Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Battery-powered chainsaws...

dpb wrote, on Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:42:18 -0500:

Anybody here any experience with same?

Just this week ...

I am helping a neighbor cut a mile-long path through thick impenetrable
chaparral as we speak ...
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5575/1...a09faa71e3.jpg

After only about 1,000 feet, we were sick of the hand saws, so, my
neighbor bought this electric chainsaw from Home Depot:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5567/1...631229e1_b.jpg

Of course, the puny battery dies abruptly, without any warning, in the
hot sun, in about 20 to 30 minutes of hard use on manzanita & chamise
so we were forced to buy a bigger battery (they were out of the biggest):
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5574/1...2ffa4533_b.jpg

We did notice that the battery heats up and just shuts down, so, having
two allows the first to cool down, which gives it another five minutes
or so, after about a 20 minute rest period.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3910/1...df7e6e27_c.jpg

The chain also needs adjustment every five minutes!
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3890/1...a338620c35.jpg

We're not sure if that's because of the springy nature of the
chaparral (mostly greasewood & manzanita but some oak & toyon).
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3859/1...67b3b430_b.jpg