trees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 14:48:24 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I have a hickory tree that I have notices some small branches with leaves on
them on the ground. Looking at the , they are about 1/4 inch in diameter
and look like they were cut like a tubing cutter would cut a copper pipe.

What kind of animal would cut them off the tree like that ?

Animals with pruning shears! Did you speak to the neighbor next door?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

Animals with pruning shears! Did you speak to the neighbor next door?

I don't really hae a next door neighbor. Out in the country and this
particular tree is in the middle of about 3 acres.

Could be the squirrels as someone mentioned as there are lots of them
around. This is a nut tree. I just would not know why they would do this
unless maybe the nuts are out on the branches too far for them to get to.
They could cut off the branches and go to the ground to get the nuts I
guess.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 15:20:08 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Could be the squirrels as someone mentioned as there are lots of them
around. This is a nut tree. I just would not know why they would do this
unless maybe the nuts are out on the branches too far for them to get to.
They could cut off the branches and go to the ground to get the nuts I
guess.

Sounds about right. Smaller diameter branches, closest to ground on
the tree trunk with less effort to recover the nuts. I'll agree with
it being squirrels until we know different. They bury nuts not far
from the tree to prepare for winter.

Are they now building winter nest high in the tree for winter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

I have a hickory tree that I have notices some small branches with
leaves
on them on the ground. Looking at the , they are about 1/4 inch in
diameter
and look like they were cut like a tubing cutter would cut a copper
pipe.

What kind of animal would cut them off the tree like that ?

In ascending order of probability...

beaver
rat
squirrel
neighbor kid

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
Sounds about right. Smaller diameter branches, closest to ground on
the tree trunk with less effort to recover the nuts. I'll agree with
it being squirrels until we know different. They bury nuts not far
from the tree to prepare for winter.

Are they now building winter nest high in the tree for winter?

I have not looked for the nests. This tree is at the edge of some woods at
my back yard. I probably would not have noticed the branches if it had been
in the woods instead of in the part of the yard I mow.

I will be looking when the leaves get off the trees. I have got to
eliminate those tomato eaters and they got almost all my tomatoes this year.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 16:05:39 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

I have a hickory tree that I have notices some small branches with
leaves
on them on the ground. Looking at the , they are about 1/4 inch in
diameter
and look like they were cut like a tubing cutter would cut a copper
pipe.

What kind of animal would cut them off the tree like that ?

In ascending order of probability...

beaver
rat
squirrel
neighbor kid

I think the most likely to use a tubing cutter is the plumber deer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2014 4:53 PM, micky wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 16:05:39 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

I have a hickory tree that I have notices some small branches with
leaves
on them on the ground. Looking at the , they are about 1/4 inch in
diameter
and look like they were cut like a tubing cutter would cut a copper
pipe.

What kind of animal would cut them off the tree like that ?

In ascending order of probability...

beaver
rat
squirrel
neighbor kid

I think the most likely to use a tubing cutter is the plumber deer.

Look for butt cracks on the ground?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" writes:

"Oren" wrote in message

Animals with pruning shears! Did you speak to the neighbor next door?

I don't really hae a next door neighbor. Out in the country and this
particular tree is in the middle of about 3 acres.

Could be the squirrels as someone mentioned as there are lots of them
around. This is a nut tree. I just would not know why they would do this
unless maybe the nuts are out on the branches too far for them to get to.
They could cut off the branches and go to the ground to get the nuts I
guess.

Almost certainly squirrels at work.

I'm pretty sure, they get out toward the end of the branch,
bite it off and hold onto it. Then remove the nuts and
drop the branch on the ground.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2014 5:32 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
Almost certainly squirrels at work.

I'm pretty sure, they get out toward the end of the branch,
bite it off and hold onto it. Then remove the nuts and
drop the branch on the ground.

Some observation might provide data.
Binoculars, and a bit of time.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:02:52 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/11/2014 5:32 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
Almost certainly squirrels at work.

I'm pretty sure, they get out toward the end of the branch,
bite it off and hold onto it. Then remove the nuts and
drop the branch on the ground.

Some observation might provide data.
Binoculars, and a bit of time.

It may be easier to see through an illuminated scope mounted to your
AR15?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2014 4:53 PM, micky wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 16:05:39 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

I have a hickory tree that I have notices some small branches with
leaves
on them on the ground. Looking at the , they are about 1/4 inch in
diameter
and look like they were cut like a tubing cutter would cut a copper
pipe.

What kind of animal would cut them off the tree like that ?

In ascending order of probability...

beaver
rat
squirrel
neighbor kid

I think the most likely to use a tubing cutter is the plumber deer.

Wife chastised me the other day for bringing deer poop on my shoes into
the powder room. Told her I had not even been in the yard that day.

Told her, bad enough, deer eating all our chestnuts, now they're
sneaking in to use our powder room.
Senior Member

Ralph:

Does the cut in the branches look like this:

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/2911/2911-1423/L_IMG_fig1.jpg

There's two kinds of beetle that cut small branches off of trees called either a twig girdler or a twig pruner. In both cases, the fallen branch still contains the larvae of the beetle, and should be burned in order to control the beetles from infesting the tree.

