Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to get rid of fruit flies all over my kitchen

Suddenly, we had fruit flies all over the kitchen, so, we went on a hunt
and found a bag of Costco grapefruits where the lower one was their home.

Throwing out the entire set, we *still* have fruitflies.

We found some infesting a potato, of all things.
But, we still have fruit flies.

It has been about 3 days since we found the grapfruit, and 2 days since
we found the potatoes.

What would you suggest to kill the hundreds of fruit flies flying about?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Dieter Müller wrote:

Suddenly, we had fruit flies all over the kitchen, so, we went on a hunt
and found a bag of Costco grapefruits where the lower one was their home.

Throwing out the entire set, we *still* have fruitflies.

We found some infesting a potato, of all things.
But, we still have fruit flies.

It has been about 3 days since we found the grapfruit, and 2 days since
we found the potatoes.

What would you suggest to kill the hundreds of fruit flies flying about?

ants, spiders and frogs are natural predators of fruit flies
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 03:39:05 +0000 (UTC), Dieter Müller
wrote:

Suddenly, we had fruit flies all over the kitchen, so, we went on a hunt
and found a bag of Costco grapefruits where the lower one was their home.

Throwing out the entire set, we *still* have fruitflies.

We found some infesting a potato, of all things.
But, we still have fruit flies.

It has been about 3 days since we found the grapfruit, and 2 days since
we found the potatoes.

What would you suggest to kill the hundreds of fruit flies flying about?

Didn't they teach us in college biology that fruit flies only last about
3 days? No wait, that was how long it took until the next generation
was born.

Get them to follow you. Leave the house and make a noise like a
grapefruit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:39:05 PM UTC-6, Dieter Müller wrote:
Suddenly, we had fruit flies all over the kitchen, so, we went on a hunt

and found a bag of Costco grapefruits where the lower one was their home.

Throwing out the entire set, we *still* have fruitflies.

We found some infesting a potato, of all things.

But, we still have fruit flies.

It has been about 3 days since we found the grapfruit, and 2 days since

we found the potatoes.

What would you suggest to kill the hundreds of fruit flies flying about?

I use a 2 litre pop bottle. A mixture of fruit juice and diluted white vinegar lures them into the jar and most die there. Also when a number are flying or crawling inside the bottle, I grab it and covering the top, give it a shake or two.

Eventually they will disappear if there is no new source of food available. Keep all meat trays clean before disposal in garbage bags and keep empty pop containers in sealed recycled bin.

Have had previous infestations so have had some experience with the pests.

======

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sky Sky is offline

On 9/30/2014 10:39 PM, Dieter Müller wrote:
Suddenly, we had fruit flies all over the kitchen, so, we went on a hunt
and found a bag of Costco grapefruits where the lower one was their home.

Throwing out the entire set, we *still* have fruitflies.

We found some infesting a potato, of all things.
But, we still have fruit flies.

It has been about 3 days since we found the grapfruit, and 2 days since
we found the potatoes.

What would you suggest to kill the hundreds of fruit flies flying about?

Here's a simple remedy. Get a little glass/container, put about a
1/3-cup of apple cider vinegar (or wine, but that's a waste) in the
little glass and add about 1 or 2 drops of liquid dish detergent to the
vinegar. Set the 'baited' glass where the bugs congregate.

If you have that many of the little buggers flying around, perhaps you
may want to use several little glasses with the vinegar/detergent
solution around the house. Because the soap negates the water surface
tension of the vinegar, those little buggers sink and drown. Works
great, I know, because it's the trick I use when those fruit flies
become pestersome in my home.

Sky

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/30/2014 11:39 PM, Dieter Müller wrote:

What would you suggest to kill the hundreds of fruit flies flying about?

Don't leave food laying around and they'll eventually go away.

Senior Member

Dieter:

Ask any plumber and he'll tell you that a sudden infestation of tiny fruit flies is the result of a broken or cracked drain line from your kitchen sink. What's happening is that the solids that go down your kitchen sink drain are accumulating under the leak or crack, and that rotting putrifaction is the breeding ground for the flies, not the grapefruit nor the potatos.

If it were the grapefruit or potatos, you would have seen a swarm of flies as soon as you found that rotting grape fruit or the rotten potatos.

Get under your kitchen floor and have someone run the water in your kitchen sink and you should find a leak with a pile of rotting organic matter under it and tiny flies all over the place around it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 00:36:07 -0500, Sky
wrote:

Here's a simple remedy. Get a little glass/container, put about a
1/3-cup of apple cider vinegar (or wine, but that's a waste) in the
little glass and add about 1 or 2 drops of liquid dish detergent to the
vinegar. Set the 'baited' glass where the bugs congregate.

If you have that many of the little buggers flying around, perhaps you
may want to use several little glasses with the vinegar/detergent
solution around the house. Because the soap negates the water surface
tension of the vinegar, those little buggers sink and drown. Works
great, I know, because it's the trick I use when those fruit flies
become pestersome in my home.

Sky

I've done the same and it works. Takes a couple of days to be rid of
them all, and eggs may still hatch for a few more days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dieter Müller" wrote in message
Suddenly, we had fruit flies all over the kitchen, so, we went on a hunt
and found a bag of Costco grapefruits where the lower one was their home.

Throwing out the entire set, we *still* have fruitflies.

We found some infesting a potato, of all things.
But, we still have fruit flies.

It has been about 3 days since we found the grapfruit, and 2 days since
we found the potatoes.

What would you suggest to kill the hundreds of fruit flies flying about?

Get a small mouth jar/bottle. Place a lure (mix of frut juice/apple cider/
small amount of vigner) in the bottom with a funnel in the neck.

Flys go in and cant find their way out. When the bottle is full or no
longer attracks flys (quickly) remove the funnel and cap/cork the bottle
then toss.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:06:09 PM UTC-4, NotMe wrote:
"Dieter Müller" wrote in message

Suddenly, we had fruit flies all over the kitchen, so, we went on a hunt

and found a bag of Costco grapefruits where the lower one was their home.

Throwing out the entire set, we *still* have fruitflies.

We found some infesting a potato, of all things.

But, we still have fruit flies.

It has been about 3 days since we found the grapfruit, and 2 days since

we found the potatoes.

What would you suggest to kill the hundreds of fruit flies flying about?

Get a small mouth jar/bottle. Place a lure (mix of frut juice/apple cider/

small amount of vigner) in the bottom with a funnel in the neck.

Flys go in and cant find their way out. When the bottle is full or no

longer attracks flys (quickly) remove the funnel and cap/cork the bottle

then toss.

Red wine works too, if you tend to have same laying around but not apple cider vinegar.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What would you suggest to kill the hundreds of fruit flies flying about?

_Fly Catcher Paper Ribbons_

"Glue fly ribbons attract and trap flies, mosquitoes and other flying
insects".
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sky Sky is offline

On 10/1/2014 1:14 PM, N8N wrote:
[...]

Apple cider vinegar works very well to successfully attract fruit flies
to their ultimate demise and is quite inexpensive when compared to any
red wine. IME, a funnel is never required. Red wine will also work,
but then, that's a waste of wine if it's a good vintage

Sky

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2014 11:56 PM, micky wrote:
Get them to follow you. Leave the
house and make a noise like a
grapefruit.

Pied grapefruit of Hamlin? Gets all
the fruit flies to follow him.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dieter Müller wrote:

What would you suggest to kill the hundreds of fruit flies flying about?

Winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use a windex spray with a few drops of soap and diluted with water,
which knocks them right out of the sky if you get the mist fine enough.

They seem to die in the soapy water, but I can't explain why.

I also use the classic which as others have said, is a bit of over ripe
fruit sticking out of a liquid of either beer, wine, or vinegar.

But the windex spray gets them where they land on surfaces.
I have some pictures of the effect, if anyone is interested.
Member

You can use spray and other devices that most companies are selling to kill these insects. And also these devices help you to permanently protect your kitchen from these flies.
What your stock broker doesn’t want you to see
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:07:20 PM UTC-6, Danny D. wrote:
I use a windex spray with a few drops of soap and diluted with water,

which knocks them right out of the sky if you get the mist fine enough.

They seem to die in the soapy water, but I can't explain why.

I also use the classic which as others have said, is a bit of over ripe

fruit sticking out of a liquid of either beer, wine, or vinegar.

But the windex spray gets them where they land on surfaces.

I have some pictures of the effect, if anyone is interested.

LOL...We don't need any postmortem pictures of dead flies as proof that your method works.

Member

You can also consult with any termite control company they may also help you in this matter that how to control flies in you kitchen and other places in your home.
What your stock broker doesn’t want you to see

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 09:27:45 -0700, Roy wrote:

LOL...We don't need any postmortem pictures of dead flies as proof that
your method works.

I'd like to see what the stuff looks like.

How do you sharpen kitchen fruit peelers? Angel Rodriguez Home Repair 39 July 10th 14 02:17 PM
Fruit flies Matthew.Ridges UK diy 4 September 28th 10 07:24 AM
fruit flies Dave UK diy 16 September 25th 10 07:09 PM
Possibly fruit flies indoors - luring & trapping them? shaz likd Home Repair 21 September 30th 07 02:40 AM
fruit flies coming out of bathroom sink drain Bucky Home Ownership 7 April 24th 06 01:32 AM