Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Air Furnace Duct Cleaning: Good Idea ?

Hello,

Family member has been diognosed with mild asthma.
Lives in a house with hot air heating.
House about 30 yrs old.

Was thinking of suggesting that they have the hot air
ducts cleaned out by one of those services that do it.

But, there does not seem to be any kind of agreement as
to whether this is actually a good idea or not.

Counter argument to doing it seems to be that the lint, etc. by now is
pretty well adhered to the duct's wall's, and you are better off to not
disturb it. Just live with whatever comes loose in normal usage, and use
a good furnace filter.

Makes some sense, I guess, but ... ?

What's the latest thinking on this subject ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/02/2014 06:31 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Family member has been diognosed with mild asthma.
Lives in a house with hot air heating.
House about 30 yrs old.

Was thinking of suggesting that they have the hot air
ducts cleaned out by one of those services that do it.

But, there does not seem to be any kind of agreement as
to whether this is actually a good idea or not.

Counter argument to doing it seems to be that the lint, etc. by now is
pretty well adhered to the duct's wall's, and you are better off to not
disturb it. Just live with whatever comes loose in normal usage, and use
a good furnace filter.

Makes some sense, I guess, but ... ?

What's the latest thinking on this subject ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

My house is over 100 years old and used to be extremely dusty so I had
one of those places come out. They cleaned the vents but that did
nothing to eliminate the dust.

About a year later I was working in the basement and bumped something
into one of the hot air ducts and it thumped (made a non-hollow sound)

It was an elbow which I took apart and found clogged with probably fo
years worth of debris. After I disassembled and cleaned it, it actually
was less dusty in the house.

So if you hire one of those services make sure they really get
everything! Then...got one of those electrostatic filters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 16:31:53 -0700, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Family member has been diognosed with mild asthma.
Lives in a house with hot air heating.
House about 30 yrs old.

Was thinking of suggesting that they have the hot air
ducts cleaned out by one of those services that do it.

But, there does not seem to be any kind of agreement as
to whether this is actually a good idea or not.

Counter argument to doing it seems to be that the lint, etc. by now is
pretty well adhered to the duct's wall's, and you are better off to not
disturb it. Just live with whatever comes loose in normal usage, and use
a good furnace filter.

Makes some sense, I guess, but ... ?

What's the latest thinking on this subject ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Background:
I have/had such severe asthma that often triggered by a cold would end up
down for over a month at a time [hospital grade down]. Lungs have so much
scar tissue that during my draft physical for the Vietnam War, the doctor
came over and very seriously said, "We don't want to frighten you, but we
don't want you. We're giving you a 4F rating." More recently during my
pilot's physical exam my doctor would listen to my lungs and tell me to
cut down on my smoking. "Doctor, you know I don't smoke." He'd then give
that "hmmmm" and check more but not say anything.

That's background. So under insurance claim was allowed to purchase an
electrostatic air cleaner! Fairly expensive too. I put it in the corner of
our bedroom, turned it on, laid down on the bed. After it ran a few short
moments; it literally felt like someone had been sitting on my chest for
years got up and left! The effect was THAT dramatic.

I share ALL those details to convince you your friend should get portable
electrostatic cleaners, place them EVERYWHERE, AND clean out the crud from
his heating vents. But form experience, if they don't put something
mechanical in there, fire 'em. An air blast won't do it!.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 19:31:53 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Family member has been diognosed with mild asthma.
Lives in a house with hot air heating.
House about 30 yrs old.

Was thinking of suggesting that they have the hot air
ducts cleaned out by one of those services that do it.

But, there does not seem to be any kind of agreement as
to whether this is actually a good idea or not.

Counter argument to doing it seems to be that the lint, etc. by now is
pretty well adhered to the duct's wall's, and you are better off to not
disturb it. Just live with whatever comes loose in normal usage, and use
a good furnace filter.

Makes some sense, I guess, but ... ?

What's the latest thinking on this subject ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Usually, good duct cleaners use a "whip" in the ducts.

To answer or try to help see:

_Should You Have the Air Ducts in Your Home Cleaned?_

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airduct.html

Do not get ripped off by a fly by night outfit.

Silent video with a whip.

