beekay

Default Dryer thermostat burned up

Hi,

My Kenmore/Whirlpool electric dryer recently burned up the high heat-sensing
thermostat (the one attached to the side of the heating element). One of the
wires blackened, and the connector attachment disintegrated, as if from
arcing. I replaced the heating element itself about a year ago, so I'm not
sure the two events are related. It's an old dryer. Is there more to worry
about here, or is it likely that this could have happened from "old age" and
normal processes.

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

Appliance Repair Aid

beekay wrote:
Hi,

My Kenmore/Whirlpool electric dryer recently burned up the high heat-sensing
thermostat (the one attached to the side of the heating element). One of the
wires blackened, and the connector attachment disintegrated, as if from
arcing. I replaced the heating element itself about a year ago, so I'm not
sure the two events are related. It's an old dryer. Is there more to worry
about here, or is it likely that this could have happened from "old age" and
normal processes.

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

Hi,

A couple of things....always clean/check the venting system when you
have a dryer problem, esp with a burnt out element or burnt safety
thermostat.
Usually/often the contact inside the thermostat get burnt and this
heats up the wire and the wire burns off. Replace the wire and
thermostat and you should be good

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Stormin Mormon

More likely to a clogged vent, keeping the heat in.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.