Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT kerosene lantern?

Once in a while in cowboy movie, someone wakes up in the morning and
turns up the kerosene lantern, without lighting it.

Is it actually possible to keep a small flame burning all night, small
enough that it doesn't waste substantial money by burning all night, at
cowboy-era prices?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
Once in a while in cowboy movie, someone wakes up in the morning and
turns up the kerosene lantern, without lighting it.

Is it actually possible to keep a small flame burning all night, small
enough that it doesn't waste substantial money by burning all night, at
cowboy-era prices?

That never made any sense to me, but it probably was just to save time in
the movie.

What surprises me more is when they turn down a lamp in the bedroom, the
room goes dark, and they their heads and pillows become lit up - as if they
were on a movie set or something!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 19:25:09 -0400, micky
wrote:

Once in a while in cowboy movie, someone wakes up in the morning and
turns up the kerosene lantern, without lighting it.

Is it actually possible to keep a small flame burning all night, small
enough that it doesn't waste substantial money by burning all night, at
cowboy-era prices?

You can get the pretty low but there will be a little light. Not
quite like TV though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Once in a while in cowboy movie, someone wakes up in the morning and
turns up the kerosene lantern, without lighting it.

Is it actually possible to keep a small flame burning all night, small
enough that it doesn't waste substantial money by burning all night, at
cowboy-era prices?

Hi,
Even smallest flame gives out some heat. In dead winter that can make
quite a difference. Read the story about Napoleon's men dying from
freezing sleeping in tent but ones who had a candle burning did not die.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in :

micky wrote:
Once in a while in cowboy movie, someone wakes up in the morning and
turns up the kerosene lantern, without lighting it.

Is it actually possible to keep a small flame burning all night, small
enough that it doesn't waste substantial money by burning all night, at
cowboy-era prices?

Hi,
Even smallest flame gives out some heat. In dead winter that can make
quite a difference. Read the story about Napoleon's men dying from
freezing sleeping in tent but ones who had a candle burning did not die.

A single candle puts out enough heat to make the difference, in a Russian winter, between
life and death?

Yeah, riiiiiight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote in :

micky wrote:
Once in a while in cowboy movie, someone wakes up in the morning and
turns up the kerosene lantern, without lighting it.

Is it actually possible to keep a small flame burning all night, small
enough that it doesn't waste substantial money by burning all night, at
cowboy-era prices?

Hi,
Even smallest flame gives out some heat. In dead winter that can make
quite a difference. Read the story about Napoleon's men dying from
freezing sleeping in tent but ones who had a candle burning did not die.

A single candle puts out enough heat to make the difference, in a Russian winter, between
life and death?

Yeah, riiiiiight.

Hi,
I spent quite a bit of time as Scout leader when my boy was growing up.
Obviously you never slept out door in dead winter or have survival
training? Canadian winter is pretty deadly too. Read the book about
Napoleon's expedition to Russia.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

Is it actually possible to keep a small flame burning all night, small
enough that it doesn't waste substantial money by burning all night, at
cowboy-era prices?

Anything is possible in a TV studio. One thing they don't show you in those
cowboy movies is what happens when some cowboy used to blowing out the
kerosene lamp at bedtime goes to one of those fancy hotels with the new-
fangled gas lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 16:38:39 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
. ..
Once in a while in cowboy movie, someone wakes up in the morning and
turns up the kerosene lantern, without lighting it.

Is it actually possible to keep a small flame burning all night, small
enough that it doesn't waste substantial money by burning all night, at
cowboy-era prices?

That never made any sense to me, but it probably was just to save time in
the movie.

What surprises me more is when they turn down a lamp in the bedroom, the
room goes dark, and they their heads and pillows become lit up - as if
they
were on a movie set or something!