_HOW AIR DUCTS ARE CLEANED THE VIPER IN ACTION !!! _

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JntuXMsc4mc

Get Mom's permission first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Clean and seal is the most effective. A good duct cleaner will
"shake" the ducts as they are being cleaned, then they spray a
fixative that traps any remaining dirt firmly to the duct surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, it always seemed to me that if the ducts were really spewing dust, they would be getting cleaner and cleaner. Either that or the dust would be sticking in place and not causing problems. I don't give duct cleaners much credibility. I recommend the electrostatic filter route along with sealing cracks from the outside. If you have negative air pressure in the house, it could be drawing dust from the attic though cracks or electrical sockets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2014 7:50 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
That's background. So under insurance claim was allowed to purchase an
electrostatic air cleaner! Fairly expensive too. I put it in the corner
of our bedroom, turned it on, laid down on the bed. After it ran a few
short moments; it literally felt like someone had been sitting on my
chest for years got up and left! The effect was THAT dramatic.

Combine the cleaners with having the ducts
cleaned out, I'd expect some improvement.

My problem turned out to be stuff growing
in the tray of my window AC. I had to take
it all apart, clean it, and clorox it. That
helped, in my case. I also rerouted the
condensate, so it doesn't collect in the
tray any more, it runs dry. I know about
slinger rings, and evaporative cooling for
the condenser, but I prefer not having slime
build up.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

EPA does not recommend that air ducts be cleaned except on an as-needed basis because of the continuing uncertainty about the benefits of duct cleaning under most circumstances.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airduct.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2014 7:59 PM, Oren wrote:
Silent video with a whip.

_HOW AIR DUCTS ARE CLEANED THE VIPER IN ACTION !!! _

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JntuXMsc4mc

Get Mom's permission first.

Trader says to have a shut off valve installed
just past the plenum. So you can check for
pressure.

Pico answered the question you asked, and
provided helpful information.

Stormin made an obscure quip about having
Muslim techs blow up your furnace.

Julie Blove reminds you that her WH just
blew out again, and you're an asshole.

Martin Jones found this thread on Google
Groups, 12 years later, and asked for the
name of a duct cleaning service in the
San Francisco bay area.

Duct Systems Limited posted from Home Owners
Hub, in 2017, spamming the group with about
400 posts of advertising.

Dan, Dan, had a plan. Gene, Gene, made a
machine. Frank, Frank, turned a crank. Art,
art, lit a fart and blew the whole darn
thing apart.

Jesus prayed unto the Father "What, Father,
is with this bunch of nitwits?"

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2014 7:31 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Family member has been diognosed with mild asthma.
Lives in a house with hot air heating.
House about 30 yrs old.

Was thinking of suggesting that they have the hot air
ducts cleaned out by one of those services that do it.

But, there does not seem to be any kind of agreement as
to whether this is actually a good idea or not.

Counter argument to doing it seems to be that the lint, etc. by now is
pretty well adhered to the duct's wall's, and you are better off to not
disturb it. Just live with whatever comes loose in normal usage, and use
a good furnace filter.

Makes some sense, I guess, but ... ?

What's the latest thinking on this subject ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

I only know one family that had duct cleaning
done, a guy from my church congregation. He was
thrilled with the service, and very pleased he
did. I don't remember which company. Guess I
could ask, if you wish. I'm sure he'd know.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2014 8:14 AM, Tony Discenza wrote:
EPA does not recommend that air ducts be cleaned

except on an as-needed basis because of the
continuing uncertainty about the benefits of
duct cleaning under most circumstances.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airduct.html

Does family member diagnosed with
mild asthma qualify?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2014 10:59 PM, Tony Hwang wrote: Stormin Mormon wrote:
Hi,
There was a report out a few years ago written by CMHC(Canada Mortgage
and Housing Corporation) about the effect of duct cleaning. Conclusion,
"not that effective,
save your money". I always lived in a house built per our specs. Never
lived in old house.
Always forced air heating/cooling system with 16x25x5 Merv 10 or better
filter/or Honeywell electronic filter. Never had dust issue(s) in the
house even with cat and dog.
My son was born with serious asthma, until he reached pre-teen he
carried two different
puffers all the time. But since Jr. high he did not need them. He
started playing Tenor Sax in the band for 6 years and now at age 30,
still does in addition to guitar and drum playing. Good diet, natural
supplement, excercise got rid of that asthma for good. We
conquered asthma in my house.

That's encouraging. Hope the OP with the family
member can benefit from your success.

====================

This constitutes a legal deletion and
does not have to be reported to command.

Posted to alt.home.repair

is the family member with asthma obese? that means are they seriously overweight?

if so serious weight loss including weight loss urgery can often solve most of their health troubles
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never found dirt when taking ductwork apart,
aside from the area around the vent where dust can
drift in.
I'd spend the money on a better furnace filter and
maybe an air cleaner. The HEPA air cleaners work well,
in my experience. I had one once and it made the air
in the room feel fresh, like outside. The trouble with
that, though, is that it's local to one room and it's
somewhat noisy.

