Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

Default Moss algae removal

What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

ste
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

Pressure washer?

Sponge / bucket of soapy water / elbow grease?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

Lobster wrote:
ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

Pressure washer?

Sponge / bucket of soapy water / elbow grease?

Tried all three and it hasn't worked,
The algae is ingrained particulary in recessed areas, I thought a spray
type chemical would remove the algae rather than have to scrub it off.

I've still got moss on some areas of the car which won't come off either.

ste
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ste wrote:
Lobster wrote:
ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan
that has been layed up for a while.

Pressure washer?

Sponge / bucket of soapy water / elbow grease?

Tried all three and it hasn't worked,
The algae is ingrained particulary in recessed areas, I thought a
spray type chemical would remove the algae rather than have to scrub
it off.
I've still got moss on some areas of the car which won't come off
either.

Oxalic acid wash. Some descalers are based on oxalic acid. If not
phosphoric acid - Lime Lite, but try a small area first.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Oxalic acid wash. Some descalers are based on oxalic acid.

I'm not aware of any descalers that use oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is
toxic and descalers are frequently used on potable water supplies.

If not phosphoric acid - Lime Lite, but try a small area first.

Lime Lite is sulphamic acid, not phosphoric.

Sulphamic acid is the acid used in the majority of proprietary
descalers. It's non-toxic, a relatively mild acid and it's easy to make
up from crystals and near-impossible to create too strong a solution
because of its relatively low solubility compared to aggressive acids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ste wrote:

Lobster wrote:
ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

Pressure washer?

Sponge / bucket of soapy water / elbow grease?

Tried all three and it hasn't worked,
The algae is ingrained particulary in recessed areas, I thought a spray
type chemical would remove the algae rather than have to scrub it off.

I've still got moss on some areas of the car which won't come off either.

A scrubbing brush was the best solution for a laid-up Land Rover,
combined with a lot of detergent before a final pressure wash to get it
properly clean.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try uk.rec.caravanning

Chris

ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

ste

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-03 23:58:43 +0100, (Steve Firth) said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Oxalic acid wash. Some descalers are based on oxalic acid.

I'm not aware of any descalers that use oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is
toxic and descalers are frequently used on potable water supplies.

If not phosphoric acid - Lime Lite, but try a small area first.

Lime Lite is sulphamic acid, not phosphoric.

Sulphamic acid is the acid used in the majority of proprietary
descalers. It's non-toxic, a relatively mild acid and it's easy to make
up from crystals and near-impossible to create too strong a solution
because of its relatively low solubility compared to aggressive acids.

and IIRC, Fernox descaler is a fairly inexpensive way to buy it
reasonably easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

Copper sulphate solution then domestos?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

ste

Try uk.rec.caravanning

Chris

Wow! Do they send someone round to clean caravans?
The net at it's best.
;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris" wrote in message
Try uk.rec.caravanning

I was going to say that - don't use any household/garden/patio chemicals
until you've got advice from those who really understand about caravans.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary Fisher
writes
"chris" wrote in message
Try uk.rec.caravanning

I was going to say that - don't use any household/garden/patio chemicals
until you've got advice from those who really understand about caravans.

Brainiac have a good understanding of caravans.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-03 23:58:43 +0100, (Steve Firth) said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Oxalic acid wash. Some descalers are based on oxalic acid.

I'm not aware of any descalers that use oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is
toxic and descalers are frequently used on potable water supplies.

If not phosphoric acid - Lime Lite, but try a small area first.

Lime Lite is sulphamic acid, not phosphoric.

Sulphamic acid is the acid used in the majority of proprietary
descalers. It's non-toxic, a relatively mild acid and it's easy to make
up from crystals and near-impossible to create too strong a solution
because of its relatively low solubility compared to aggressive acids.

and IIRC, Fernox descaler is a fairly inexpensive way to buy it
reasonably easily.

patio cleaner?

That's usually hydrochloric acid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-03 23:58:43 +0100, (Steve Firth) said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Oxalic acid wash. Some descalers are based on oxalic acid.

I'm not aware of any descalers that use oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is
toxic and descalers are frequently used on potable water supplies.

If not phosphoric acid - Lime Lite, but try a small area first.

Lime Lite is sulphamic acid, not phosphoric.

Sulphamic acid is the acid used in the majority of proprietary
descalers. It's non-toxic, a relatively mild acid and it's easy to make
up from crystals and near-impossible to create too strong a solution
because of its relatively low solubility compared to aggressive acids.

and IIRC, Fernox descaler is a fairly inexpensive way to buy it
reasonably easily.