I assume that is just rich people who keep the lantern burning all
night. For your basic farmer, when the lights are out the will usually
be out until sunup.

farmers got up well before sunup, and thus lit the lanterns before sunup.
Still do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:38:39 PM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:
"micky" wrote in message

Once in a while in cowboy movie, someone wakes up in the morning and

turns up the kerosene lantern, without lighting it.

Is it actually possible to keep a small flame burning all night, small

enough that it doesn't waste substantial money by burning all night, at

cowboy-era prices?

That never made any sense to me, but it probably was just to save time in

the movie.

What surprises me more is when they turn down a lamp in the bedroom, the

room goes dark, and they their heads and pillows become lit up - as if they

were on a movie set or something!

That's EXACTLY where they were. The gaffer (in the Industry the person in charge of lighting the set) designs the light to fall where and how intensely the director wants it.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:27:24 PM UTC-7, Doug Miller wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote in :

micky wrote:

Once in a while in cowboy movie, someone wakes up in the morning and

turns up the kerosene lantern, without lighting it.

Is it actually possible to keep a small flame burning all night, small

enough that it doesn't waste substantial money by burning all night, at

cowboy-era prices?

Hi,

Even smallest flame gives out some heat. In dead winter that can make

quite a difference. Read the story about Napoleon's men dying from

freezing sleeping in tent but ones who had a candle burning did not die..

A single candle puts out enough heat to make the difference, in a Russian winter, between

life and death?

Yeah, riiiiiight.

Depending how well insulated the tent was, between the candle and the men's body heat, it's possible.

The Inuit -- before the whites destroyed their 10,000-year-old culture - could build an igloo expertly very quickly. Once inside & sealed up, they lit a stone lamp burning seal oil. It would make the igloo so warm that the Inuit slept naked between fur blankets.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On 8/23/2014 9:55 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
micky wrote:
Once in a while in cowboy movie, someone wakes up in the morning and
turns up the kerosene lantern, without lighting it.

Is it actually possible to keep a small flame burning all night, small
enough that it doesn't waste substantial money by burning all night, at
cowboy-era prices?

Hi,
Even smallest flame gives out some heat. In dead winter that can make
quite a difference. Read the story about Napoleon's men dying from
freezing sleeping in tent but ones who had a candle burning did not die.

I've heard to always turn down and then blow out the
flame when going to bed. For safety.

Not heard the Napoleon story. I'd love to read that,
if you have URL. Might be good idea to buy candle
lantern, and several candles sized for the lantern.

A couple decades ago, I heard of a "Palmer Furnace".
This is when a lost camper in the winter wraps self
in a garbage bag, and uses a candle for heat. It
sounds better than freezing, but at great risk for
lighting the bag on fire.

I'll copy in the alt survival list, where this might
be on topic.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2014 10:51 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
A single candle puts out enough heat to make the difference, in a
Russian winter, between
life and death?

Yeah, riiiiiight.

Hi,
I spent quite a bit of time as Scout leader when my boy was growing up.
Obviously you never slept out door in dead winter or have survival
training? Canadian winter is pretty deadly too. Read the book about
Napoleon's expedition to Russia.

Years ago, I had email I reposted around. In the
Moscow winter, the electric stayed on most of
the time. Folks would take a filament light bulb
to bed with them to help keep from freezing.

They had expression of parting in the evening which
translates roughly as "Hope to see you alive in the
morning."

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Tony Hwang wrote in :

micky wrote:
Once in a while in cowboy movie, someone wakes up in the morning and
turns up the kerosene lantern, without lighting it.

Is it actually possible to keep a small flame burning all night, small
enough that it doesn't waste substantial money by burning all night, at
cowboy-era prices?

Hi,
Even smallest flame gives out some heat. In dead winter that can make
quite a difference. Read the story about Napoleon's men dying from
freezing sleeping in tent but ones who had a candle burning did not die.

A single candle puts out enough heat to make the difference, in a Russian
winter, between
life and death?

Yeah, riiiiiight.