"Bob" wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| Family member has been diognosed with mild asthma.
| Lives in a house with hot air heating.
| House about 30 yrs old.
|
| Was thinking of suggesting that they have the hot air
| ducts cleaned out by one of those services that do it.
|
| But, there does not seem to be any kind of agreement as
| to whether this is actually a good idea or not.
|
| Counter argument to doing it seems to be that the lint, etc. by now is
| pretty well adhered to the duct's wall's, and you are better off to not
| disturb it. Just live with whatever comes loose in normal usage, and use
| a good furnace filter.
|
| Makes some sense, I guess, but ... ?
|
| What's the latest thinking on this subject ?
|
| Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.
|
| Thanks,
| Bob
|
| ---
| This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
protection is active.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

| Hello,

| Family member has been diognosed with mild asthma.

| Lives in a house with hot air heating.

| House about 30 yrs old.

| Was thinking of suggesting that they have the hot air

| ducts cleaned out by one of those services that do it.

| But, there does not seem to be any kind of agreement as

| to whether this is actually a good idea or not.

| Counter argument to doing it seems to be that the lint, etc. by now is

| pretty well adhered to the duct's wall's, and you are better off to not

| disturb it. Just live with whatever comes loose in normal usage, and use

| a good furnace filter.

| Makes some sense, I guess, but ... ?

| What's the latest thinking on this subject ?

| Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

| Thanks,

| Bob

| ---

| This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus

protection is active.

I find a WARM MIST vaporizer to be helpful.

NOT a cold mist slinger wheel or ultrasonic type, these CREATE dust.

Unfortunalty the warm mist vaporizer that actually boils the water also collects all the minerals inside itself and requires a lot of maintenance. I don't know of a good alternative however.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Discenza wrote:
EPA does not recommend that air ducts be cleaned except on an as-needed basis because of the continuing uncertainty about the benefits of duct cleaning under most circumstances.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airduct.html

Hi,
Years ago CMHC looked into it and released a report. "Not worth it, save
your money" was conclusion. I always use 16x25x5 at least MERV 10 filter
or Honeywell electronic
filter with two sets of elements(one in use, one cleaned and as spare)
Have a big dog and a cat in the house as well. No dust problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| How's this about cold mist vaporizer creating
| dust? I thought matter was neither created nor
| destroyed. Is the dust dissolved in the water?

Perhaps it should be noted that these are two
different topics. The OP was talking about dust,
not humidifiers. Personally I like humidifiers, but I
actually like the damp, moldy quality of humidified
air. With enough humidifying mold or some kind
of fungus grows in the air. To me the dampness
seems to open the lungs and the mold doesn't
bother me, but people with asthma are often
hypersensitive to mold spores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 07:08:06 -0700, wrote:

..snip...

I find a WARM MIST vaporizer to be helpful.

NOT a cold mist slinger wheel or ultrasonic type, these CREATE dust.

Unfortunalty the warm mist vaporizer that actually boils the water also
collects all the minerals inside itself and requires a lot of
maintenance. I don't know of a good alternative however.

Mark

yes, I found increasing the humidity helped keep the mucosa tissues from
drying out too much, made the asthma much easier to deal with. Also, don't
drink helps, even no wine. alcohol dehydrates a person.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 3, 2014 11:00:19 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
| How's this about cold mist vaporizer creating

| dust? I thought matter was neither created nor

| destroyed. Is the dust dissolved in the water?

Perhaps it should be noted that these are two

different topics. The OP was talking about dust,

not humidifiers. Personally I like humidifiers, but I

actually like the damp, moldy quality of humidified

air. With enough humidifying mold or some kind

of fungus grows in the air. To me the dampness

seems to open the lungs and the mold doesn't

bother me, but people with asthma are often

hypersensitive to mold spores.

If you're adding so much humidity so that mold is growing
in the air and you smell it, then I think you're doing something
very wrong. I've had furnaces with humidifiers for years,
kept the humidity at about 40% max which makes a big difference
in comfort, never had any smell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 08:11:30 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/2/2014 7:50 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
That's background. So under insurance claim was allowed to purchase an
electrostatic air cleaner! Fairly expensive too. I put it in the corner
of our bedroom, turned it on, laid down on the bed. After it ran a few
short moments; it literally felt like someone had been sitting on my
chest for years got up and left! The effect was THAT dramatic.

Combine the cleaners with having the ducts
cleaned out, I'd expect some improvement.

My problem turned out to be stuff growing
in the tray of my window AC. I had to take
it all apart, clean it, and clorox it. That
helped, in my case. I also rerouted the
condensate, so it doesn't collect in the
tray any more, it runs dry. I know about
slinger rings, and evaporative cooling for
the condenser, but I prefer not having slime
build up.