Yes, it's good but it does contain something else corrosion inhibitors
and dyes which can cause damage to (some) materials. The dyes will
colour white nylon components blue, and the corrosion inhibitors can
leave a strong smell on anything they touch. I use Fernox descaler as a
descaler but not on anything that has to come in contact with food.

It may be fine on a caravan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"chris" wrote in message
Try uk.rec.caravanning

I was going to say that - don't use any household/garden/patio chemicals
until you've got advice from those who really understand about caravans.

Mary

Indeed, I'll check out uk.rec.caravanning
Posted to uk.d-i-y

clot wrote:
ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

Copper sulphate solution then domestos?

On paint work?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-03, ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

Scrub with bleach in hot water.

Too much moss, its everywhere, hence a chemical that will remove it
without damaging paintwork.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
ste wrote:
Lobster wrote:
ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan
that has been layed up for a while.
Pressure washer?

Sponge / bucket of soapy water / elbow grease?

Tried all three and it hasn't worked,
The algae is ingrained particulary in recessed areas, I thought a
spray type chemical would remove the algae rather than have to scrub
it off.
I've still got moss on some areas of the car which won't come off
either.

Oxalic acid wash. Some descalers are based on oxalic acid. If not
phosphoric acid - Lime Lite, but try a small area first.

Where would one get this stuff from?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
ste wrote:
Lobster wrote:
ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan
that has been layed up for a while.
Pressure washer?

Sponge / bucket of soapy water / elbow grease?

Tried all three and it hasn't worked,
The algae is ingrained particulary in recessed areas, I thought a
spray type chemical would remove the algae rather than have to scrub
it off.
I've still got moss on some areas of the car which won't come off
either.

Oxalic acid wash. Some descalers are based on oxalic acid. If not
phosphoric acid - Lime Lite, but try a small area first.

Where would i get this stuff from?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

Steve Firth wrote:

On 2007-10-03 23:58:43 +0100, (Steve Firth) said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Oxalic acid wash. Some descalers are based on oxalic acid.
I'm not aware of any descalers that use oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is
toxic and descalers are frequently used on potable water supplies.
If not phosphoric acid - Lime Lite, but try a small area first.
Lime Lite is sulphamic acid, not phosphoric.
Sulphamic acid is the acid used in the majority of proprietary
descalers. It's non-toxic, a relatively mild acid and it's easy to make
up from crystals and near-impossible to create too strong a solution
because of its relatively low solubility compared to aggressive acids.
and IIRC, Fernox descaler is a fairly inexpensive way to buy it
reasonably easily.

patio cleaner?

That's usually hydrochloric acid.

Don't that on my paintwork ;(
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

Mary Fisher wrote:
"chris" wrote in message
Try uk.rec.caravanning

I was going to say that - don't use any household/garden/patio chemicals
until you've got advice from those who really understand about caravans.

Mary

Indeed, I'll also have a look in uk.rec.caravanning
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

clot wrote:
ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

Copper sulphate solution then domestos?

On paintwork?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:13:28 +0100, ste wrote:

What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

Start with the right brush. A PVC-bristled "spid" brush is better than
the usual washing-up brush, especially in gullies and awning channels.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-K...shes-21066.htm

Jeyes fluid is good, and discourages further growth, but it's not the
most powerful. Start with that, see how you get and come back
better-equipped for the sticky bits.

If you're going for acids and you're not an expert chemist, then I'd
suggest buying some ready-made car alloy wheel cleaner. There's a lot of
aluminium trim on a caravan and you don't want to hurt it.

An alkaline cleaner (potassium hydroxide, try "Muc-off" mountain bike
cleaner) is effective too, but can be a problem on aluminium. It's OK on
caravans if you rinse well afterwards, but don't use it on a good bike!

If there's fabric (e.g. Landrover hoods) involved, or old fibreglass
with a porous surface, then a mix of detergent and oxalic acid is best.
You can buy this as wooden patio decking cleaner.

If you're made of money, go to a yacht chandlers. They're the experts on
this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ste" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
ste wrote:
Lobster wrote:
ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan
that has been layed up for a while.
Pressure washer?

Sponge / bucket of soapy water / elbow grease?
Tried all three and it hasn't worked,
The algae is ingrained particulary in recessed areas, I thought a
spray type chemical would remove the algae rather than have to scrub
it off.
I've still got moss on some areas of the car which won't come off
either.

Oxalic acid wash. Some descalers are based on oxalic acid. If not
phosphoric acid - Lime Lite, but try a small area first.

