Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Killing Driveway Moss / Algae ?

Hello,

Live outside of Boston.

Driveway (Asphalt) is heavily covered with Green Moss
(or is it Algae, or...) which is very hard to remove.

Scraping (just too hard, and too much of) does remove it, but
surprisingly a concentrated bath of Chlorox doesn't seem to kill it.

Might someone suggest a Commercial product that I can spray on it, that
really works, to truly kill this stuff off, without poisoning the whole
neighborhood ?

Thanks,
Bob

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 3:39:32 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Live outside of Boston.

Driveway (Asphalt) is heavily covered with Green Moss

(or is it Algae, or...) which is very hard to remove.

Scraping (just too hard, and too much of) does remove it, but

surprisingly a concentrated bath of Chlorox doesn't seem to kill it.

Might someone suggest a Commercial product that I can spray on it, that

really works, to truly kill this stuff off, without poisoning the whole

neighborhood ?

Thanks,

Bob

Did you try powerwashing it? That has always taken off any algae that
I've encountred.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2014 3:39 PM, Bob wrote:

Might someone suggest a Commercial product that I can spray on it, that

I've found a strong dose of Vinegar will kill it off over a couple of days.
I buy a gallon of cheap vinegar at the grocery store and just pour it
onto the moss.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

My favorite is ammonia, but that's for actual algae.
It will turn the algae to much and you can hose if
off.
If it's really moss that can be scraped off (which has
some height and a root system) then it's easier just
to scrape it off.

"Bob" wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| Live outside of Boston.
|
| Driveway (Asphalt) is heavily covered with Green Moss
| (or is it Algae, or...) which is very hard to remove.
|
| Scraping (just too hard, and too much of) does remove it, but
| surprisingly a concentrated bath of Chlorox doesn't seem to kill it.
|
| Might someone suggest a Commercial product that I can spray on it, that
| really works, to truly kill this stuff off, without poisoning the whole
| neighborhood ?
|
| Thanks,
| Bob
|
| ---
| This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
protection is active.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2014 3:39 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Live outside of Boston.

Driveway (Asphalt) is heavily covered with Green Moss
(or is it Algae, or...) which is very hard to remove.

Scraping (just too hard, and too much of) does remove it, but
surprisingly a concentrated bath of Chlorox doesn't seem to kill it.

Might someone suggest a Commercial product that I can spray on it, that
really works, to truly kill this stuff off, without poisoning the whole
neighborhood ?

Thanks,
Bob

DAGS!
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-mo...top-58355.html
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-mo...ate-67090.html
--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 15:39:32 -0400, Bob

Well, speaking of moss/algea . . . how can one kill/remove the lichen
that grows on the driveway and the trees? It seems like each year
there is more and more of it.

Any ideas chemically prior to power washing?

Thanks
Senior Member

Go to Home Depot and rent an electric floor stripping machine for taking floor tiles off of concrete floors.

In an hour you'll have all the moss/algae off so that you can shovel it into your garbage can(s).

Roberts, 1 HP, 120 Volt Floor Stripper Machine with 2 Double Edge Blades-DISCONTINUED, 10-475 at The Home Depot - Mobile

The electric floor strippers that Home Depot rents might be different, but any floor stripper designed to strip vinyl tiles off of concrete floors will make short work of moss on a drive way.

If your local Home Depot doesn't rent a machine like this, phone up any retail flooring or carpet store and ask to talk to the Installations Manager. Ask him who sells flooring installation supplies in your area. That store will almost certainly rent electric floor strippers like the one above. There will be a damage depost you'll have to pay, but the only thing that's likely to be damaged are the blades and possibly some chipping of your asphalt driveway. That doesn't really matter since your asphalt is probably at least 3 inches thick and you have to repave it every 30 or 40 years anyhow.

Last edited by nestork : August 24th 14 at 02:34 AM

Advice for moss and algae on asphalt roof shingles [email protected] Home Repair 38 November 28th 09 10:08 PM
Killing and preventing moss? Terry Pinnell UK diy 7 November 1st 09 07:09 AM
Killing Moss On Driveway ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 April 28th 08 06:04 AM
Moss algae removal ste UK diy 40 October 8th 07 07:22 AM
Removing Moss From Driveway ? Robert11 Home Repair 6 August 30th 06 05:18 AM