Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Burned out timer contact on Whirlpool dryer.

I've already ordered a new timer but, is there away to repair this timer?

http://tinyurl.com/np2pros

I still have the tiny circular copper contact disk. How would someone
adhere it back on if they had to?

Bonus expert question: Why did it burn out??

TIA

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 26, 2014 6:38:07 AM UTC-4, gonjah wrote:
I've already ordered a new timer but, is there away to repair this timer?

http://tinyurl.com/np2pros

I still have the tiny circular copper contact disk. How would someone

adhere it back on if they had to?

Bonus expert question: Why did it burn out??

TIA

Jim

It's toast. They fail because every time it opens and closes, it arcs
a little. Over time, the metal starts to erode. Then instead of having
a very low resistance, the resistance increases. That produces heat,
accelerating the failure. More resistance, more heat, until it fails.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonjah[_3_] View Post
I've already ordered a new timer...
Jim
Can you cancel that order?

Rebuilding appliance timers is a cottage industry. Normally, in every major city there will be several people that rebuild appliance timers in their basements or garages for a fraction of the cost of a new timer. Just phone around to the local appliance parts stores, and the people working there will generally know who, if anyone, rebuilds appliance timers locally.

Alternatively, if there are no local places that do that kind of work, you can send your old timer in to Turner's Timers and have a rebuilt timer sent to you. I'd at least get a price for a rebuilt timer from them before you commit to buying a new timer.

Turners Timer Repair - Appliance Timer Repair Experts

Last edited by nestork : September 26th 14 at 03:02 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

;3288899']

(http://www.turnerstimerrepair.com/)

--

nestork

Great idea. Turner only charges $70 to $130 to fix it, $65 to inspect it.
I'll bet that doesn't compare very favorably with the cost Gonjah paid for
a new one. Things must really, really be different up there in Canada. IDK
of any cottage industry here repairing timers and if you called an
appliance store here, they'd laugh at you. They sell parts, why would they
refer you to some guy rebuilding them in his basement? I can see doing a repair if it's some expensive timer, integrated with something else, etc, but not for the typical dryer timer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gonjah wrote:
I've already ordered a new timer but, is there away to repair this timer?

http://tinyurl.com/np2pros

I still have the tiny circular copper contact disk. How would someone
adhere it back on if they had to?

Bonus expert question: Why did it burn out??

TIA

Jim

Hi,
Maybe it was making a poor contact or misaligned. Used to exchange the timer
assembly with rebuilt one at local parts store but I don't know if they
still do.
Like exchanging car part with old broken core for new or rebuilt unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, September 26, 2014 6:38:07 AM UTC-4, gonjah wrote:
I've already ordered a new timer but, is there away to repair this timer?

http://tinyurl.com/np2pros

I still have the tiny circular copper contact disk. How would someone

adhere it back on if they had to?

Hi,
I'll try to use silver solder?

Bonus expert question: Why did it burn out??

TIA

Jim

It's toast. They fail because every time it opens and closes, it arcs
a little. Over time, the metal starts to erode. Then instead of having
a very low resistance, the resistance increases. That produces heat,
accelerating the failure. More resistance, more heat, until it fails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gonjah wrote:
I've already ordered a new timer but, is there away to repair this timer?

http://tinyurl.com/np2pros

I still have the tiny circular copper contact disk. How would someone
adhere it back on if they had to?

Bonus expert question: Why did it burn out??

TIA

Jim

Hi,
When I tried eBay with keyword "Whirlpool dryer timer" There were many hits.
I usually check eBay first for some thing like this. Last month I came
across a
high end laptop(gaming laptiop) with broken RJ45 jack. I offered 200.00
for it and
the owner agreed. You see as is you can only use Internet using WiFi,
very inconvenient.
I checked eBay to get a exact replacement jack and found one in China.
two for 3.00
free shipping. Taking apart the laptop literally takes about 1 hour to
get at the broken jack. It was filled with cat hair, I could see cat
stumbling across the CAT5 cable buggering up the jack. The jack was
replaced and every thing put back. Now it is a laptop worth almost 1G
just like new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2014 9:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, September 26, 2014 9:47:37 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
'gonjah[_3_ Wrote:

;3288899']

[...]