Where would i get this stuff from?

ste, don't go there!

Do ask in the caravan ng.

uk.rec.caravanning.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:13:28 +0100, ste wrote:

If you're made of money, go to a yacht chandlers. They're the experts on
this.

No, caravan people are the experts.

Caravans aren't boats.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:13:28 +0100, ste wrote:

If you're made of money, go to a yacht chandlers. They're the experts on
this.

No, caravan people are the experts.

Caravans aren't boats.

They are boats that don't have to float or cope with slat water.

Getting moss/lichen of cars and caravans is simple. Pressure wash them.
If ts not coming off use more pressure. Chemicals of any sport will not
do the trick.

If paint lifts, repaint. If mastic lumps fly out, re caulk the seams.

Follows with a bit of T-cut to remove any surface paint staining, and a
damn good wax polish to make sure its THAT that gets stained next time.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
clot wrote:
ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan
that has been layed up for a while.

Copper sulphate solution then domestos?

On paint work?

I doubt that it would do much harm to the paintwork. You only need a
very dilute solution to kill the algae.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Oct, 09:54, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Caravans aren't boats.

Maybe, but boats are just caravans stored in perpetual proximity to
water. They have awful moss problems.

Fortunately boat owners have developed techniques for removing same.
Scrubbing with a wad of rolled-up tenners is the usual start.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 3, 8:13 pm, ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

ste

See:

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/product/apr05.html

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete C" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 3, 8:13 pm, ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

ste

See:

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/product/apr05.html

cheers,
Pete.

Thanks, Pete, I'm very diappointed in the few replies from the caavanning
ng.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

clot wrote:
fred wrote:
clot wrote:
ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan
that has been layed up for a while.

Copper sulphate solution then domestos?

On paint work?

I doubt that it would do much harm to the paintwork. You only need a
very dilute solution to kill the algae.

I could try a diluted solution, thanks.

ste
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

Pete C wrote:
On Oct 3, 8:13 pm, ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

ste

See:

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/product/apr05.html

cheers,
Pete.

Loads of stuff on there, thanks

ste
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 3, 8:13 pm, ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

ste

See:

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/product/apr05.html

cheers,
Pete.

Thanks, Pete, I'm very diappointed in the few replies from the caavanning
ng.

Mary

It seams like elbow grease is the only way to go even though i was
hoping for a none energetic method.

ste

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

Thanks, chemicals and elbow grease apparently is the way to go

ste
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ste wrote:
clot wrote:
fred wrote:
clot wrote:
ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan
that has been layed up for a while.

Copper sulphate solution then domestos?

On paint work?

I doubt that it would do much harm to the paintwork. You only need a
very dilute solution to kill the algae.

I could try a diluted solution, thanks.

It's literally only a few parts per million to do its magic. It was a
technique that was used by water utilities to kill off irregular and
rare algal blooms in raw water reservoirs. Such blooms could cause havoc
to the treatment process and allow organic residues into the water mains
that would then act as food to wonderful little creatures that folk do
not like to see in their glass of refreshing cold water! I doubt that it
is in common use today. Environmentalists for one got upset that it was
affecting the "natural" ecology of the reservoirs by killing off food
for the invertebrates that in turn fed the fish that in turn fed the
otters and birds.They seem to forget the fact that the reservoirs were
built to supply water for man!

Seriously, apply and leave for a couple of days and then get on with
cleaning it!

Good luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ste wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 3, 8:13 pm, ste wrote:
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan
that has been layed up for a while.

ste
See:

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/product/apr05.html

cheers,
Pete.

Thanks, Pete, I'm very diappointed in the few replies from the
caavanning ng.

Mary

It seams like elbow grease is the only way to go even though i was
hoping for a none energetic method.

Elbow grease is still required. I have the T shirt. Critical bit is to
get it really clean and then, when dry more elbow grease by polishing!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ste ste is offline

clot wrote:
ste wrote:
clot wrote:
fred wrote:
clot wrote:
ste wrote:
[...]

Interesting, a few years ago we could smell and taste bleach in our tap
water and i phoned the local water authority for an explanation, they
said because of the hot whether they add more chlorine into the water
system to combat bacteria, but at that time we had a sudden cold spell
so the added Chlorine was unneeded which is why we could taste it, we
have used a water filter since and drink purer water allegedly anyway.

However I'll have a go at the caravan, although i probably could have
used that Chlorine water to clean the van with.

cheers

ste
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ste
writes
What's the best way of removing algae etc, its all over a caravan that
has been layed up for a while.

ste

Fenwick's Caravan Cleaner.
--