Posted to alt.home.repair
Daryl

Default Garage Door Springs

I've got a Gadco Therm-o-Air garage door in need of a new set of
springs. It's a single car 8x7 door.
Does anyone know the weight of the door and what capacity springs
should be used?

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

You can order custom made springs based on it's dimensional specifications
at:
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/springs.html

--
====================================
Garage Door Parts, LLC

"Daryl" wrote in message
I've got a Gadco Therm-o-Air garage door in need of a new set of
springs. It's a single car 8x7 door.
Does anyone know the weight of the door and what capacity springs
should be used?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:58:14 -0500, Daryl
wrote:

I've got a Gadco Therm-o-Air garage door in need of a new set of
springs. It's a single car 8x7 door.
Does anyone know the weight of the door and what capacity springs
should be used?

They can't be adjusted?

Did the person who said thyey can't be adjusted know what set of
springs would replace them?

TIA

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Elliott Plack

Do you sell the activation buttons on your site?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote:

I've got a Gadco Therm-o-Air garage door in need of a new set of
springs. It's a single car 8x7 door.
Does anyone know the weight of the door and what capacity springs
should be used?

They can't be adjusted?

Did the person who said thyey can't be adjusted know what set of
springs would replace them?

How do you adjust a coil spring that is stretched or broken?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Daryl

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 04:20:37 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I've got a Gadco Therm-o-Air garage door in need of a new set of
springs. It's a single car 8x7 door.
Does anyone know the weight of the door and what capacity springs
should be used?

They can't be adjusted?

Did the person who said thyey can't be adjusted know what set of
springs would replace them?

How do you adjust a coil spring that is stretched or broken?

My point exactly. The springs are stretched - cannot be adjusted. I
need to REPLACE.

I need to know what capacity spring to purchase.

I weighed the door. Removed the springs and lowered onto a scale. It
registered 80 pounds and I'm skeptical. Could a door be that light?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 04:20:37 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I've got a Gadco Therm-o-Air garage door in need of a new set of
springs. It's a single car 8x7 door.
Does anyone know the weight of the door and what capacity springs
should be used?

They can't be adjusted?

Did the person who said thyey can't be adjusted know what set of
springs would replace them?

How do you adjust a coil spring that is stretched or broken?

It might be hard or impossible to do, but he didn't say they were
stretched or broken.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"mm" wrote in message

It might be hard or impossible to do, but he didn't say they were
stretched or broken.

That is pretty much all that goes wrong with a coil spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Daryl writes:

Does anyone know the weight of the door and what capacity springs
should be used?

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

8x7 GADCO Thermal door's springs are 25 x 42 x 80# you can get them at:
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/extension-springs.html

====================================
Garage Door Parts, LLC
973-472-4818

"Daryl" wrote in message
I've got a Gadco Therm-o-Air garage door in need of a new set of
springs. It's a single car 8x7 door.
Does anyone know the weight of the door and what capacity springs
should be used?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

Yes, we sell remote controls etc.

--
====================================
Garage Door Parts, LLC
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com
====================================

"Elliott Plack" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you sell the activation buttons on your site?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

"Daryl" wrote in message
I've got a Gadco Therm-o-Air garage door in need of a new set of
springs. It's a single car 8x7 door.
Does anyone know the weight of the door and what capacity springs
should be used?

TIA

Home Depot has generic garage door springs. I have a Holmes one piece 16 X 8
and had no problem finding springs there.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

wrote:

I've got a Gadco Therm-o-Air garage door in need of a new set of
springs. It's a single car 8x7 door.
Does anyone know the weight of the door and what capacity springs
should be used?

TIA

If you plan on doing this job yourself... I have a friend who lost
his thumb fussing with a garage spring. Personally, I hire a garage
door mechanic. A good mechanic will use the proper spring and
tension. Expect a garage spring to break after 8,000 uses.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Daryl wrote:
I've got a Gadco Therm-o-Air garage door in need of a new set of
springs. It's a single car 8x7 door.
Does anyone know the weight of the door and what capacity springs
should be used?

TIA

Assuming your door uses extension springs and not torsion springs.....

When I needed to buy a new pair of springs for one of our single width
hollow core wood doors I let down the remaining unbroken spring and
measured the weight of the door by lowering it onto a bathroom scale.

Then I went to Sears and bought a pair of springs rated closest to the
weight I'd measured.

Worked just fine, but I did need a bit of assistance from another guy to
be able to handle moving the door up and down when the springs were
disconnected.

Oh, and if you don't already have safety cables running through the
springs to keep them from flailing around if they break, do so PLEASE.
You can buy them at Sears and their paltry price is well worth their
safety value.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Elliott Plack

Sorry to be so ambiguous, I was in a rush. I meant to ask if you sell
the buttons that you have mounted next to the door that are hard wired
to the operator. Let me know, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

Any type of common door bell button found at just about any hardware store
will work.

Rich
====================================
Garage Door Parts, LLC
973-472-4818
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com
====================================

"Elliott Plack" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry to be so ambiguous, I was in a rush. I meant to ask if you sell
the buttons that you have mounted next to the door that are hard wired
to the operator. Let me know, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Phisherman writes:

Expect a garage spring to break after 8,000 uses.

Standard (that is, cheap) springs are expected to yield 10,000 cycles.

Installing heavier springs gets you 50,000 or 100,000 for a little more
money.