Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default Trimming 2-4 inch tree branches

On 4/30/2014 8:33 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Hidee friends and neighbors,

I need to whack off (sorry ladies) some 2-4 inch diameter limbs that are 8-12 feet off the ground. Awhile back I picked up a chain-saw-on-a-stick at Harbor Freight, took it out of the package, stared at it for 15 minutes, packed it up and returned it the same day. Already got caught with a finger in the pickle slicer at work(*) and don't need no more problems like that.

My idea is to fasten my reciprocating saw securely on a 6-ft long 2x4. Safety and staying within the limits of a tool are number one with me, so spare me any lectures, please.

Any other ideas or tools to do this without using a ladder or high explosives?

Here's a tree trimming video that looks interesting...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7uTxgFzKNI

Thanks in advance!

Bob

(*) Both me and the pickle slicer got fired.

Pole pruner is always handy for me. I've got two, one with simple
wooden handle and one of fiberglass that stretches.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Guv Bob" wrote:
Hidee friends and neighbors,

I need to whack off (sorry ladies) some 2-4 inch diameter limbs that are
8-12 feet off the ground. Awhile back I picked up a chain-saw-on-a-stick
at Harbor Freight, took it out of the package, stared at it for 15
minutes, packed it up and returned it the same day. Already got caught
with a finger in the pickle slicer at work(*) and don't need no more problems like that.

My idea is to fasten my reciprocating saw securely on a 6-ft long 2x4.
Safety and staying within the limits of a tool are number one with me, so
spare me any lectures, please.

So you are afraid to use a tool that was designed for the task at hand, yet
you feel comfortable kludging together something as ridiculous as a
reciprocating saw fastened to a 2x4.

Yeah, I guess a lecture would certainly be wasted on you.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 16:33:55 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

Any other ideas or tools to do this without using a ladder or high explosives?

_High Limb Rope Saw_

http://www.sportys.com/ToolShop/product/8437

But this is also good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2bfOClJMrk
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:

Any other ideas or tools to do this without using a ladder or high explosives?

_High Limb Rope Saw_

http://www.sportys.com/ToolShop/product/8437

That looked like a neat gizmo so I checked Amazon:
http://tinyurl.com/k62cv7k
There were close to 400 reviews.

But this is also good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2bfOClJMrk

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:

Any other ideas or tools to do this without using a ladder or high explosives?

_High Limb Rope Saw_

http://www.sportys.com/ToolShop/product/8437

That looked like a neat gizmo so I checked Amazon:
http://tinyurl.com/k62cv7k
There were close to 400 reviews.

It would take some exercise to operate it.

I've noted that plumbers use a cable saw to cut PVC in tight places,
were a saw is not feasible. The heat and friction cuts the PVC.

I bet this limb saw can be made with just rope and a sharp chain saw
blade. Exercise the kid living in the basement

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

" wrote:

On 4/30/14 7:36 PM, Oren wrote:

_High Limb Rope Saw_

http://www.sportys.com/ToolShop/product/8437

That looked like a neat gizmo so I checked Amazon:
http://tinyurl.com/k62cv7k
There were close to 400 reviews.

It would take some exercise to operate it.

I've noted that plumbers use a cable saw to cut PVC in tight places,
were a saw is not feasible. The heat and friction cuts the PVC.

I had one of those, maybe still do. It must be in a very safe
place though.
I use a chain tailpipe cutter to cut conduit that already contains
wiring. It cuts schedule 40 enough that I can break it then file the
edges. It looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/k593syw
(Amazon again)

I bet this limb saw can be made with just rope and a sharp chain saw
blade. Exercise the kid living in the basement

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Guv Bob , Spork wrote:
guvbob2003 wrote:

Hidee friends and neighbors,
I need to whack off (sorry ladies) some 2-4 inch diameter limbs that are
8-12 feet off the ground. Awhile back I picked up a
chain-saw-on-a-stick at Harbor Freight, took it out of the package,
stared at it for 15 minutes, packed it up and returned it the same day.
Already got caught with a finger in the pickle slicer at work(*) and
don't need no more problems like that.

http://www.harborfreight.com/long-re...saw-97092.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

The problem is to get the rope saw over the branch to be cut. That requires a pole that is a couple of inches longer than the height of the branchm anbd it has to have some mechanism at the top to get thee saw over the branch and then get both ends of the saw back to the ground so the operator can go back and forth, A coathanger or two and some duct tape and a paor of pliers should enable a skilled person to craft some sort of gizmo to do this. But you do need some additional rope to go from each end of the saw back to ground level.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/30/2014 09:57 PM, Oren wrote:
I bet this limb saw can be made with just rope and a sharp chain saw
blade. Exercise the kid living in the basement

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...randson-576423

Posted to alt.home.repair

12 gauge, full choke, 7 1/2 shot should do the trick. Shoot nearly straight up, your shot should still be in a cluster as you hit the branch, but will spread out after that. It's small enough it can't do any damage on the way down. Warn your neighbors you're testing fireworks for the 4th of July so they don't call the police.

I knew somebody who did this to remove mistletoe from his trees. He bought a new shotgun and a case of ammo for about half the price the tree trimming firm quoted him.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Guv Bob" wrote in
message m
Hidee friends and neighbors,

I need to whack off (sorry ladies) some 2-4 inch diameter
limbs that are 8-12 feet off the ground. Awhile back I
picked up a chain-saw-on-a-stick at Harbor Freight, took
it out of the package, stared at it for 15 minutes,
packed it up and returned it the same day. Already got
caught with a finger in the pickle slicer at work(*) and
don't need no more problems like that.

