Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Battery-powered chainsaws...

Anybody here any experience with same?

Use only for the trimming on occasion and can be long intervals between
usage. Hence, tend to have difficulties keeping gas going--just last
week it started acting up yet again after a few cuts. So, now got to
rework carb or whatever is the issue keeping it from running well presently.

Wondered how well they tend to do...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Are you referring to saws powered from your 12 volt car battery or
something else?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Anybody here any experience with same?

Use only for the trimming on occasion and can be long intervals between
usage. Hence, tend to have difficulties keeping gas going--just last week
it started acting up yet again after a few cuts. So, now got to rework
carb or whatever is the issue keeping it from running well presently.

Wondered how well they tend to do...

I use gas powered chain saws. But I also bought an arborist blade for my
cordless reciprocating saw, and I LOVE it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/29/2014 1:13 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

Are you referring to saws powered from your 12 volt car battery or
something else?

Something else...Oregon's entry, there are several others, some with
twice the AH battery capacity and up to 16" bars...

http://oregoncordless.com/product/chain-saw-cs250/

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/29/2014 1:44 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
wrote in message ...
Anybody here any experience with same?

Use only for the trimming on occasion and can be long intervals between
usage. Hence, tend to have difficulties keeping gas going--just last week
it started acting up yet again after a few cuts. So, now got to rework
carb or whatever is the issue keeping it from running well presently.

Wondered how well they tend to do...

I use gas powered chain saws. But I also bought an arborist blade for my
cordless reciprocating saw, and I LOVE it.

Have always had gas chain saw too but I'm getting older and find the
constant working on it means it tends to stay even longer between uses
because I figure it'll have to have something done so don't bother...

Don't have the cordless recip saw...altho an idea although I'd like
something for up to 8" or so...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
Anybody here any experience with same?

Use only for the trimming on occasion and can be long intervals between
usage. Hence, tend to have difficulties keeping gas going--just last
week
it started acting up yet again after a few cuts. So, now got to rework
carb or whatever is the issue keeping it from running well presently.

Wondered how well they tend to do...

I use gas powered chain saws. But I also bought an arborist blade for my
cordless reciprocating saw, and I LOVE it.

Have always had gas chain saw too but I'm getting older and find the
constant working on it means it tends to stay even longer between uses
because I figure it'll have to have something done so don't bother...

Don't have the cordless recip saw...altho an idea although I'd like
something for up to 8" or so...

--

Interesting but that price and $100 battery for infrequently used tool
would bother me. How about a corded model?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:59:38 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 08/29/2014 1:13 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

Are you referring to saws powered from your 12 volt car battery or
something else?

Something else...Oregon's entry, there are several others, some with
twice the AH battery capacity and up to 16" bars...

http://oregoncordless.com/product/chain-saw-cs250/

No experience, BUT Lithium Ion is a "good thing". As Nestor pointed
out in another thread and I agree, the Lithium Ion has a circuit to
prevent deep discharge of the battery - prevents damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

Anybody here any experience with same?

Use only for the trimming on occasion and can be long intervals between

usage. Hence, tend to have difficulties keeping gas going--just last week

it started acting up yet again after a few cuts. So, now got to rework

carb or whatever is the issue keeping it from running well presently.

Wondered how well they tend to do...

I use gas powered chain saws. But I also bought an arborist blade for my

cordless reciprocating saw, and I LOVE it.

Have always had gas chain saw too but I'm getting older and find the

constant working on it means it tends to stay even longer between uses

because I figure it'll have to have something done so don't bother...

Don't have the cordless recip saw...altho an idea although I'd like

something for up to 8" or so...

The other option is an electric. I have a Stihl, but like you say,
when you only use them once a year, you wind up with problems. The
Stihl can be more work to get started than the job. So, I bought an
electric Poulan. Used it to cut up 3 big trees, trunk probably 16".
I was very happy with it. If the range isn't too great for a cord,
it's an option.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb writes:
Anybody here any experience with same?