The new timer was $97 USD. Next time I'll check locally for repairs but
it sounds like replacing it isn't too bad.

Good idea though.

I saved big bucks when the digital display went out on my Prius. The
Dealer wanted $5000 to replace it. I found a rebuilt one for $500 online
and found a great mechanic to do the work too. It ended up costing about
$600 total. My wife was reading Consumer Reports last night and Toyota
recently extended the warranty on the display to 9 years. As usual, I'm
a day late and a dollar short.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gonjah" wrote in message
On 9/26/2014 9:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, September 26, 2014 9:47:37 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
'gonjah[_3_ Wrote:

;3288899']

[...]

why not submit a claim for your out of pocket expenses?

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader_4 View Post
Things must really, really be different up there in Canada. IDK
of any cottage industry here repairing timers and if you called an
appliance store here, they'd laugh at you.
I'm expecting that with the conversion to electronic controls on appliances, the appliance timer repairman is going the way of the TV set repairman. Still, just Google "appliance timer repair" and you'll find lots of places still doing this work.

No, no appliance parts store is going to laugh at you.

What would you do if you had a 8 to 12 year old dryer that needed a new timer? Yeah, you could buy one for $200, but the machine itself isn't worth that much if you wanted to sell it. It might not be worth investing $200 in. This is the kind of scenario where repairing the old timer or buying a rebuilt one for $50 seems like the best solution.

Quote:
They sell parts, why would they
refer you to some guy rebuilding them in his basement?
Because they'll figure they can probably sell you MORE parts if you keep your old dryer running instead of buying a new one.

Quote:
I can see doing a repair if it's some expensive timer, integrated with something else, etc, but not for the typical dryer timer.
Well, Google "appliance timer repair" and you'll find quite a few places online repairing and rebuilding timers for appliances. If people didn't feel that was a practical alternative, those places wouldn't be in business.

Last edited by nestork : September 27th 14 at 12:34 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2014 3:40 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
"gonjah" wrote in message
On 9/26/2014 9:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, September 26, 2014 9:47:37 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
'gonjah[_3_ Wrote:

;3288899']

[...]

My wife said the same thing. I just called up Toyota customer service
and if I jump through a bunch of hoops it just maybe possible.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonjah[_3_] View Post

The new timer was $97 USD. Next time I'll check locally for repairs but it
sounds like replacing it isn't too bad.
Y'know, if you had a soldering gun, you could probably solder that old copper contact disk back in place. If you could use a fold back paper clip or something to hold it in place while you heated it up, you might be able to fix that old timer yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
'gonjah[_3_ Wrote:
;3289141']

The new timer was $97 USD. Next time I'll check locally for repairs but
it
sounds like replacing it isn't too bad.

Y'know, if you had a soldering gun, you could probably solder that old
copper contact disk back in place. If you could use a fold back paper
clip or something to hold it in place while you heated it up, you might
be able to fix that old timer yourself.

Hi,
If that was the only problem. Even one can splice new contact blade in
with soldering.
If there is a will, there is a way. Way back in lolden days Remember
StrogerEMD phone
exhcange system? Rebuilding relays, contacts were routine maintenance
all the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
trader_4;3288990 Wrote:

Things must really, really be different up there in Canada. IDK
of any cottage industry here repairing timers and if you called an
appliance store here, they'd laugh at you.

I'm expecting that if there aren't any people repairing timers in your
area it's because of the prevalence of electronic timers in appliances
over the past 20 years. Nowadays, stove clocks and appliance timers are
all electronic, and they aren't really repaired except by replacement.
There just isn't the demand for this skill anymore, just as it's
comparatively rare to find TV repair shops anymore. It's cheaper to buy
a new modern flat panel TV than have the old TV repaired.