Actually it does. Winter survival training (one of the reasons I hate snow)
a snow cave shealter with one candle (small group of people) will keep the
inside above freezing. Still cold but livable)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in :

micky wrote:

[...]

Of course, sleep in the tent without any heat source, in the morning
frosty sparkles on the tent ceiling. Sleep with lantern on or a candle
burning, in the morning no frost in the ceiling of the tent. When we're
going out on winter survival training, some times not even a tent. We
have to dig snow cave and make bed with dry leaves with pine boughs,
sleep in arctic sleeping bag.

Heard this story? during Korean war, when Marines were retreating thru
no man's land in the mountains up North Eastern North Korea, Chinese
reds sneaked in in the dark and carried away marines sleeping in
sleeping bags in bitter cold.
Many of them became POW that way. My dad was a military civilian
attached to 2nd marine div. G2 as POW interrogation interpreter.
Arctic sleeping bag is rated for -50 deg. C. But when it is windy,
it could be -70 deg. C weathe(wind chill) If you spit it'll freeze B4 it
hits the ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

NotMe wrote:

Actually it does. Winter survival training (one of the reasons I hate
snow) a snow cave shealter with one candle (small group of people) will
keep the inside above freezing. Still cold but livable)

I've spent several winters in a small camping trailer in southern Arizona.
Nights can get pretty chilly, enough that I've had leftover coffee in a cup
frozen in the morning. I was using an Alladin lantern for light, and it also
kept the trailer pleasantly warm. After mantles and kerosene became
difficult to find, I switched to a LED headlamp for reading and really
noticed the difference in the comfort level.

Alladin seems to have went down the home decor road and are pretty expensive
these days but if you can find one they're a whole different animal than a
kerosene lamp with just a wick. I believe the mantels are easier to find
too. Thorium was used in the mantles and it produces minuscule amounts of
radium-224. You would have to eat a mantle to even come close to the normal
yearly radiation dose but it was too much for the Nannies. Searching for a
politically correct alternative and perfecting the new manufacturing
techniques took several years during which the stocks of the thorium based
mantles were used up.

I'm surprised the Chinese haven't done an Alladin knockoff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 10:00:46 -0600, rbowman

I also bet Kerosene was pretty expensive in 19th or early 20th century
dollars.
That is how the Rockefellers got so rich.

Kerosene was cheaper than whale oil, which had become too expensive for many
people, and the price continued to drop. Rockefeller had the business ethics
of a shark, but the growth of Standard Oil wasn't necessarily bad for the
consumer, particularly in the middle of a price war. Even Ida Tarbell wasn't
upset size and efficiency of Standard Oil, just the predatory tactics used
by Rockefeller.

A by-product of making good kerosene is gasoline and there was no
market for it so much was dumped or burned off. Rockefeller put money
into the development of the internal combustion engine we use in cars
today.

He also built oil pipelines in order to save money the railroads were
charging him to move oil by tanker truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2014 11:07 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Heard this story? during Korean war, when Marines were retreating thru
no man's land in the mountains up North Eastern North Korea, Chinese
reds sneaked in in the dark and carried away marines sleeping in
sleeping bags in bitter cold.
Many of them became POW that way. My dad was a military civilian
attached to 2nd marine div. G2 as POW interrogation interpreter.

Not heard that. What a tactic!

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 10:15:56 -0600, rbowman wrote
in

I've spent several winters in a small camping trailer in southern Arizona.
Nights can get pretty chilly, enough that I've had leftover coffee in a cup
frozen in the morning. I was using an Alladin lantern for light, and it also
kept the trailer pleasantly warm. After mantles and kerosene became
difficult to find, I switched to a LED headlamp for reading and really
noticed the difference in the comfort level.

Have you tried Coleman?
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Lights/Lanterns|/pc/104795280/c/104743080/sc/104428080/Colemanreg-2-Mantle-Dual-Fueltrade-Lantern/1403978.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Flant erns%2Fcoleman%2F_%2FN-1100702%2B1000003095%2FNe-1000003095%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104428080%3FWT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DP PC%26rid%3D20%26WT.mc_id%3DMICROSOFT|cam_Lights_La nterns_Cole|USA%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D43700004902758535% 26gclid%3DCPiM1uyprsACFUjk7AodOg4ALg%26gclsrc%3Dds &WTz_l=PPC%3Bcat104428080
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2014 7:49 AM, CRNG wrote:

Have you tried Coleman?
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Lights/Lanterns|/pc/104795280/c/104743080/sc/104428080/Colemanreg-2-Mantle-Dual-Fueltrade-Lantern/1403978.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Flant erns%2Fcoleman%2F_%2FN-1100702%2B1000003095%2FNe-1000003095%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104428080%3FWT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DP PC%26rid%3D20%26WT.mc_id%3DMICROSOFT|cam_Lights_La nterns_Cole|USA%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D43700004902758535% 26gclid%3DCPiM1uyprsACFUjk7AodOg4ALg%26gclsrc%3Dds &WTz_l=PPC%3Bcat104428080

Ninety bucks for the lantern. I think I paid twenty
for a propane lantern at the big box store. That
seventy bucks buys a lot of tanks of Blue Rhino
and an adapter tube.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

CRNG wrote:

Have you tried Coleman?

It's not a Coleman but it's a mantle propane lamp I use when I want more
than spot lighting. I don't know how the economics stack up against the
Coleman liquid fuel lanterns. Propane is as quiet as a kerosene mantle
lantern, but it's a lot quieter than the liquid fuel models and you don't
have to pump it up periodically.

I should look at the comparative costs. K1 is just about as expensive as
Coleman fuel. I've never tried unleaded in a dual fuel. Maybe they've gotten
better but it used to be unleaded sort of worked in a pinch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ChairMan wrote:

Funny how some things never change. Their trying to build
the XL pipeline, but Warren Buffet(big bammy supporter)
doesn't want it because he makes money from shipping the oil
by his trains(BNR)

Yeah, and somehow the government regulations usually favor the biggest
donors to Foghorn's campaign fund. And those big donors aren't you and me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2014 12:58 AM, rbowman wrote:

It's not a Coleman but it's a mantle propane lamp I use when I want more
than spot lighting. I don't know how the economics stack up against the
Coleman liquid fuel lanterns. Propane is as quiet as a kerosene mantle
lantern, but it's a lot quieter than the liquid fuel models and you don't
have to pump it up periodically.

I should look at the comparative costs. K1 is just about as expensive as
Coleman fuel. I've never tried unleaded in a dual fuel. Maybe they've gotten
better but it used to be unleaded sort of worked in a pinch.

Propane is heavier, and it is fuel specific. You can't
go to town and get a bucket of propane. The tanks are
heavy, also. OK, you can use a plumbers 14.1 ounce tank,
or a hose and 20 pounder.

I love the convenience, clean burn, and lots of heat
out put for winter power cuts.

As you are paying for the 16 ounce heavy steel tanks,
I'd dare to guess propane 16 ouncers are more expensive.

My two mantle Coleman lights the whole room plenty bright
enough that during a power cut everyone knows I've got
some thing in there. Not necessarily advantage. Wick
type kero lantern doesn't make me look totally better
than the neighbors.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Kerosene -- is there a "stabil" for kerosene? David Combs Home Repair 36 December 1st 10 03:59 AM
Does anyone still use lantern toolposts Ignoramus14738 Metalworking 34 February 7th 10 01:27 AM
Lantern LED style Stormin Mormon Metalworking 0 January 1st 09 02:59 PM
DIY Garden Lantern Charlie UK diy 12 June 9th 07 12:50 AM
Odd PIR lantern John Rumm UK diy 5 February 25th 07 05:46 PM