Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much of this pole should be below ground?

Over by the dog walk area, I found my n'hood dog poop bag dispenser
knocked over and broken into pieces, probably by a truck.

I don't have a dog, but I can fix it without much trouble.

It has a metal box to dispense plastic bags, and a metal cylinder with a
bunch of holes (to save weight?) to accept used bags, and the whole
thing is mounted to a metal pole.

The cross section of the metal pole is like an omega except with no
curves, just right angles
__
_| |_

I don't know what this kind of post is called. What???

It has a hole every inch or two and is designed to snap off at the hole,
which it did.

When I pound it into the ground again, how deep should it go into the
ground?????

It was probably about 5 feet tall before, but it doesn't have to be any
particular height.

The box that holds the empty bags weighs very little but the cylinder
seems heavier, 5 or 10 pounds?. Plus the weight of all that poop,
although much of it seems to be candy bar wrappers, paper cups, etc.
makes 8 or 12 pounds? Plus 2 pounds for the box and whatever the post
itself weighs.

There are two lengths bolted together now. If you tell me what the post
is called, I might consider buying a replacement bottom piece to make it
the same height, but I'd still need to know how much to pound into the
ground.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 1:52:01 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
Over by the dog walk area, I found my n'hood dog poop bag dispenser

knocked over and broken into pieces, probably by a truck.

I don't have a dog, but I can fix it without much trouble.

It has a metal box to dispense plastic bags, and a metal cylinder with a

bunch of holes (to save weight?) to accept used bags, and the whole

thing is mounted to a metal pole.

The cross section of the metal pole is like an omega except with no

curves, just right angles

__

_| |_

I don't know what this kind of post is called. What???

Fence post

It has a hole every inch or two and is designed to snap off at the hole,

which it did.

When I pound it into the ground again, how deep should it go into the

ground?????

Partly depends on how firm the ground is. And sometimes the ground gets
so hard beyond a certain depth that you just can't drive it any further.
Also depends on what it has to hold. Two feet is probably OK for a light
load, more would be better.

It was probably about 5 feet tall before, but it doesn't have to be any

particular height.

The box that holds the empty bags weighs very little but the cylinder

seems heavier, 5 or 10 pounds?. Plus the weight of all that poop,

although much of it seems to be candy bar wrappers, paper cups, etc.

makes 8 or 12 pounds? Plus 2 pounds for the box and whatever the post

itself weighs.

Plus you have people pulling on it, shaking, it, etc. I'd definitely
try for more than 2 ft.

There are two lengths bolted together now. If you tell me what the post

is called, I might consider buying a replacement bottom piece to make it

the same height, but I'd still need to know how much to pound into the

ground.

Thanks.

The bolted together part was probably done so that they could set the
final height independent of how far they drive it in. (see part about
how sometimes the ground gets so hard you can't drive it any farther).

HD, hardware stores etc should have the fence post. HD it's usually
outside in the garden supplies area where they have fence stuff.

An easier option would be to just report it to the town or whoever
has responsibility for the thing, no?
Senior Member

The standard for fence posts is 1/3 of the length in the ground, 2/3 of the length above ground. But, the post would be sturdier if you increased that ratio a bit, to perhaps 40 percent in the ground and 60 percent above ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 15:05:29 +0200, nestork
wrote:

The standard for fence posts is 1/3 of the length in the ground, 2/3 of
the length above ground. But, the post would be sturdier if you
increased that ratio a bit, to perhaps 40 percent in the ground and 60
percent above ground.

Thanks. I thought it would be less for a post with so little load and so
small a hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 04:24:59 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

When I pound it into the ground again, how deep should it go into the

ground?????

Partly depends on how firm the ground is. And sometimes the ground gets
so hard beyond a certain depth that you just can't drive it any further.
Also depends on what it has to hold. Two feet is probably OK for a light
load, more would be better.

I can probably get 2' from what is there now, though people will have to
figure out that they need to bend over. But I''ll look for matching
post.

It was probably about 5 feet tall before, but it doesn't have to be any

particular height.

The box that holds the empty bags weighs very little but the cylinder

seems heavier, 5 or 10 pounds?. Plus the weight of all that poop,

although much of it seems to be candy bar wrappers, paper cups, etc.

makes 8 or 12 pounds? Plus 2 pounds for the box and whatever the post

itself weighs.

Plus you have people pulling on it, shaking, it, etc. I'd definitely
try for more than 2 ft.

I think that's very little. The bags pull out with almost no force, the
lid for the bottom part they might let flop open and then slam shut, but
even that isn't much since the lid is not very heavy. And they probably
avoid any other contact because of the bags of poop. I know I sure did.

The bolted together part was probably done so that they could set the
final height independent of how far they drive it in. (see part about
how sometimes the ground gets so hard you can't drive it any farther).

HD, hardware stores etc should have the fence post. HD it's usually
outside in the garden supplies area where they have fence stuff.

An easier option would be to just report it to the town or whoever
has responsibility for the thing, no?

The HOA put it up and is responsible. No one else, just about, who
actually lives here seems to have any mechanical ability, and I suspect
the management company of taking kickbacks or at the very least bad
choices. I've also been a pain in the neck to the HOA lately, so this
might make up for that. Although the president didn't call me back last
night, and I don't know who is now in charge of the right committee.
OTOH, I said to call me back if someone else was going to do it, so
silence might be all I need. It will only take an hour or less. The
cylinder is ripped from the post but it has spare holes. (and one
plastic bag that holds all the other used plastic bags.)

I would have done more of this stuff before, but until 6 months ago, we
had an obnoxious president that I avoided. This one is nice.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The standard for fence posts is 1/3 of the length in the ground, 2/3 of
the length above ground. But, the post would be sturdier if you
increased that ratio a bit, to perhaps 40 percent in the ground and 60
percent above ground.

Thanks. I thought it would be less for a post with so little load and so
small a hole.

Well, I went to HD and this one has no fence supplies at all, and I went
looking for another hardware store and couldn't find it.

So I just used the old post and made the whole thing shorter. (There's
another one where the cylinder sits on the ground.)

I think the reason the post was in two pieces is that it would
originally been over 7 feet tall otherwise and would have required
lifting the sledge way above one's head.

(I see it ships with two 4-foot poles, The other reasons is to take up
less space in storage, and the factoriy and in stores, and make shipping
easier. )

The cylinder had 3 holes tat the top and 3 at the bottom, 2 of them
oblong, easy to find two holes to attach with. The bag dispenser had
two holes 6" apart. But, and I didn't notice this when I was taking
the tthing apart, the sign at the top had its two holes 4.4 inches apart
or so, so the sign had to bulge out when screwed to the metal post with
holes every inch.

This company makes it and this looks like it
http://www.crownproductsonline.com/pp-sd-01-hgr.html
except for the sand and the ocean. We don't have that.

It has some device, not apparent in the picture, where you can see right
through the cyclinder without any plastic bag in the way, that does a
good job of holding the big plastic bag in place.

I think they charge extra for the ocean.

How to run outdoor electrical lines from pole to pole - What's required [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 1st 07 05:00 AM
4 pole to 3 pole Extension Cord. [email protected] Home Repair 14 January 5th 07 07:16 PM
Single pole or double pole? F UK diy 3 June 27th 06 11:42 PM
Light switch 3 pole and 2 pole helpme Home Repair 11 February 13th 06 11:57 PM
AC shaded pole single phase induction pole motor [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 April 29th 05 03:37 AM