Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OT kerosene lantern?

NotMe wrote:

Actually it does. Winter survival training (one of the reasons I hate
snow) a snow cave shealter with one candle (small group of people) will
keep the inside above freezing. Still cold but livable)

I've spent several winters in a small camping trailer in southern Arizona.
Nights can get pretty chilly, enough that I've had leftover coffee in a cup
frozen in the morning. I was using an Alladin lantern for light, and it also
kept the trailer pleasantly warm. After mantles and kerosene became
difficult to find, I switched to a LED headlamp for reading and really
noticed the difference in the comfort level.

Alladin seems to have went down the home decor road and are pretty expensive
these days but if you can find one they're a whole different animal than a
kerosene lamp with just a wick. I believe the mantels are easier to find
too. Thorium was used in the mantles and it produces minuscule amounts of
radium-224. You would have to eat a mantle to even come close to the normal
yearly radiation dose but it was too much for the Nannies. Searching for a
politically correct alternative and perfecting the new manufacturing
techniques took several years during which the stocks of the thorium based
mantles were used up.

I'm surprised the Chinese haven't done an Alladin knockoff.