Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How much of this pole should be below ground?

Over by the dog walk area, I found my n'hood dog poop bag dispenser
knocked over and broken into pieces, probably by a truck.

I don't have a dog, but I can fix it without much trouble.

It has a metal box to dispense plastic bags, and a metal cylinder with a
bunch of holes (to save weight?) to accept used bags, and the whole
thing is mounted to a metal pole.

The cross section of the metal pole is like an omega except with no
curves, just right angles
__
_| |_

I don't know what this kind of post is called. What???

It has a hole every inch or two and is designed to snap off at the hole,
which it did.

When I pound it into the ground again, how deep should it go into the
ground?????

It was probably about 5 feet tall before, but it doesn't have to be any
particular height.

The box that holds the empty bags weighs very little but the cylinder
seems heavier, 5 or 10 pounds?. Plus the weight of all that poop,
although much of it seems to be candy bar wrappers, paper cups, etc.
makes 8 or 12 pounds? Plus 2 pounds for the box and whatever the post
itself weighs.

There are two lengths bolted together now. If you tell me what the post
is called, I might consider buying a replacement bottom piece to make it
the same height, but I'd still need to know how much to pound into the
ground.

Thanks.