If your slinger can't sling slime, you need a slicker slinger.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Now I've got that music going through my
head "if a wood chuck could chuck wood".

Dr. Seuss must be up there laughing is ass
off at me.

I do not have a pressure regulator, I do
not have a problem negator. I do not have a
Pico or a Bove, my thesaurus is a treasure
trove.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2014 7:31 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Family member has been diognosed with mild asthma.
Lives in a house with hot air heating.
House about 30 yrs old.

Was thinking of suggesting that they have the hot air
ducts cleaned out by one of those services that do it.

But, there does not seem to be any kind of agreement as
to whether this is actually a good idea or not.

Counter argument to doing it seems to be that the lint, etc. by now is
pretty well adhered to the duct's wall's, and you are better off to not
disturb it. Just live with whatever comes loose in normal usage, and use
a good furnace filter.

Makes some sense, I guess, but ... ?

What's the latest thinking on this subject ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Aunt Martha had her ducts cleaned. Within a week after the ducts were
cleaned, she passed away. I would not get the ducts cleaned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2014 9:52 PM, Curly Martan wrote:
On 10/2/2014 7:31 PM, Bob wrote:
What's the latest thinking on this subject ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Aunt Martha had her ducts cleaned. Within a week after the ducts were
cleaned, she passed away. I would not get the ducts cleaned.

I'll admit to having accidentally caused my
father's death. He was in the living room in
the hospital bed, and I went to change a light
bulb in the bathroom. I dropped the curly cue
CFL bulb with the mercury. I was going for a
dust pan to clean up the glass. Mom got out the
vac cleaner, and sucked it all into the vac bag,
and then ran a lot more air through the bag with
the vac cleaner. I remarked to Dad that we're all
going to die! and sure enough a few days later,
he's died. Maybe if Mom hadn't sucked all that
mercury into the vac cleaner bag?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2014 7:31 PM, Bob wrote:
What's the latest thinking on this subject ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Aunt Martha had her ducts cleaned. Within a week after the ducts were
cleaned, she passed away. I would not get the ducts cleaned.

I'll admit to having accidentally caused my
father's death. He was in the living room in
the hospital bed, and I went to change a light
bulb in the bathroom. I dropped the curly cue
CFL bulb with the mercury. I was going for a
dust pan to clean up the glass. Mom got out the
vac cleaner, and sucked it all into the vac bag,
and then ran a lot more air through the bag with
the vac cleaner. I remarked to Dad that we're all
going to die! and sure enough a few days later,
he's died. Maybe if Mom hadn't sucked all that
mercury into the vac cleaner bag?

I think I killed my dad too. From talking too much! .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2014 7:41 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
dust pan to clean up the glass. Mom got out the
vac cleaner, and sucked it all into the vac bag,
and then ran a lot more air through the bag with
the vac cleaner. I remarked to Dad that we're all
going to die! and sure enough a few days later,
he's died. Maybe if Mom hadn't sucked all that
mercury into the vac cleaner bag?

I think I killed my dad too. From talking too much! .

Oh, that sounds so traumatic! So, tell
me all about it?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/03/2014 08:52 PM, Curly Martan wrote:
On 10/2/2014 7:31 PM, Bob wrote:

[snip]

Aunt Martha had her ducts cleaned. Within a week after the ducts were
cleaned, she passed away. I would not get the ducts cleaned.

Some washing machines can make you immortal.

Sign in a laundromat, "absolutely no dying in the machines".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Air Furnace / thread drift

On 10/4/2014 10:25 AM, hah wrote:

Aunt Martha had her ducts cleaned. Within a week after the ducts were
cleaned, she passed away. I would not get the ducts cleaned.

Some washing machines can make you immortal.

Sign in a laundromat, "absolutely no dying in the machines".

Laundry in the town where I used to live, had
iolb washing machines. I read the sign, and
can't figure out what an EYE-olb washing machine
is. Years later, I may have figured out, but
not seen the word EYE-olb since then.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 10:49:21 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/4/2014 10:25 AM, hah wrote:

Aunt Martha had her ducts cleaned. Within a week after the ducts were

cleaned, she passed away. I would not get the ducts cleaned.

Some washing machines can make you immortal.

Sign in a laundromat, "absolutely no dying in the machines".

Laundry in the town where I used to live, had

iolb washing machines. I read the sign, and

can't figure out what an EYE-olb washing machine

is. Years later, I may have figured out, but

not seen the word EYE-olb since then.

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus