Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door springs replacement

The (non-torsion-type) springs on my garage door have never been
replaced since I bought the house about 25 years ago. I'd like to
replace them before I'm forced to.

In looking around the net it appears that springs these days are color
coded on the ends and that people replace the springs with ones with
the same color code. Mine have no color code - maybe the codes didn't
come about until more recently, or maybe it's rusted off... so how can
I determine the proper springs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:44:20 -0400, Nil
wrote:

The (non-torsion-type) springs on my garage door have never been
replaced since I bought the house about 25 years ago. I'd like to
replace them before I'm forced to.

In looking around the net it appears that springs these days are color
coded on the ends and that people replace the springs with ones with
the same color code. Mine have no color code - maybe the codes didn't
come about until more recently, or maybe it's rusted off... so how can
I determine the proper springs?

I think what you mean is you have "extension springs" on a cable. I've
not seen one color coded or painted. You can add a safety feature so
they don break and hit you; causing serious injury. Do you have that
safety feature?

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/springs/garage-door-springs.php#extension

Basically an anchor for the flying cable / pieces.

_Extension Spring Tutorials_

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instructions/#extension
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Or perhaps he has a "stanley barry style" 1 peice "up and over" door
wiith tension springs on the lever arms. Were VERY common here in
Canada up untill about a decade ago when safety regulations pretty
well killed them. Still the simplest door operation of any overhead
door as far as I'm concerned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The (non-torsion-type) springs on my garage door have never been
replaced since I bought the house about 25 years ago. I'd like to
replace them before I'm forced to.

In looking around the net it appears that springs these days are
color coded on the ends and that people replace the springs with
ones with the same color code. Mine have no color code - maybe the
codes didn't come about until more recently, or maybe it's rusted
off... so how can I determine the proper springs?

I think what you mean is you have "extension springs" on a cable.
I've not seen one color coded or painted. You can add a safety
feature so they don break and hit you; causing serious injury. Do
you have that safety feature?

Yes, "extension springs". They do come color coded, with the end loops
painted. This site shows some examples. That would make ordering the
springs much simpler.

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/springs/ga....php#extension

Basically an anchor for the flying cable / pieces.

_Extension Spring Tutorials_

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instructions/#extension

They feature a guide to figuring out the springs. It looks easy enough
except I have to weigh my heavy wooden door, which will be difficult.
I'll have to borrow a good scale.

Thanks for the pointer to the site. It seems to have the info I need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 16:17:42 -0400, Nil
wrote:

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instructions/#extension

They feature a guide to figuring out the springs. It looks easy enough
except I have to weigh my heavy wooden door, which will be difficult.
I'll have to borrow a good scale.

_ Weighing Garage Doors_

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instructions/#weigh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BTqq0-GFJg

Thanks for the pointer to the site. It seems to have the info I need.

You're welcome.
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi,
No bath room scale?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Sep 2014, Tony Hwang wrote in
alt.home.repair:

No bath room scale?

Yes, but it's digital with a glass top. They recommend an analog scale.

I may try mine anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have some means of measuring the diameter of the wire used to make the coil spring, that along with the number of turns on the coil itself should allow you to get the correct replacement. Good idea to replace after 25 years or more life. When you put in the new springs, I highly recommend the use of a cable running down the middle of the spring that is tethered to something substantial to prevent the spring pieces from doing serious damage if it should break at some time in the future. The internet has lots of views under garage door spring safety.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:15:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
If you have some means of measuring the diameter of the wire used to make the coil spring, that along with the number of turns on the coil itself should allow you to get the correct replacement. Good idea to replace after 25 years or more life. When you put in the new springs, I highly recommend the use of a cable running down the middle of the spring that is tethered to something substantial to prevent the spring pieces from doing serious damage if it should break at some time in the future. The internet has lots of views under garage door spring safety.

Good points here...but also measure the diameter of the coil. In my experience these springs break at the end loops...I've taken the old loop and run it into the spring and held it with a cable clamp (to keep it from sliding off). It is only a slight overstretch...and I haven't had any come off. (use at your own discretion)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 21, 2014 4:50:32 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 21 Sep 2014, Tony Hwang wrote in

alt.home.repair:

No bath room scale?

Yes, but it's digital with a glass top. They recommend an analog scale.

I may try mine anyway.

If it were me, I'd just add a safety cable so that if the spring breaks some
day, it won't go flying. What you have may be better than the made in China
crap that you're probably going to replace it with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2014 8:45 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, September 21, 2014 4:50:32 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 21 Sep 2014, Tony Hwang wrote in

[snip]
I may try mine anyway.

If it were me, I'd just add a safety cable so that if the spring breaks some
day, it won't go flying. What you have may be better than the made in China
crap that you're probably going to replace it with.

Am I missing something here (not all that unlikelyg), but I thought we
were talking torsion springs... If so, what is the purpose of a safety
cable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:48:03 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

If it were me, I'd just add a safety cable so that if the spring breaks some
day, it won't go flying. What you have may be better than the made in China
crap that you're probably going to replace it with.

Am I missing something here (not all that unlikelyg), but I thought we
were talking torsion springs... If so, what is the purpose of a safety
cable?

Nope, this thread is about "extension springs"
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/21/2014 1:44 PM, Nil wrote:
The (non-torsion-type) springs on my garage door have never been
replaced since I bought the house about 25 years ago. I'd like to
replace them before I'm forced to.

Why? If you want to go thru the exercise to size and have a spare on
hand, that's about as far as I'd go.

The car garage doors here were replaced with fiberglass doors
(Reynor???) some 40 yr ago and only one of the four has been replaced so
far. One or more of the other three may eventually go in my lifetime,
but I see no reason to do anything prior to that happening.

Maybe since you don't have a color-coded set go thru the exercise of
sizing perhaps, but why replace something that's still functional and
may be so for another 20 yr?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 22, 2014 9:48:03 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 9/22/2014 8:45 AM, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, September 21, 2014 4:50:32 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:

On 21 Sep 2014, Tony Hwang wrote in

[snip]

I may try mine anyway.

If it were me, I'd just add a safety cable so that if the spring breaks some

day, it won't go flying. What you have may be better than the made in China

crap that you're probably going to replace it with.

Am I missing something here (not all that unlikelyg), but I thought we

were talking torsion springs... If so, what is the purpose of a safety

cable?

I guess you are missing something:

"The (non-torsion-type) springs on my garage door "

"An extension spring on each side."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2014 9:27 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, September 22, 2014 9:48:03 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 9/22/2014 8:45 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

Am I missing something here (not all that unlikelyg), but I thought we

were talking torsion springs... If so, what is the purpose of a safety

cable?

I guess you are missing something:

"The (non-torsion-type) springs on my garage door"

"An extension spring on each side."

Mea culpa... I did miss it. Two very similar subject lines for closely
related topic. My bad!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Sep 2014, dpb wrote in alt.home.repair:

Why? If you want to go thru the exercise to size and have a spare
on hand, that's about as far as I'd go.

I want to put safety cables within the springs. In order to do that, I
have to remove the springs, at which point I might as well put new
springs on. Seems to me that 25-plus years is a more than reasonable
lifespan for such things. Most things I've read say they should last
about 10 years or so. Also, my springs look a little stretched out to
me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Sep 2014, Unquestionably Confused
wrote in alt.home.repair:

Mea culpa... I did miss it. Two very similar subject lines for
closely related topic. My bad!

It was the other thread that made me start thinking about my issue
again. Maybe I should have titled my thread more differently than his.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Sep 2014, trader_4 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

If it were me, I'd just add a safety cable so that if the spring
breaks some day, it won't go flying. What you have may be better
than the made in China crap that you're probably going to replace
it with.

I didn't mention it, but my question started when I was looking to
install safety cables. I figured that while I was there I might as well
do the whole thing.

Do you really think new springs could be significantly worse than the
old ones? They're just steel springs. What could go wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 22, 2014 1:31:13 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 22 Sep 2014, trader_4 wrote in

alt.home.repair:

If it were me, I'd just add a safety cable so that if the spring

breaks some day, it won't go flying. What you have may be better

than the made in China crap that you're probably going to replace

it with.

I didn't mention it, but my question started when I was looking to

install safety cables. I figured that while I was there I might as well

do the whole thing.

Do you really think new springs could be significantly worse than the

old ones? They're just steel springs. What could go wrong?

Well, the 25 year old ones might have been made in the USA and the
new ones might be made in some schlock factory in China, using some
cheap crappy steel. It wouldn't be the first thing where I've seen
old parts last forever and new parts fail quickly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 22, 2014 1:25:51 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 22 Sep 2014, dpb wrote in alt.home.repair:

Why? If you want to go thru the exercise to size and have a spare

on hand, that's about as far as I'd go.

I want to put safety cables within the springs. In order to do that, I

have to remove the springs, at which point I might as well put new

springs on.

Ahh.... Now I see where you're going wrong. You don't need to remove
the springs to put safety cables on. The cable just runs up the inside
of the spring and the two ends get fastened to the door track and hangers.
If it were true that you needed to remove them, then it would make more
sense to replace them, because you have them off already.

Seems to me that 25-plus years is a more than reasonable

lifespan for such things. Most things I've read say they should last

about 10 years or so. Also, my springs look a little stretched out to

me.

I agree there is some merit to the replacement strategy too. It's up
to you.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/22/2014 1:28 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, September 22, 2014 1:25:51 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:

I want to put safety cables within the springs. In order to do that, I
have to remove the springs, at which point I might as well put new
springs on.

Ahh.... Now I see where you're going wrong. You don't need to remove
the springs to put safety cables on. The cable just runs up the inside
of the spring and the two ends get fastened to the door track and hangers.

+1
That's making work that doesn't need to be done to address the immediate
issue...

Seems to me that 25-plus years is a more than reasonable
lifespan for such things. Most things I've read say they should last
about 10 years or so. Also, my springs look a little stretched out to
me.

I agree there is some merit to the replacement strategy too. It's up
to you.

Agreed on "his choice" but I see no reason to replace until either they
don't perform the function because they have lost tension (not likely
ime) or when they do finally break.

I've one that broke right at the formed hook, lost no turns so I simply
refastened the end. That's been at least 10 yr now, probably a few more
than that as it was not too long after we returned to the farm which was
in '99/2000 time frame...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:31:13 -0400, Nil
wrote:

On 22 Sep 2014, trader_4 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

If it were me, I'd just add a safety cable so that if the spring
breaks some day, it won't go flying. What you have may be better
than the made in China crap that you're probably going to replace
it with.

I didn't mention it, but my question started when I was looking to
install safety cables. I figured that while I was there I might as well
do the whole thing.

Do you really think new springs could be significantly worse than the
old ones? They're just steel springs. What could go wrong?

With poor metaality oontrol what could NOT go wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 22 Sep 2014, trader_4 wrote in

alt.home.repair:

If it were me, I'd just add a safety cable so that if the spring

breaks some day, it won't go flying. What you have may be better

than the made in China crap that you're probably going to replace

it with.

I didn't mention it, but my question started when I was looking to

install safety cables. I figured that while I was there I might as well

do the whole thing.

Do you really think new springs could be significantly worse than the

old ones? They're just steel springs. What could go wrong?

With poor metaality oontrol what could NOT go wrong.

Apparently a lot went wrong with your last post.

Two kinds of garage door springs JoeSpareBedroom Home Repair 26 March 23rd 08 05:16 PM
Garage Door Springs jeff37 Home Repair 5 September 10th 07 05:28 PM
Garage door extention springs Brian V Home Repair 6 January 1st 07 10:52 PM
Garage Door Springs Daryl Home Repair 16 February 15th 06 07:15 PM
Garage door torsion springs. Rich Home Repair 24 October 11th 04 11:40 AM