Use only for the trimming on occasion and can be long intervals between
usage. Hence, tend to have difficulties keeping gas going--just last
week it started acting up yet again after a few cuts. So, now got to
rework carb or whatever is the issue keeping it from running well presently.

always run a chainsaw until it stops from lack of fuel when you
plan on storing it for a long period. Use fresh fuel when you
do get it out again and you'll have fewer problems with it.

Most tailed or tailless electric chainsaws are miserably underpowered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2014 3:02 PM, dpb wrote:

Don't have the cordless recip saw...altho an idea although I'd like
something for up to 8" or so...

Starting at thirty bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=cordless+saw

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/14, 12:42 PM, dpb wrote:
Anybody here any experience with same?

Use only for the trimming on occasion and can be long intervals between
usage. Hence, tend to have difficulties keeping gas going--just last
week it started acting up yet again after a few cuts. So, now got to
rework carb or whatever is the issue keeping it from running well
presently.

Wondered how well they tend to do...

--

I have 17 trees, up to 90 years old, and numerous shrubs (up to 5" in
diameter). I used to use a chain saw a lot at the farm. Here, I've used

I depend on two bow saws. One will cut through 6" (12" with 2 cuts).
The other will cut through 9" (18" with 2 cuts).

Cutting green wood, I apply oil to prevent gumming. I apply oil to
prevent rusting. If grit dulls the tips, it will probably be on one
side, causing it to cut in a curve and bind. The solution is a new blade.

I find a bow saw quick and easy as long as I avoid cuts that will bind.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/29/2014 2:48 PM, Frank wrote:

Interesting but that price and $100 battery for infrequently used tool
would bother me. How about a corded model?

Generally could live with it around the house but where was the other
day is beyond easy reach -- on the farm place there's more area w/o
power than the limited area with.

If have the manlift, it has outlet in the bucket and so if close enough
to get the main unit to power it would work well. But, again, for the
present task it's too far from nearest power.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lurndal View Post
Most tailed or tailless electric chainsaws are miserably underpowered.
I'm going to presume that by "tailed" and "tailless" you are referring to corded and cordless.

In the Yukon Territories and Alaska they have lumberjack competitions where they compete on how quickly their modified chain saws can cut through tree trunks. Some of the competitors have chain saws powered by Kawasaki and Suzuki two stroke motorcycle engines that can cut through a two foot diameter tree trunk in only about 5 seconds. Up in the Yukon, where there are 3 men for every 2 women, they call that "entertainment".

Last edited by nestork : August 29th 14 at 11:43 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2014 4:16 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
always run a chainsaw until it stops from lack of fuel when you
plan on storing it for a long period. Use fresh fuel when you
do get it out again and you'll have fewer problems with it.

I've done that with my saws, with some success.
However, that success didn't transmit to my ETQ
generator (which says to shut it off electric,
and leave gas in it). Now I have a generator
that only start son ether, and has a miserable
rod knock.

I'm not pleased.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

Scott Lurndal;3277823 Wrote:

Most tailed or tailless electric chainsaws are miserably underpowered.

I'm going to presume that by "tailed" and "tailless" you are referring
to corded and cordless.

In the Yukon Territories and Alaska they have lumberjack competitions
where they compete on how quickly their modified chain saws can cut
through tree trunks. Some of the competitors have chain saws powered by
Kawasaki and Suzuki two stroke motorcycle engines that can cut through a
two foot diameter tree trunk in only about 5 seconds. Up in the Yukon,
where there are 3 men for every 2 women, they call that "entertainment".

and if they loose a few men, the women will still be well served.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2014 6:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/29/2014 4:16 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
always run a chainsaw until it stops from lack of fuel when you
plan on storing it for a long period. Use fresh fuel when you
do get it out again and you'll have fewer problems with it.

I've done that with my saws, with some success.
However, that success didn't transmit to my ETQ
generator (which says to shut it off electric,
and leave gas in it). Now I have a generator
that only start son ether, and has a miserable
rod knock.

I'm not pleased.

Don't blame the Chinese.
They prolly didn't know Americans would be so stupid as to put 10% ethanol in their fuel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:42:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

Anybody here any experience with same?

Use only for the trimming on occasion and can be long intervals between
usage. Hence, tend to have difficulties keeping gas going--just last
week it started acting up yet again after a few cuts. So, now got to
rework carb or whatever is the issue keeping it from running well presently.

Wondered how well they tend to do...

I have a 100 foot extension cord and a 14 iirc inch AC chain saw.
Works fine. I don't know how well it would work if I had to add another
100 feet or more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Anybody here any experience with same?

Use only for the trimming on occasion and can be long
intervals
between usage. Hence, tend to have difficulties keeping
gas
going--just last week it started acting up yet again after
a few cuts. So, now got to
rework carb or whatever is the issue keeping it from
running well
presently.
Wondered how well they tend to do...

Get yours running again and try this fuel from Stihl. I have
a blower,hedgetrimmer and chainsaw that I use it all the
time.
Like you, I don't use them weekly or even monthly. This is
stable for up to 2 yrs, only drawback is that it's about 8
bucks a quart.
But figuring in the hassle factor of get stuff to run again
after sitting, it's worth it.
I've tried electric stuff and just doesn't have the power
that gas does.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/oil...-fuel/motomix/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2014 9:48 PM, Fake ID wrote:
On 8/29/2014 6:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've done that with my saws, with some success.
However, that success didn't transmit to my ETQ
generator (which says to shut it off electric,
and leave gas in it). Now I have a generator
that only start son ether, and has a miserable
rod knock.

I'm not pleased.

Don't blame the Chinese.
They prolly didn't know Americans would be so stupid as to put 10%
ethanol in their fuel.

Or that one dumb yankee would buy ethanol free
high octane for his two stroke mix needs.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 30, 2014 2:56:58 AM UTC-4, ChairMan wrote:
dpb wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that tip. At $8 a quart, it's actually not that expensive
if you just use it for the final tank before storage. You're right,
saving the hassle is well worth it. Also I think putting some similar
alcohol free product that's not mixed with oil in my snowblower as
it's running on it's last drops of fuel would be a good idea too. IDK
why I never thought of that.

Currently the Stihl is in pieces. It's an 031AV, 1972 vintage. It
was behaving erratically, refusing to start. I've gone through the
obvious and think there is a good chance it's the crankshaft seals.
That's as far as I got. If you look on Ebay, there are folks selling
those 40 year old dinosauers, all beat up, for $350. That says a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 06:52:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Or that one dumb yankee would buy ethanol free
high octane for his two stroke mix needs.

Isn't Yankee capitalized? I forget.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote, on Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:42:18 -0500:

Anybody here any experience with same?

Just this week ...

I am helping a neighbor cut a mile-long path through thick impenetrable
chaparral as we speak ...
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5575/1...a09faa71e3.jpg

After only about 1,000 feet, we were sick of the hand saws, so, my
neighbor bought this electric chainsaw from Home Depot:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5567/1...631229e1_b.jpg

Of course, the puny battery dies abruptly, without any warning, in the
hot sun, in about 20 to 30 minutes of hard use on manzanita & chamise
so we were forced to buy a bigger battery (they were out of the biggest):
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5574/1...2ffa4533_b.jpg

We did notice that the battery heats up and just shuts down, so, having
two allows the first to cool down, which gives it another five minutes
or so, after about a 20 minute rest period.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3910/1...df7e6e27_c.jpg

The chain also needs adjustment every five minutes!
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3890/1...a338620c35.jpg

We're not sure if that's because of the springy nature of the
chaparral (mostly greasewood & manzanita but some oak & toyon).
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3859/1...67b3b430_b.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote, on Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:56:08 -0700:

No experience, BUT Lithium Ion is a "good thing". As Nestor pointed
out in another thread and I agree, the Lithium Ion has a circuit to
prevent deep discharge of the battery - prevents damage.

Hi Oren,

I am helping a neighbor, on weekends, to cut a mile-long path through
the chaparral, and he just bought one of those electric chain saws.

It *does* abruptly shut down the battery, especially on hot days.
We get maybe 20 minutes, maybe 30 minutes, of cutting before that
happens, with the small battery. Then we swap out batteries to let
it cool down.

We're still working on the technique, but, here's a sample of what
we've cut through otherwise impenetrable chaparral just this week:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3843/1...97dd2da6_b.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pico Rico wrote, on Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:44:54 -0700:

I use gas powered chain saws. But I also bought an arborist blade for my
cordless reciprocating saw, and I LOVE it.

Out here it gets hot during the day, so we cut only in the mornings where
I've been helping a neighbor cut a mile-long path through the chaparral.

We started with the gas chainsaw, but in the hills, sound carries far,
especially in the morning as there is no road traffic or other sounds
and there is just air in the hills between houses, so a neighbor asked
us to be more quiet.

So, we cut this 10-foot wide swatch with hand tools only:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5559/1...58cc9d04_c.jpg

But, hand tools (and stepping on branches to break them) got old quickly!

So we bought the electric chainsaw you saw in the other pictures, with
which we can clear a ten-foot-wide path through heavy Christmas Berry
and Manzanita and Greasewood of about 50 feet an hour:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5591/1...eb5eb0b8_b.jpg

Generally, we only work about an hour a day, because the battery on the
brand new chainsaw only lasts about a half hour anyway:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5574/1...2ffa4533_b.jpg

But, we're pretty tired after just one hour of cutting, as we're
both old out of shape men.

Here's a 10-foot by 50-foot swath we did just yesterday:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5576/1...65483bde_b.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote, on Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:02:03 -0400:

I depend on two bow saws. One will cut through 6" (12" with 2 cuts).
The other will cut through 9" (18" with 2 cuts).

I used this bow saw for about two hours in the chaparral before I
began swearing and finally just gave up on using it.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5565/1...28bd79eb_b.jpg

Either you need to have a special "bow-saw skill" that I must not
possess, or the teeth are just too big on the darn thing.

Why is it so hard to cut springy manzanita & toyon & chamise with
that (almost useless) bow saw anyway?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D." wrote in message
[...]

those pictures look just like some I have! BTDT. I used a 24" Stilhl
chainsaw (gas, natch), mostly just for the reach and inertia. It does take
time, mostly the bucking of the brush.

Pace yourselves and call it "the gym".

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/31/2014 10:45 AM, Danny D. wrote:

I am helping a neighbor, on weekends, to cut a mile-long path through
the chaparral, and he just bought one of those electric chain saws.

It *does* abruptly shut down the battery, especially on hot days.
We get maybe 20 minutes, maybe 30 minutes, of cutting before that
happens, with the small battery. Then we swap out batteries to let
it cool down.

Which particular saw and are you satisfied while it does have charge?
What AH capacity.

Worked thru such on grandparent's place in the far distant past...fun
we're having yet, not...

Posted to alt.home.repair

ChairMan wrote, on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:56:58 -0500:

I've tried electric stuff and just doesn't have the power
that gas does.

I am helping a neighbor, in the early morning temperatures,
at this very moment, cut a 10-foot wide swath for about a
mile into the otherwise impenetrable chaparral.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5559/1...58cc9d04_c.jpg

After just the first few mornings, we had to give up on gas
powered chain saws because a neighbor asked us to be quiet
(and we always try to keep the neighbors happy out here).