No, no appliance parts store is going to laugh at you. When someone
starts a new business, like repairing appliance timers, the very first
thing they do is bring a stack of their business cards to each of the
appliance parts stores in the city. That way the people working in the
appliance parts stores get to know what services are available locally,
and advise their customers. And those guys behind the counter get paid
the same regardless whether they sell an extra timer or not, so they
really have no incentive NOT to tell customers that need new timers that
their old ones can be rebuilt.

If you go into any welding supply shop in Winnipeg, you'll see business
cards from people who rebuild pressure regulators for oxyacetylene gas
cutting and brazing.

I can see doing a repair if it's some expensive timer, integrated with
something else, etc, but not for the typical dryer timer.

Well, Google "appliance timer repair" and you'll find quite a few places
online repairing and rebuilding timers for typical dryers, typical
washers, and typical dish washers. If people didn't feel that was a
practical alternative, those places wouldn't be in business.

Besides, there are new appliances where you can justify paying $300 for
a new timer. And there are old appliance where the clear choice is to
buy a new appliance. And there is that large number of appliance that
fall in between where you can justify paying less than $100 to repair
the machine's timer, and that's the niche that appliance timer repair
shops cater to.

Hi,
As an addendum to this, there is an outfit in NYC who repairs Logitech
remote controls for flat fee. One of my remote, Harmony 800 had vol. up
switch
got sticky real bad. Repair cost was 13.99 plus S&H. When it came back
it worked like new, I sold it for 70.00 bought a Harmony One for 90.00,
LOL!.

Posted to alt.home.repair

if its a repetive failure have the contact control a nice heavy duty relay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 27, 2014 9:41:35 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:28:43 AM UTC-4, BenDarrenBach wrote:

On Friday, September 26, 2014 5:38:07 AM UTC-5, gonjah wrote:

I've already ordered a new timer but, is there away to repair this timer?

http://tinyurl.com/np2pros

I still have the tiny circular copper contact disk. How would someone

adhere it back on if they had to?

Bonus expert question: Why did it burn out??

TIA

Jim

You can buy tungsten contacts. http://uk.alibaba.com/product/913892...ten-strip.html

What do you do with the other 9,999? Suppose I need more than 45mil a month?

You felt it necessary to reply with that remark? It was to show they are available, idiot. I may even have some I can send him!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 27, 2014 2:57:53 PM UTC-4, BenDarrenBach wrote:
On Saturday, September 27, 2014 9:41:35 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:28:43 AM UTC-4, BenDarrenBach wrote:

On Friday, September 26, 2014 5:38:07 AM UTC-5, gonjah wrote:

I've already ordered a new timer but, is there away to repair this timer?

http://tinyurl.com/np2pros

I still have the tiny circular copper contact disk. How would someone

adhere it back on if they had to?

Bonus expert question: Why did it burn out??

TIA

Jim

You can buy tungsten contacts. http://uk.alibaba.com/product/913892...ten-strip.html

What do you do with the other 9,999? Suppose I need more than 45mil a month?

You felt it necessary to reply with that remark? It was to show they are available, idiot. I may even have some I can send him!

Yes, I thought it was appropriate. It raised into question the practicality of
the given advice. I presume if you could buy one down at Radio Shack,
you wouldn't be posting a link to China for an industrial source for 45
mil a month. And that doesn't even get into finding one that is the exact
right size, nor how in the hell you're going to rivet the new contact
into place either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

....it looks like one point/blade is burns through...so he would need an actual set of points. I should have looked closer at his timer link picture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 27, 2014 2:29:26 PM UTC-5, BenDarrenBach wrote:
...it looks like one point/blade is burns through...so he would need an actual set of points. I should have looked closer at his timer link picture.

"burned through"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good answer

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good answer !
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 13:12:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Good answer

It was... 2-1/2 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/28/2017 03:12 PM, wrote: