Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Solvent for new Thompsons WaterSeal

On 10/05/2014 9:06 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
Thompsons WaterSeal Advanced has been on the market
for a couple of years. The label promises "Easy soap& water
clean-up," the product apparently reformulated so as to comply
with European Union regulations restricting volatiles.

In practice, soap and water cleanup is by no means "easy."
The product contains some sort of wax that repels water
(and I dare say makes it effective on timber.) But what
sort of solvent can actually dissolve this component
so we can clean our brushes for reuse?

If there's no additional info at the Thompson site, I'd suggest looking
at the MSDS and see what is listed as the additive active ingredients.

Or, the simple expedient of starting with the various normal painting
solvents and experiment.

Generally, however, I'd think after the most basic of rinsing out the
"warm water and soap/detergent rule" should be effective as a first
guess of the order of the above solvents...