Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Dryer Help....it burned!

My gf was using the dryer tonight, and all of a sudden I smelled something burning.

So I opened the dryer door and smoke came out!

I went to get her, and we checked out the clothes and they were HOT!!
This was a minute later, but the clothes were still very hot.

So it seems like the dryer is broken.

What could be wrong with it...
Is there a temp. gauge? Maybe thats what is broken.

Is that a easy fix? Who do I call?

Thanks!
Tom

Is that a easy fix? Who do I call?

Thanks!

First thing I would check is the vent. A buildup of lint can cause a
temp buildup and fire. Beyond that it can get more complicated but
nothing is difficult to replace on a dryer.
Don Phillipson

"T" wrote in message
om...

I went to get her, and we checked out the clothes and they were HOT!!
This was a minute later, but the clothes were still very hot.

Your clothes dryer has
-- a heating element
-- heater control (thermostat)
-- air exhaust vent (to remove hot damp air.)
One of these has malfunctioned.
If you cannot tell which, call a serviceman
for this particular brand.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

On 30 Aug 2004 19:38:16 -0700, someone wrote:

Is there a temp. gauge? Maybe thats what is broken.

Dude, do you see a temp gauge anywhere? A gauge would just give you a
reading on what the temp is. You already know the temp is too high.
Do you really need a gauge to tell you that?

Who to call? Call Bob. Or Jim. Let your fingers do the walking, I
don't know who is listed in your local yellow pages under appliance
repairs.

-v.
Norm

"T" wrote

Who do I call?

Thanks!

Try your landscaper, if they won't do it try your auto mechanic. You get
the picture, common sense comes into play for who to call for dryer help.

Christopher Green

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message ...
"T" wrote in message
om...

I went to get her, and we checked out the clothes and they were HOT!!
This was a minute later, but the clothes were still very hot.

Your clothes dryer has
-- a heating element
-- heater control (thermostat)
-- air exhaust vent (to remove hot damp air.)
One of these has malfunctioned.
If you cannot tell which, call a serviceman
for this particular brand.

Another possibility is that it is a belt-drive model, and the belt is
slipping or the drum is seized. If left unattended this way, it will
smoke the belt and heat up the drum.

--
Chris Green