So then we went to hand tools (yuck), where we found the best
for chaparral were the gardeners snips and a drywall saw:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5565/1...28bd79eb_b.jpg

Now, we're using the battery powered chainsaw, but it only
lasts for about 30 minutes before the heat shuts it down:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5567/1...631229e1_b.jpg

So, with two batteries, the chainsaw lasts about as long as two
(re) tired old men can last in the hot morning sun in the chaparral!
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5574/1...2ffa4533_b.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/31/2014 10:51 AM, Danny D. wrote:

So we bought the electric chainsaw you saw in the other pictures, with
which we can clear a ten-foot-wide path through heavy Christmas Berry
and Manzanita and Greasewood of about 50 feet an hour:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5591/1...eb5eb0b8_b.jpg

Generally, we only work about an hour a day, because the battery on the
brand new chainsaw only lasts about a half hour anyway:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5574/1...2ffa4533_b.jpg

But, we're pretty tired after just one hour of cutting, as we're
both old out of shape men.

These guys have a 4 AH battery instead of the 2.4(?) AH of the
Oregon...they also have a 16" bar version as well as a (recently
discontinued) 10" baby brother which comes w/ 2.4 but can accept the 4
AH pack.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200596735_200596735?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Logging-_-Chain%20Saws-_-32866&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=32866&ci_src=17588969 &ci_sku=32866&gclid=CIG08KnxvcACFWoR7AoddGQASQ

Then again, maybe you wouldn't want any longer battery life for that
purpose...

I asked what you thought of the saw while it had/has charge in another
subthread...I'm still thinking it may be a worthwhile adventure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:01:24 -0500:

Which particular saw and are you satisfied while it does have charge?
What AH capacity.

It's my neighbor's saw, and I'm home right now, so I don't know what
model it is.

So we'll have to look at the pictures, and compare with whatever the local
Home Depot sells, because that's where he bought it.

Here's a shot of the two batteries, neither of which lasts very long:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5574/1...2ffa4533_b.jpg

The smaller battery is what came with it, and the larger battery is what
Home Depot had in stock, based on what my neighbor told me. He said they
didn't have the even larger battery in stock.

Here's a shot of the business end of the thing:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3890/1...38620c35_b.jpg

There is a nameplate on there, that I can expand if you need me to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pico Rico wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 09:00:02 -0700:

It does take time, mostly the bucking of the brush.

Yep. You know EXACTLY what the problem is.

Cutting is easy, but the manzanita and chamise is so intertwined that it
takes a super human effort to just pull it away from where it was.

We have to pull uphill (because we're currently cutting downhill) so
we have to clear behind us first.

Then, we have to THROW the darn thing over a wall about 10 feet high
of impenetrable chaparral!

It's the pulling and throwing which wears us out.

Truth be told, I'm *glad* the batteries only last about a half hour,
as an hour of this has me gasping for breath, and then I have to use
rope to get back up the hill to home!

Of course, if you slip and fall, the punju sticks get you!

Pace yourselves and call it "the gym".

We do. We do! We keep saying it saves us having to go to the gym!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/31/2014 10:38 AM, Danny D. wrote:
[...]

Thanks, good feedback.

I see in more searching that Lowes is carrying a new one from Kobalt w/
12" bar at better price point that has no (displayed anyway) bum ratings
from early users...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_506890-95404-KCS+120-06_4294612757__?productId=50154344&Ns=p_product_qt y_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product _qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

It comes w/ the 2AH battery but apparently there's a 4AH available for
it as well...this is getting to the price point even if it's only
half-serviceable it looks like wouldn't be too bad a deal just for the
occasional trimming task.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:45:16 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

We're still working on the technique, but, here's a sample of what
we've cut through otherwise impenetrable chaparral just this week:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3843/1...97dd2da6_b.jpg

Got your snake boots on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/14, 11:59 AM, Danny D. wrote:
J Burns wrote, on Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:02:03 -0400:

I depend on two bow saws. One will cut through 6" (12" with 2 cuts).
The other will cut through 9" (18" with 2 cuts).

I used this bow saw for about two hours in the chaparral before I
began swearing and finally just gave up on using it.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5565/1...28bd79eb_b.jpg

Either you need to have a special "bow-saw skill" that I must not
possess, or the teeth are just too big on the darn thing.

Why is it so hard to cut springy manzanita & toyon & chamise with
that (almost useless) bow saw anyway?

I can't tell what size it is. I'd use a 21" or smaller on that stuff.
First I'd get what I could with loppers.

Smaller bow saws have teeth suited to smaller wood. The shorter blade
is more rigid. Multiple holes in a blade allow a choice of tensions. I
use low tension for storage and set it taut for cutting. I keep oil
handy because green wood tends to cause gumming. Some saps are worse
than others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 10:05:08 -0700:

Got your snake boots on?

How are these, for rattlesnake boots?
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5593/1...43a95aff47.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 13:54:43 -0400:

I can't tell what size it is. I'd use a 21" or smaller on that stuff.
First I'd get what I could with loppers.

Smaller bow saws have teeth suited to smaller wood. The shorter blade
is more rigid. Multiple holes in a blade allow a choice of tensions. I
use low tension for storage and set it taut for cutting. I keep oil
handy because green wood tends to cause gumming. Some saps are worse
than others.

It's about 25 or so inches long. The teeth are huuuuuge, by way of comparison.
When I try to cut 4 inch manzanita, it cuts but if I try to cut anything
smaller, it just sways with the branch and catches.

I never knew the trick of the oil. That's a neat idea. Does motor oil work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 19:03:19 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

When I try to cut 4 inch manzanita, it cuts but if I try to cut anything
smaller, it just sways with the branch and catches.

Have your neighbor pull the branches in one direction as you cut. It
helps prevent binding on the blade.

On larger trees, climb the tree and tie a rope, to pull it. Stay out
of the way and never wrap yourself in the rope. Allow yourself to let
go when things get nasty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/14, 3:03 PM, Danny D. wrote:
J Burns wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 13:54:43 -0400:

I can't tell what size it is. I'd use a 21" or smaller on that stuff.
First I'd get what I could with loppers.

Smaller bow saws have teeth suited to smaller wood. The shorter blade
is more rigid. Multiple holes in a blade allow a choice of tensions. I
use low tension for storage and set it taut for cutting. I keep oil
handy because green wood tends to cause gumming. Some saps are worse
than others.

It's about 25 or so inches long. The teeth are huuuuuge, by way of comparison.
When I try to cut 4 inch manzanita, it cuts but if I try to cut anything
smaller, it just sways with the branch and catches.

I hate it when it does that! At logger contests, special bow saws can
cut through a 10" block in 4 seconds. That would be a terrible saw for
small stuff.

The little saw I use now has 19.5 inches of exposed blade with 18 inches
of teeth. The points are 1/4" apart. Every 6th tooth is sort of
block-shaped, like a molar, with 2 points. I guess a lot of effort has
gone into bow saw design, and there's a lot of variation.

I never knew the trick of the oil. That's a neat idea. Does motor oil work?

I'm still using the same 36" saw I bought about 1975. I've replaced the
blade once. Way back then, I discovered that oil would keep it cutting
better. I keep a plastic hot-sauce bottle with motor oil by my saws. I
really ought to buy an oil can! WD-40 works fine, too.

I don't use chain saws here, but I use them elsewhere sometimes. If a
saw has a manual oiler, I keep checking to see that the chain looks
oily. If the oiler doesn't work, I let the chain turn as I drip a
little oil on. Oily teeth don't gum up and quit cutting.

Oil can also keep hedge shears or an electric trimmer cutting better. I
hate it when blades won't cut!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/14, 3:01 PM, Danny D. wrote:
Oren wrote, on Sun, 31 Aug 2014 10:05:08 -0700:

Got your snake boots on?

How are these, for rattlesnake boots?
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5593/1...43a95aff47.jpg

Is that what rattlesnakes wear? I saw some tracks yesterday!