Twig Girdler/Twig Pruner - Home - Virginia Cooperative Extension

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2014 6:51 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
Some observation might provide data.
Binoculars, and a bit of time.

It may be easier to see through an
illuminated scope mounted to your
AR15?

I have seven wives and 35 children to bring
ammo for my belt fed M60.

I send three or four kids out front to light
matches, so I can see what I'm doing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

Ralph:

Does the cut in the branches look like this:

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/2911/2911-1423/L_IMG_fig1.jpg

There's two kinds of beetle that cut small branches off of trees called
either a twig girdler or a twig pruner. In both cases, the fallen
branch still contains the larvae of the beetle, and should be burned in
order to control the beetles from infesting the tree.

'Twig Girdler/Twig Pruner - Home - Virginia Cooperative Extension'
(http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/2911/2911-1423/2911-1423.html)

The ones I saw look very much like the one in the pix. I will see if I can
find where I tossed them out of the yard. If I find any, I will look to see
if I can find the larva or egg in them. If so I will burn them as the
artical says.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair
JAS JAS is offline

Ralph Mowery wrote:
I have a hickory tree that I have notices some small branches with leaves on
them on the ground. Looking at the , they are about 1/4 inch in diameter
and look like they were cut like a tubing cutter would cut a copper pipe.

What kind of animal would cut them off the tree like that ?

My yard is covered with cottonwood branches that the squirrels have
chewed off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JAS JAS is offline

The ones I saw look very much like the one in the pix. I will see if I can
find where I tossed them out of the yard. If I find any, I will look to see
if I can find the larva or egg in them. If so I will burn them as the
artical says.

Extension agent at the Univ of Nebr said squirrels chew where the
branches join the tree for the sweet sap, said it would not hurt the tree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Could be the squirrels as someone mentioned as there are lots of them
around. This is a nut tree. I just would not know why they would do this
unless maybe the nuts are out on the branches too far for them to get to.
They could cut off the branches and go to the ground to get the nuts I
guess.

Likely. There aren't any nut trees around here but the squirrels are
harvesting pine cones. Nothing like walking through the woods and getting
hit in the head by a ponderose pine cone some squirrel just cut loose. Then
they drag the cone to their favorite stump and extract the seeds. You see
stumps that are in a foot deep pile of discarded scales from the cones.

The bad part is pine squirrels are pretty small and live, surprise, on pine
so they're not worth eating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2014 6:59 PM, Frank wrote:
Wife chastised me the other day for bringing deer poop on my shoes into
the powder room. Told her I had not even been in the yard that day.

Told her, bad enough, deer eating all our chestnuts, now they're
sneaking in to use our powder room.

Padlock your fridge. They love maraschino cherries.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Could be the squirrels as someone mentioned as there are lots of them
around. This is a nut tree. I just would not know why they would
do this unless maybe the nuts are out on the branches too far for
them to get to. They could cut off the branches and go to the ground
to get the nuts I guess.

Likely. There aren't any nut trees around here but the squirrels are
harvesting pine cones. Nothing like walking through the woods and
getting hit in the head by a ponderose pine cone some squirrel just
cut loose. Then they drag the cone to their favorite stump and
extract the seeds. You see stumps that are in a foot deep pile of
discarded scales from the cones.

The bad part is pine squirrels are pretty small and live, surprise,
on pine so they're not worth eating.

I've been dodging hickory nuts and white oak acorns . And I haven't tried
them yet , but will be hunting some as soon as I get a decent scope on the
..22 . Already got the scope , rings came yesterday , I might have to make
the base rail .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2014 3:20 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

Animals with pruning shears! Did you speak to the neighbor next door?

I don't really hae a next door neighbor. Out in the country and this
particular tree is in the middle of about 3 acres.

Could be the squirrels as someone mentioned as there are lots of them
around. This is a nut tree. I just would not know why they would do this
unless maybe the nuts are out on the branches too far for them to get to.
They could cut off the branches and go to the ground to get the nuts I
guess.

Better to have the squirrels cutting off branches of trees, then to be
after your nuts!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:

I've been dodging hickory nuts and white oak acorns . And I haven't tried
them yet , but will be hunting some as soon as I get a decent scope on
the .22 . Already got the scope , rings came yesterday , I might have to
make the base rail .

Now a big old gray or fox squirrel that's living on acorns is a whole
different thing than something a little bigger than a chipmunk that eats
pine cones. The only grays around here are mostly in town where the non-
native trees are. Somebody would be upset if I started plugging them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

I've been dodging hickory nuts and white oak acorns . And I haven't
tried them yet , but will be hunting some as soon as I get a
decent scope on the .22 . Already got the scope , rings came
yesterday , I might have to make the base rail .

Now a big old gray or fox squirrel that's living on acorns is a whole
different thing than something a little bigger than a chipmunk that
eats pine cones. The only grays around here are mostly in town where
the non- native trees are. Somebody would be upset if I started
plugging them.

The little ****ers are like rats out here . We're currently fattening them
on deer corn ...

--