Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solvent for new Thompsons WaterSeal

Thompsons WaterSeal Advanced has been on the market
for a couple of years. The label promises "Easy soap & water
clean-up," the product apparently reformulated so as to comply
with European Union regulations restricting volatiles.

In practice, soap and water cleanup is by no means "easy."
The product contains some sort of wax that repels water
(and I dare say makes it effective on timber.) But what
sort of solvent can actually dissolve this component
so we can clean our brushes for reuse?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/05/2014 9:06 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
Thompsons WaterSeal Advanced has been on the market
for a couple of years. The label promises "Easy soap& water
clean-up," the product apparently reformulated so as to comply
with European Union regulations restricting volatiles.

In practice, soap and water cleanup is by no means "easy."
The product contains some sort of wax that repels water
(and I dare say makes it effective on timber.) But what
sort of solvent can actually dissolve this component
so we can clean our brushes for reuse?

If there's no additional info at the Thompson site, I'd suggest looking
at the MSDS and see what is listed as the additive active ingredients.

Or, the simple expedient of starting with the various normal painting
solvents and experiment.

Generally, however, I'd think after the most basic of rinsing out the
"warm water and soap/detergent rule" should be effective as a first
guess of the order of the above solvents...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2014 10:06 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
Thompsons WaterSeal Advanced has been on the market
for a couple of years. The label promises "Easy soap & water
clean-up," the product apparently reformulated so as to comply
with European Union regulations restricting volatiles.

In practice, soap and water cleanup is by no means "easy."
The product contains some sort of wax that repels water
(and I dare say makes it effective on timber.) But what
sort of solvent can actually dissolve this component
so we can clean our brushes for reuse?

I was going to suggest mineral spirits, as it is most used as solvent
for paste waxes, but decided to look further. Thompson's website sucks,
and I could not find MSDS, but here is a link to more clean-up:
http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/wa...e-waterproofer

For DRIED overspray, they suggest mineral spirits or paint thinner.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Phillipson[_3_] View Post
Thompsons WaterSeal Advanced has been on the market
for a couple of years. The label promises "Easy soap & water
clean-up," the product apparently reformulated so as to comply
with European Union regulations restricting volatiles.

In practice, soap and water cleanup is by no means "easy."
The product contains some sort of wax that repels water
(and I dare say makes it effective on timber.) But what
sort of solvent can actually dissolve this component
so we can clean our brushes for reuse?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
One of the reasons why it can be hard to remove water wash-up coatings from a paint brush is because the wet coating gets drawn high up into the "heel" of the brush by capillary pressure. The stuff that gets drawn up into that area where the bristles are tightly packed together will dry there while you're painting and result in "shaggy dog" paint brushes where the bristles are spread out and the heel of the brush is hard as a rock.

One way to avoid that problem is to wash the brush out in water and shaking out the excess water BEFORE using it, and to periodically add some water to the bristles near the ferrule using an eye dropper.

Doing that ensures that there's water high up in the bristles which will prevent the water-clean-up coating you're applying from drying up and hardening in that area, thereby ruining the paint brush.

You can buy an eye dropper for less than $2 at any pharmacy.

If your brush is already hard with dried up stuff, I would dip the brush bristles in acetone or lacquer thinner, working the brush bristles after each dipping. Don't just leave the brush bristles soaking in either solvent. I expect both solvents would probably dissolve the Thompson's Water seal but you can check to see which one works better by dipping a Q-tip in either solvent and using that wet Q-tip to clean a small area of that Thompson's water seal. Clean in an area where light reflects off the Thompson water seal. If the solvent dissolves the stuff, the surface of the area you cleaned will be rough and will scatter light diffusely rather than specularly. That is, the cleaned surface will be dull instead of glossy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2014 10:51 AM, nestork wrote:
'Don Phillipson[_3_ Wrote:
;3292416']Thompsons WaterSeal Advanced has been on the market
[...]

I used a paint roller to apply mine last year and just rinsed it off
when done. It was good enough to use this year and will be used next year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

On 7/9/2018 8:56 AM, wrote:
Looking for solution NOT some jackass opinion of product !!

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 at 10:06:42 AM UTC-4, Don Phillipson wrote:
Thompsons WaterSeal Advanced has been on the market
for a couple of years. The label promises "Easy soap & water
clean-up," the product apparently reformulated so as to comply
with European Union regulations restricting volatiles.

In practice, soap and water cleanup is by no means "easy."
The product contains some sort of wax that repels water
(and I dare say makes it effective on timber.) But what
sort of solvent can actually dissolve this component
so we can clean our brushes for reuse?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Paraffin wax requires hydrocarbon solvent. I'd do best with soap and
water first then maybe paint thinner.

I've used product before and after reformulation to remove VOC's and
once mediocre product is now even poorer in protecting wood.

Well I've been a painter all my life and I am familiar with this
product.

First of all, the old Thompsons Waterseal was oil based and a
decent product. The clear seal, you could even put it in a garden
sprayer and flood it on. I comes thin as water. Then just wipe up
what didn't soak into the wood. Usually just a few spots on a
wood deck.

As far as the newer products that are water-based... They are
thicker and harder to use and require application with a brush.
Too thick to spray and you don't ever want to thin any water
sealer.

Here is the way to clean your brushes properly for reuse.

- wash brush thoroughly with soap and water
- kick out the water from your brush
- immediately rinse brush in paint thinners
- then kick out the thinners (not on your grass)
- then do the soap and water thing one more time.
- kick out the water, shape the bristles and wrap
in newspaper tightly until it dries over night
- put brush back in original sleeve the next morning

This is not "random internet advice." I've done this for
a living for about 100 years now. I do know what works and
what doesn't.

Note: if anyone still sells the old oil-based Thompsons,
grab it up and use it. It's much cheaper yet superior, imo.
Enviromentalists are making good paint products go way.
No matter what brand you buy all clear sealers say to do
it once a year for best protection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2018 7:15 AM, Gary wrote:
Frank wrote:

On 7/9/2018 8:56 AM, wrote:
[...]

Confirms my opinion. I had used both old and new products several times
myself. As a retired chemist, I have seen many a formally fine product
ruined by the environmentalists.

Discussed the travails of getting a new Trex deck last year in ng. Cost
a lot more than wood but looks great and relieves me of the annual
staining burden.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 at 9:06:42 AM UTC-5, Don Phillipson wrote:
Thompsons WaterSeal Advanced has been on the market
for a couple of years. The label promises "Easy soap & water
clean-up," the product apparently reformulated so as to comply
with European Union regulations restricting volatiles.

In practice, soap and water cleanup is by no means "easy."
The product contains some sort of wax that repels water
(and I dare say makes it effective on timber.) But what
sort of solvent can actually dissolve this component
so we can clean our brushes for reuse?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Hey Don,

Did you ever get a sufficient answer? Which worked best for you? Also, I'm going to be using this product for the first time. In fact, it will be my first time using any type of water sealer. What kind of brush is recommended to apply Advanced?
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Don Phillipson, Nancy wrote:
We are having the same issue. Did you get any info on cleaning the
roller/brush?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...al-810081-.htm

Parts washer solvent options (and then disposal of used solvent) [email protected] Metalworking 12 March 18th 18 02:49 AM
Thompsons water seal equivilent? Jim Home Repair 13 June 30th 16 04:44 AM
Thompsons water seal Jim Home Repair 4 June 1st 08 01:03 PM
Thompsons water seal question Shopdog Home Repair 5 September 21st 06 02:56 PM
Waterseal vs. Masonry paint? Max Christian UK diy 7 November 30th 03 08:57 AM