Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil[_3_] Nil[_3_] is offline

Default Garage door springs replacement

On 21 Sep 2014, Oren wrote in alt.home.repair:

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:44:20 -0400, Nil
wrote:

The (non-torsion-type) springs on my garage door have never been
replaced since I bought the house about 25 years ago. I'd like to
replace them before I'm forced to.

In looking around the net it appears that springs these days are
color coded on the ends and that people replace the springs with
ones with the same color code. Mine have no color code - maybe the
codes didn't come about until more recently, or maybe it's rusted
off... so how can I determine the proper springs?

I think what you mean is you have "extension springs" on a cable.
I've not seen one color coded or painted. You can add a safety
feature so they don break and hit you; causing serious injury. Do
you have that safety feature?

Yes, "extension springs". They do come color coded, with the end loops
painted. This site shows some examples. That would make ordering the
springs much simpler.

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/springs/ga....php#extension

Basically an anchor for the flying cable / pieces.

_Extension Spring Tutorials_

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instructions/#extension

They feature a guide to figuring out the springs. It looks easy enough
except I have to weigh my heavy wooden door, which will be difficult.
I'll have to borrow a good scale.

Thanks for the pointer to the site. It seems to have the info I need.