My idea is to fasten my reciprocating saw securely on a
6-ft long 2x4. Safety and staying within the limits of a
tool are number one with me, so spare me any lectures,
please.

Any other ideas or tools to do this without using a
ladder or high explosives?

Well, there is always the tried and true pruning saw cum rope operated
lopper on a pole, no electricity or gasoline needed.

PS - I'd take the bigger limbs off in sections.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:12:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The problem is to get the rope saw over the branch to be cut. That requires a pole that is a couple of inches longer than the height of the branchm anbd it has to have some mechanism at the top to get thee saw over the branch and then get both ends of the saw back to the ground so the operator can go back and forth, A coathanger or two and some duct tape and a paor of pliers should enable a skilled person to craft some sort of gizmo to do this. But you do need some additional rope to go from each end of the saw back to ground level.

I've used a chain rope saw to get to a branch that was too high
to get to using a pole saw. It worked, but it's more work than
a pole saw. As you point out, you have to use throw an object with
a rope attached to get it over the limb. And then you can't control
where exactly the cut gets made, the angle, etc. And it can jamb up,
ie get caught on you. It's a lot harder than using a pole saw. For
branches ten or twelve feet, a pole saw would be my first choice.
I've never used an electric one, but if I had enough need for one
that would be my first choice. For just occasional use, a hand type
is OK.

Like Derby said, I think it's nuts to be putting a reciprocating saw
on the end of a 6 ft 2x4. For one thing, the math doesn;t add up.
How do you get to a limb 12 ft up with a 6ft 2x4? Allowing for the angle,
that the saw has to go on the last 18" or so, etc, I'd think it needs to
be more like a 10 or 12 ft 2x4. Good luck weilding that around at all,
let alone safely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2014 8:44 AM, TimR wrote:
12 gauge, full choke, 7 1/2 shot should do

the trick. Shoot nearly straight up, your shot
should still be in a cluster as you hit the
branch, but will spread out after that. It's
small enough it can't do any damage on the way
down. Warn your neighbors you're testing fire
works for the 4th of July so they don't call the
police.

I knew somebody who did this to remove mistletoe

from his trees. He bought a new shotgun and a case
of ammo for about half the price the tree trimming
firm quoted him.

I visited an old farmer friend, who tried this.
Birdshot didn't work, had to use deer slugs.

In this case, I'd think "tree pruner" from Harbor
Freight.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Per Frank:
Pole pruner is always handy for me. I've got two, one with simple
wooden handle and one of fiberglass that stretches.

+1.

Chain saws scare me - especially if I am only going to be using one once
a year...

A quality pole saw - with the curved blade - cuts amazingly fast.

FWIW, some pros cleared out a broken up tree next door and they used a
pole saw on one branch that must've been at least 8" in diameter.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:12:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
The problem is to get the rope saw over the branch to be cut. That requires a pole that is a couple of inches longer than the height of the branchm anbd it has to have some mechanism at the top to get thee saw over the branch and then get both ends of the saw back to the ground so the operator can go back and forth, A coathanger or two and some duct tape and a paor of pliers should enable a skilled person to craft some sort of gizmo to do this. But you do need some additional rope to go from each end of the saw back to ground level.

A few years back I wanted to cut down a tree which was leaning a bit too much towards the barn. I thought that if I got a rope over a high branch, I could use the truck to pull it in a safe direction as it fell, using a long enough rope so that the tree didn't fall on the truck, of course. To get the rope up there easily, I'd shoot an arrow with a long length of string tied to it, then tie the string to the rope and hoist it up where I wanted it by pulling on the string. Like Robin Hood used to do in those old movies to get across the moat and into the castle.

I attached the loose end of a ball of string to an arrow by unscrewing the arrow head a bit, looping the string around the threads, and tightening it down again. The problem with this is that as the arrow goes up, it is constantly dragging more string and hence more weight. All this extra weight pulls the nose down and the arrow goes into a parabola path, so it doesn't get very far up. Accuracy is also severely compromised.

After a few tries, I decided to tie the string on the back end so that it wouldn't pull the nose down. Unfortunately, I still had the problem of ever-increasing drag from the weight of the string and that didn't work either.

I finally gave up and dragged the extension ladder out from the garage to tie the rope up there.

I've subsequently bought a crossbow with a lot more power, so maybe I'll try that next time. And I'll use dental floss instead of string to cut down on the drag.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message
On Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:12:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
A few years back I wanted to cut down a tree which was leaning a bit too
much towards the barn. I thought that if I got a rope over a high branch,

I could use the truck to pull it in a safe direction as it fell, using a
long enough rope so that the tree didn't fall on the truck, of course. To
get the rope up there easily, I'd shoot an arrow with a long length of
string tied to it, then tie the string to the rope and hoist it up where I
wanted it by pulling on the string. Like Robin Hood used to do in those
old movies to get across the moat and into the castle.

I built something similar to this to get string across the trees. With only
35 psi it will throw a line over 60 feet into the trees. Not sure what it
would do with close ot 100 psi .

http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/projects/La.../Launcher.html

It is made out of some PVC pipe and uses compressed air.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Guv Bob posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

Was he worth it?

--
Tekkie

Best time of year to remove dead branches from oak tree? Mike O Home Repair 26 August 20th 18 08:51 PM
Tree trimming Stan Brown Home Ownership 6 June 4th 08 11:42 AM
I'm looking for a very shallow mower to get under low tree branches [email protected] UK diy 10 May 23rd 08 06:55 PM
Bay Tree Trimming asalcedo UK diy 4 July 22nd 06 09:19 PM
trimming a pine tree root. meirman Home Repair 7 October 3rd 04 04:42 AM